Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DJ Power Amps vs Pro Audio?

clpete

I have some band mates looking at buying some power amps. There are some real killer deals on high watt DJ amps.

Are amps called DJ amps different than pro audio power amps?

Thanks

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on my own empirical evidence, based on years of experience crossing paths with DJs, amps that are "DJ" amps don't go any quieter than 9 out of 10 on their volume knobs... and they put out WAY more bass than is musically satisfying. ;):P

And now, the facepalm. :facepalm:

:snax:

What amps are you looking at? A lot of them are deceiving with how they advertise. A 1000 watt amp, upon taking a closer look at the specs, may be 100w/ch rms at 0.1% THD into 8ohm. Then they'll say something like 500w/ch peak at 10% distortion into 4ohm.. Thus the big giant 1000watt! Sticker on front. Gotta really watch the specs.

Also DJ amps often have RCA inputs and 1/4" speaker outs instead of XLR/1/4" balanced inputs and speakon outputs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yeah, I knew that the specs can be made to look like something there not, but I'm not sure how to tell especially when the full spec is not given.

Here is one of the amps they are looking at. It's for sale for $180 on e-bay.

power amp

I have suggested that they pick up a this Crown amp, but it's their money.

Crown amp

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I would not buy anything that does not bother to list the slew rate and damping factor in their specs. These are often hidden when they are poor and matter a whole lot in determining the clarity and "punch" of the amp.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I would not buy anything that does not bother to list the slew rate and damping factor in their specs. These are often hidden when they are poor and matter a whole lot in determining the clarity and "punch" of the amp.

- no damping factor

- no slew rate

- no specific power output (x watts at 1Khz test tone vs x watts 20-20Khz)

Oh, and by the way, 1000 watts bridged mono into 2 ohms isn't much better than the average B***er cheapo amp.

A Crown XLS 1000 will outdo that piece of crap, and it'll sound better and probably last longer as well. Did I mention the Crown streets for $300?

Archived