Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How does he/she do it??!!

harvey

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That giant guy that played with the open tuned, fret slapping finger style stuff. The Robot Monster guy?!?!? How'd he come up with that style?

Guthrey is pretty mesmerizing at times too... Super clean, sometimes overly clinical... Did I just say that? Damn, I must be getting old and soft!

It's been a very long time since I heard someone doing things I didn't know technically how they were doing it. And, I know how they got to where they could do things like that too; thousands of hours of practice and performance.

I'm not saying I can do all those things now, or that I ever will be able to. And, I'm still impressed with skill when I see it. I'm just less impressed with it now than I once was.

What impresses me most now is hearing somebody play a lick or melodic phrase I haven't heard before. Joe Bonnamassa has chops till next year, and he puts on a great show. But when I saw him the other night, he played some pretty non-standard blues licks that were still very bluesy and appropriate in context. THAT impressed me.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, you can mention the obvious, talented and well trained guitarists who play with the typical method. You know, holding the guitar the same way the rest of us do.

MY "amazed" meter goes berserk considering what "Thumbs" Carlysle or Jeff Healy managed to do!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That giant guy that played with the open tuned, fret slapping finger style stuff. The Robot Monster guy?!?!? How'd he come up with that style?

Buckethead? Yeah, he's a jaw dropper.

Shawn Lane and Robert Fripp always amazed me...especially Shawn for his seemingly effortless speed. I've seen video of the guy giving pointers and he'd rip something off like lightning with as little difficulty as someone opening a bag of chips.

Then there's guys like Knopfler & Gilmour, who always seem to find the right note.

Or performers like Michael Hedges & Kaki King who just seem to pluck songs from nowhere...

Eh. I could go on.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

the usual people I talk about:

Albert Lee

George Benson

Brent Mason when he plays similar to either of the above.

Richard Thompson, on electric and acoustic, for skill + inventiveness.

Marc Ribot when he wanders "outside" and manages to play something perfect that's not in the key of song.

Nels Cline when he gets chromatically jazzy.

Robert Fripp... I tried to learn King Crimson's "Fracture" for something, and it almost drove me (and my wife) mad... I had "repetitive motion" nightmares for about a week where I played those patterns in my sleep and woke up all stressed out. I've always thought insanity wasn't the result of a lack of structure and control but rather the result of an attempt at over-imposition of it... I greatly admire Fripp, but I can't inhabit his world. Differing personalities.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Tommy & Phil Emmanuel at Star City, Sydney 2 weeks ago. I can honestly say that I have never witnessed such a display of virtuosity. I have heard no better acoustic guitarist than Tommy. We all know that he has plenty of "flash" in his playing but he also plays with more passion than any other player I have seen. His love of melody is legendary & I have not heard a musician with a better groove.

I also admire Joe Satriani. He is an amazing technician & produces a tone to die for. He wears his influences proudly....thus we hear, during one of his concerts, Billy Gibbons, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix & Chuck Berry, who are all major influences of Joe's.

I am very influenced by Eric Clapton's playing. He has great feel & beautiful phrasing. It was his magnificent guitar work on "John Mayall's Bluesbreakers" that introduced me to blues. Thanks Eric.

There's always a new jaw-dropper popping up. I recently found this guy Tosin Abasi, who records as Animals as Leaders.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=VixG3b-C7Fk

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=1hpeeuIGo6M

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

I have to add something to the question of which players leave (me) shaking (my) head in awe. Since awe is momentary I need to include when it happened, I submit:

1). Danny Gatton playing Sweet Georgia Brown on The Humbler Stakes his Claim (Live 1977). He's like a Ferrari hitting pushing red line on all six gears.

2). Richard Thompson playing Shoot out the Lights on Spectacle (YouTube). This is spontaneous combustion caught on tape.

3). Bill Frisell accompanying Elvis Costello on If I only Had a Brain (YouTube). Understated genius lives!

Brilliance rarely happens in the studio, these are all live. And they are why I gave myself a Tele for Christmas.

One of the most awe inspiring performances I've seen wasn't about speed (although he is fast), or technical ability, but simply the overall experience. Alvin Lee and Ten Years After at the Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, AL, in May of 1974. 'Help Me', 'Slow Blues in C', and 'I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes(pt.1)'/'Extension on One Chord'/'I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes(pt.2)' all transported me somewhere else.

Nirvana.

yeah Tony, Eric Clapton. I'm in 100% agreement there on the Blues Influence.

I read this and will go back and look into some of these

guitarist mentioned. I find so many on the web, so many that are home players/basement guitarists.

T.

Not Buckethead... Although he's awesome too. Don Ross I think?!?!?

Not Buckethead... Although he's awesome too. Don Ross I think?!?!?

You sure it's not Buckethead? He's something like 6'4"-6'6" and has an album called Giant Robot, after all...

Ehhh...I stand corrected- Robot Monster is indeed an album by Don Ross! Never heard of him.

Archived