Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why are so many geeks also musicians?

ITGITC

...our dress code is such that I dress better for gigs than I do for work. ;)

--Dave

Software engineers here dress in shorts & sandals.

Today, we got snow & sleet. It's 32 degrees.

They're wearing shorts & sandals.

True.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to run a statistical regression analysis on your hypothesis. Trying to understand the relationship between the applicable dependent and independent variables, and running the computation through my TRS-80 and double checking it with the slide rule I keep in my (properly protected) pocket, I simply can't figure out what you are talking about. Musicians geeks?? Huh?

Also, there was mention in this thread of guitar players knowing about volume. Might I inquire on which planet said guitar player was discovered?

I thought it was bad here, where I'll see people wearing shorts and flip flops when it's in the 30s or 40s, along with sweatshirts/hoodies. :freak: I guess this is what the previous generation felt like when everyone started wearing "blue jeans." Which means, I am an old man.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I tried to run a statistical regression analysis on your hypothesis. Trying to understand the relationship between the applicable dependent and independent variables, and running the computation through my TRS-80 and double checking it with the slide rule I keep in my (properly protected) pocket, I simply can't figure out what you are talking about. Musicians geeks?? Huh?
:thu:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought it was bad here, where I'll see people wearing shorts and flip flops when it's in the 30s or 40s, along with sweatshirts/hoodies. :freak: I guess this is what the previous generation felt like when everyone started wearing "blue jeans." Which means, I am an old man.

The annual weather reports I get from you southerners make me chuckle. We got a good foot of snow over the last 36 hours.

--Dave

True.

You have a new acronym - Is There Gas In The Coleman?

http://www.safield.co.uk/images/gas-heater.jpg

The annual weather reports I get from you southerners make me chuckle. We got a good foot of snow over the last 36 hours.

:snax: Yeah?

So?

Were you wearing shorts and sandals? :laugh:

Happy Holidays from us Suth-nahz! :wave: (Not Joe... and not Griff.) :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I am not a southerner.

I guess I'm a resident of the south. Southerner sounds like a native, which I ain't.

I was considering saying I was a Yankee. But I tend to avoid it because I get tired of hearing about it, and because I was a Met fan, never a Yankee fan. ;)

Other than that, I'll agree with you. I came for the women. :D

--Dave

True.

I dress better for gigs than work too. I work at home. Right now it's t-shirt and sweat pants. Summer, shorts, tank top, no shoes. The beauty of being an IT geek.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

\horts & sandals.

The east and south still seem somewhat sane, with the shorts and sandals in 30-40 degree temps - at least compared to Colorado. This is the land of truly weird contrasts: I've seen many folks in shorts and sandals when it's in the 30's; however the wind chill is in the teens, or much lower :eek: The wind out here is often beyond belief. Couple that with the quirky music scene, and driving habits - trust me, if you're from back east you will go batshit trying to drive out here - and it's a real interesting place to live. Mountains are beautiful, low humidity nice; otherwise I'll be ready for Nashville, or the Tri-Cities area, NC in a few years; that or a padded cell :D

Back to topic: I like the 'geeks get the girls' theory. There was a Gary Larson, Far Side cartoon that stated it well. It showed the US founding fathers gathered around a desk, collectively writing the preamble to the US Constitution (IIRC).

The document showed several lines of intent and purpose, but mixed in with that, crossed out repeatedly, was the line, "to meet girls.". Can't seem to find a copy of that cartoon; would love to have it.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Gary Larson likes jazz? I had no idea.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/BonnieBeePhotoBee/larson_hell.jpg

Why are so many geeks also musicians?

From Infoworld, here's an interesting article for you monkeys, KLONK.

Something essential draws people with musical talent into the computing world. The link between programming and music is obvious... the link lies in improvisation.

And of course, there's the gear.

Plus geekdom pays well, so that we can afford the friggin gear. Sorry, but it is unfortunately true.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I wish I had more geek in me, so as to understand modern equipment better!
I used to geek out on every bit of gear I got, plus lots I wanted. Reading every page of the manuals, trying things that weren't ... um ... intended, etc. These days, I'd rather play music. I dive into tech on a "need to know" basis.

Count yourself blessed. :laugh:

I came for the women.
I like it when the women come for me. But that's for a different forum, I think.

That Gary Larson cartoon is a hoot. Poor Charlie!

I submit (having not read the thread and not sure if this was raised) that so many geeks are into music because of the math behind music, which definitely favors "geeky" types, because the hallmark of "geekiness" is an exceptional mathematical prowess.

Waiting for someone to step up and say "I suck at math, but I still play music".... :D

I came for the women too. I just don't think they were too happy about when I came...

Q: Why does it take longer for a woman to obtain orgasm during sex than a man?

A: Who cares?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Waiting for someone to step up and say "I suck at math, but I still play music".... :D

errrmmm..... that'll be me :D:D:D...!!!

Also, my slant on the orignal question is that (talking keys players here),

whilst guitarists/bassists & drummers, once they have found their 'dream' axe/kit whatever,

can stick with that for years & years - sometimes a lifetime.

Us keys players seem to be constantly intrigued/lured by the latest developing technology,

& develop an unhealthy (& costly!) interest in all things new :facepalm:!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

This thread has hit a new depths. :facepalm:

Now I remember why I like you guys... ya potty-mouth weasels. :laugh:

http://m.orkutnow.com/en/scraps/animal/weezle.gif

I came for the women too. I just don't think they were too happy about when I came...

Q: Why does it take longer for a woman to obtain orgasm during sex than a man?

A: Who cares?

This guy is about to get down with a girl he just met. He takes his pants off, and she gets a look at his less than adequate member. She says "Who do you think you are going to please with that?" He replies "Me!"

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It's not a mystery to me at all.

Those who show dedication and passion for something outside of themselves and the mundane are "geeks" - musicians, programmers, engineers, craftsmen, seamstresses, chefs, mechanics, and so on. It's what I look for in any person when I meet them; what a person "geeks out" about is the quickest way of knowing them beyond the facade we all develop so we can live in a polite, civilized society.

Anyway, it's logical that those who engage in a creative endeavor at a young age learn a sense of accomplishment early in life, and are naturally attracted to careers that provide that kind of fulfillment.

I think the crossover between musicians and programmers is more incidental, given the timeliness of the Information Age. Fifty years ago, I'm sure you could find the same "saturation" of musicians in mechanical engineering disciplines.

Also, of semi-relevance to this topic ... this episode of The Big Picture - "A Nerd By Any Other Name" (video) - provides a strong case that the biggest geeks in the world are sports fans.

Take that, jocks!

Archived