Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: FInale users (poll included!)...

Cygnus64

Which looks better?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which looks better?

Actually one of my students, an 11 year-old girl, just had her piece performed by Eighth Blackbird! (that's the sound of my horn tooting). :D

Very cool! Do tell, did she win a contest? I'm playing with them next month for the first time, a piece by Jennifer Higdon.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for how they compare looks-wise, I'd be interested in comparing the two.

I've done one. The problem is that I don't know how well I've done in Sibelius, whether it can be better or not (probably better). I downloaded a file from the Finale site (from an individual),and made my own version in Sibelius (5) of the same page. Send me your email and I'll send you both for comparision.

Actually one of my students, an 11 year-old girl, just had her piece performed by Eighth Blackbird! (that's the sound of my horn tooting). :D

Very cool! Do tell, did she win a contest? I'm playing with them next month for the first time, a piece by Jennifer Higdon.

Actually they commissioned the piece... just kidding :D

It was a project in some of the schools, called the Vermont MIDI Project, where kids were mentored by established composers via a website. A number were selected for an initial performance, and then a small handful were selected for the most recent with Eighth Blackbird. Most of the selectees were in high-school. I'm particularly proud of this student- not that I was involved in her composition- but I do focus more on composition and theory than your average piano teacher ;)

Man, you get some sweet gigs, Cygnus!

I'm particularly proud of this student- not that I was involved in her composition- but I do focus more on composition and theory than your average piano teacher ;)

Give yourself a pat on the back too, you're probably her most important influence in music, the inspiration to try different things. :cool:

I've been messing with Sibelius today. There's a lot of things I've never attempted with it. It's more customizable than I thought. Under "House Style/Engraving rules", there are a lot of options I didn't even know existed. Actually I always thought I would just screw it up. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

After trying the Finale demo extensively and the Sibelius 6.2 demo, I have purchased......................Sibelius 6.2. :thu:

It was a tough decision.In some ways, I feel Finale is the better program. The magnetic layout in 6 is what made me upgrade, that and some other new features. I think the main problem was that I never sat down and RTFM, something I'm going to do over the break.

The magnetic layout and the "optimize staff spacing" features are really cool. My older scores look better instantly in 6. :cool:

Archived