Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Les Claypool --anybody dig him?

Steve Force

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're a fan of Claypool, and you haven't seen it, you gotta check out Electric Apricot: The Quest for Festaroo. It's like the Spinal Tap of the jamband scene, and Claypool wrote, directed and acted in it. He put together a fake jamband, and they actually played a festival without anyone knowing it was Claypool (he plays drums). It's really, really funny, and accurate as well.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with any of his stuff with Bernie Worrell, for obvious reasons.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I recorded the CCBBB debut performance at Bonnaroo. While it was a bit loose, the energy was wonderful. The crowd certainly helped.

Bernie was kicking ass that day despite the problems with his clavinet. I helped solve the hum issue from the power supply of the Kurzweil by placing some mu-metal between the Kurz and the clav.

I don't recall how much of that made it to the Bonnaroo releases (CD and DVD), but it's worth looking into.

The later CCBBB studio stuff is nice.

I'm an old fart but some of the Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains stuff is kind of neat.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have three Primus CD's: Anti-Pop, Brown Album, and Pork Soda. The latter (and the earliest-1993) being my fave. I have one Claypool CD: "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel presents High Ball with the Devil". As with all of the recordings of his; most I like, some I hate, but all of it is unique and unusual. One recording I'm looking for is his collaboration with Bucket Head and others. I think it was called "Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains". Sounds interesting...even further out there than typical for Les?

CCBBB is very cool stuff. Flying Frogs is pretty good too. I believe Skerik plays in that one. I'll listen to Oysterhead every once in a while; Stewart Copeland has always been God. I have a Sausage album that I haven't listened to much. One thing is that they all sound like Les. There is no shortage of Les if you like him. It actually kind of annoys me how people forget how great Larry Lalonde and the various drummers of Primus are.

Why "Post-Primus"? I saw them this fall! The Oddity Faire, with Portugal the Man and Split Lip Rayfield. Fantastic show! Out of three setlists, my brother and I got two. :cool: Yes, I am bragging. I should almost scan it. Les draws a cartoon on each. Jayski, the current drummer, is sitting on the toilet holding a lamp. "That's the cool thing about these nice hotels, there's plenty of stuff to wipe yer ass with!" (They stayed at the Fantasyland Hotel.)

I dig him, and used to play that Bonnaroo performance a lot. Some really cool stuff on that.

However, Les is one of those guys who's better in smal doses. I like it, but I tire of it.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

His CD "Of Whales and Woe" is very good. "One Better" from that Cd is an awesome tune, Les at his best. I saw him on this tour and they absolutely killed.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived