Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

aretha franklin has cancer.

rumpelstiltskin.

i read in the detroit news this morning that aretha has pancreatic cancer. she recently had an operation to treat it, which in itself is a good sign. 85% of pancreatic cancer patients are not candidates for surgery. however, only 5% of pancreatic cancer patients have a prognosis to live for five years.

please pray for aretha if you pray. or, you know, do whatever you do.

robb.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspected when she cancelled all her engagements it had to be serious like heart or cancer. I didn't think it would be this serious. It doesn't look good but I pray she pulls through. Even if for just a little while longer.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

the detnews article mentions both jobs and ruth bader ginsburg as survivors. it also notes patrick swayze and michael landon as victims. i believe landon smoked, and i know swayze smoked a ton. i don't know whether aretha, jobs, or ginsburg smoked. apparently that's the primary risk factor.

robb.

i believe landon smoked, and i know swayze smoked a ton. i don't know whether aretha, jobs, or ginsburg smoked. apparently that's the primary risk factor.

My dad died of pancreatic cancer. He had smoked in his youth but quit 50+ years before he died. For the most part, it's a pretty short prognosis. He died within 3 months or so of being diagnosed.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Unfortunately, cases like Jobs and Ginsburg are the rare exceptions. Smoking is one factor but there are others--including obesity and poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, and diabetes.

Mama, sorry to hear about your dad...

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Smoking is one factor but there are others--including obesity and poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, and diabetes.

Yeah, excessive alcohol consumption was definitely a factor with my dad. You drink long and hard enough, and something is bound to end up getting pickled.

Mama, sorry to hear about your dad...

Thanks, r. He passed in '98. Always the realist, he was very philosophical about it: "I don't wanna go, but I gotta go." He was 83 at the time, and the end was quick and pain-free. May we all enjoy the same high-quality departure.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Aretha's music was a big influence in my music career. My wife and I have been her fans since the 60's. When I was traveling on the road in the late 60's I had gotten my first cassette player and out of the first number of cassettes I had purchased half of them were Aretha. I heard this on the news last night and felt very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with her!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived