Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone tried the ZOOM b9.1ut?????

Andy Saxton

I am on the market for a multi FX pedal and I like the look and sound of the ZOOM b9.1ut

I found a video of Stu Hamm using it.

The multi directional expression pedal seems interesting.

I know Boss and Digitech have multi FX pedals but are they any good?

WWW.ANDYSAXTON.COM

BASS TEACHER / SESSION MUSICIAN / PRODUCER / COMPOSER

ENDORSEMENTS:

WARWICK

MARK BASS

ELIXIR STRINGS

AUDIO TECHNICA

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems the multi fx thing is some what frowned upon if you are in a touring band, it seems the way to go is a pedal board with specific pedals but these newer multi fx units coming out sound good to me! Some of the new Line 6 multi fx units are very interesting too.

WWW.ANDYSAXTON.COM

ENDORSEMENTS:

WARWICK

MARK BASS

ELIXIR STRINGS

AUDIO TECHNICA

I've seen Christian McBride performing live with a Boss ME-50B.

Not my cup of tea, but it seemed to work for him. ;)

At one point I bought a Zoom unit (don't remember which one), brought it home and plugged it in and immediately drove back to the store and returned it. It was very noisy and none of the effects would do what I wanted them to do.

Victor Wooten uses a Boss GT-6B.

Many artists use Line6 units

I have an old Zoom multi FX (can't remember the model)it is actually a decent little unit. I also have a Behringer Vamp2 that is very cool device. I use it as my practice tool but I have used it live on a couple of occasions.

The real key to multi-effect units is to get beyond the generic factory presets and learning to tweak and customize the sounds and make your own programs.

I have a large collection of FX pedals and I don't ever envision doing away with individual pedals. However, I am becoming increasingly interested in multiFX units especially th Line6 M13, Boss GT-10B, and the Roland VB-99. The Zoom unit you mentioned has been getting generally favorable reviews over at the TB Effects forum.

As with anything else, there is no substitute for getting your own hands on it and test driving it yourself. If/when you do be sure to post a review for us here.

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

That Roland VB-99 V-Bass Modelling System looks tasty! also check out a company called Fractual Audio, they have made a rack mounted guitar amp modelling fx unit like nothing else called AXE FX. Apparently you can use it for bass aswell but be warned there is a hefty price tag.

WWW.ANDYSAXTON.COM

ENDORSEMENTS:

WARWICK

MARK BASS

ELIXIR STRINGS

AUDIO TECHNICA

Yep pricey but it is a very good unit by all accounts. The Roland VB-99 with the GK3 pickup/contoller ain't cheap 'niether!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I have it and like it a lot. I don't really use it for weird sounds and the like. My main use for it to get the sound I'm looking for for various different cover songs. I'm not really into over processed bass sounds, just to get the right sound for cover stuff and it works perfect for that. It also functions as great tuner and USB interface for recording on the computer. Hope this helps.

I've owned the Zoom B9.1ut for a while now, and I love it. As with any digital pedal, the "stock" sounds are designed to "wow" you with the extremes that they can make.

The nice thing about this pedal is that you can customize 80 (?) of your "own" sounds, in addition to the stock sounds, so you can severely dial down (or up) the effects.

Imagine having individual pedals on a pedal board, with each pedal set to the "crunchiest" or highest setting of "wah"... So you use the presets to see what is out there, then you start playing and programming your own.

Note, it is not for people who are technology-averse... Its menu system could be improved, but once you read the manual and play for a while, it makes sense.

I'm keeping mine!

Dekker

Authorized Canadian builder of fEARful bass cabinets

http://www.SHOBass.com/ - English

http://www.fr.SHOBass.com/ - French

I had a Zoom Multi effects pedal for about a year. I never did learn how to use it. Much too complicated for my generation. Hell, I don't even know how to send a text message. I use my cellphone for telephone calls.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived