Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Could it possibly be 30 years ago?

kenfxj

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
where were you when you heard? I was at college watching Monday Night Football with the sound turned down. My roommates girlfriend, who lived in North Jersey, called him to say Lennon's death had just been announced.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I was at a bar in Queens with a couple of buddies watching Monday Night Football. I was talking about this girl I'd met at a party two days earlier. She turned out to be my wife and the mother of my children.

After Cosell delivered the news I said "Who the f*** would want to kill John Lennon?" Crazy world we live in.

Push the button Frank.

I was playing a gig at a nice club in Detroit. In a far corner was a TV with the game on. Nobody was paying much attention except for a few fellows. After the announcement, one of those guys yells "John Lennon's been shot!" We mostly were left stunned and speachless. A lot of people left, the owner said "Don't worry about playing the rest of the night" and the band and staff and a few customers sat around talking about John's (and the Beatles) influence on us.

Interesting story I heard on the radio today:

The host mentioned he was at a Iggy Pop concert that night. When Iggy came back out for an encore, he did a Stooges' type version of "Imagine".

Afterwords, he said one of the crew had told him what had happened and the band went back out and performed "Imagine" without saying why. The crowd didn't know.

When asked why he didn't mention what happened he replied "Nobody would have believed me."

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I was talking about this girl I'd met at a party two days earlier. She turned out to be my wife and the mother of my children.

Wow, Ken, your memory seems to be lacking.

Oh, wait. This was BEFORE she became your wife and the mother of your children. Heh-heh. I get it now.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I was talking about this girl I'd met at a party two days earlier. She turned out to be my wife and the mother of my children.

Wow, Ken, your memory seems to be lacking.

Oh, wait. This was BEFORE she became your wife and the mother of your children. Heh-heh. I get it now.

gold

The maid's gone all cranky and the cook's acting queer

Oh what a terrible place is a pub with no beer

Surprisingly, I don't remember the exact moment I learned of it. But my friend claims that John Lennon's murder sent her husband into a funk that ultimately ended their marriage.

After Cosell delivered the news I said "Who the f*** would want to kill John Lennon?" Crazy world we live in.

That was almost EXACTLY my reaction.

I was in my dorm room at college, and my roommate (a big Beatles fan) came in and said someone had just shot John Lennon.

And I thought, "Why would anyone want to shoot John Lennon?"

A few months later another nut shot the president -- was trying to impress his "girlfriend," actress Jodie Foster.

Crazy, crazy stuff.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Surprisingly, I don't remember the exact moment I learned of it. But my friend claims that John Lennon's murder sent her husband into a funk that ultimately ended their marriage.

Well, God bless John Lennon, but THERE'S an unfortunate sense of proportion...

I'm sure they had other problems, but that seemed to be the tipping point in their marriage.

Well, God bless John Lennon, but THERE'S an unfortunate sense of proportion...

I'm sure they had other problems, but that seemed to be the tipping point in their marriage.

I'm sure you're right, but I don't think that changes my POV on it any. I mean, the tipping point in my previous marriage was when I found out my wife was apparently, um, "seeing" every man in the tri-county area but me. There's a tipping point. Somebody gunning down a member of my family or a close friend, THERE'S a tipping point. Some famous person I never met, no matter how talented, getting shot to death? Nah.

Archived