Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good studio subwoofer to pair with ADAM-A7's

Steve Force

As always, I am tinkering with my man-cave project studio. I want to start running my keys through a mixer (so that I can share with my DAW) into my ADAM-A7 nearfield monitors in STEREO (Kiss my ass, Kanker! ;) )

OK, any suggestions on active subwoofers that would work with this? I am thinking used so help a brother out here...

Thanks.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way to run a sub with A7s (IMO) is to let the A7s go full range rather than shelving them at 80 Hz. They start to lose energy naturally a little below 60 Hz, so if you run 'em full range and just dial a sub in (probably not even that much volume) rolled off around 50-55 Hz, you'll get a better extension of the A7s sound.

Consequently, you probably just need something that can give you a little bit of boom, so pretty much anything is worth trying. Not necessary to get anything for big $$$.

Hope that helps. :)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The best way to run a sub with A7s (IMO) is to let the A7s go full range rather than shelving them at 80 Hz. They start to lose energy naturally a little below 60 Hz, so if you run 'em full range and just dial a sub in (probably not even that much volume) rolled off around 50-55 Hz, you'll get a better extension of the A7s sound.

Consequently, you probably just need something that can give you a little bit of boom, so pretty much anything is worth trying. Not necessary to get anything for big $$$.

Hope that helps. :)

dB

Thanks, Dave!

What wattage (RMS) and approx. speaker size might work the best in your scenario?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Interesting computations to consider a 8 inch, 12 and even 15", check their output at say 30 Hz, and compute the power needed to get unresonating, direct from speaker waves at 1 meter which allow the loudness curve of e.g. 80 dB(sound) at 1kHz to be reproduced (don´t skip those extra zeros in power requirements, even with 15 inchers).

So, dB, not much point in spending the dough on something like the Adam Sub8, then?

I ask because for some time I, too, have been on the hunt for a sub to pair with my Adam A7s, and I had always been biased toward the Sub8. If I can get by with less, however, I'd be happy to save the duckets!

Noah

Not if you're gonna run the A7s full range and just use the sub to extend the bass a bit and plan to run the A7s full range. Just about anything decent will work for that.

If you want to cross over higher and shelve the A7s, it may be worth it to consider a more expensive sub.

If you're asking me if there is any advantage to matching an ADAM sub with your A7s as opposed to another manufacturer's unit, there is none that I know of.

dB

(Kiss my ass, Kanker! ;) )
If you can have your ass down here to Indy and at my house in the next 45 minutes, I'll most certainly kiss it. :laugh::snax::wave:

Firing up my helicopter as we speak! ;)

...knew there was something going on here.

You guys... get a room. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

@Gassy - :love:;)

I decided to get a Yorkville YSS2 150w 10" Studio Subwoofer that I found for around $240 (new). Figured it had the balls to kick and I have had extremely good luck with Yorkville/Traynor over the years.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/MMMBCom/images/yorkville_yss2.jpg

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Sounds perfect. :thu:

Setup tip - if you can close your eyes and locate it/hear where it is in the room when it's on, it's probably too loud.

dB

Actually, if it's a good sub and you're using a good crossover, regardless of how loud it is, you shouldn't be able to locate it, because those frequencies are nondirectional to the human ear.

If you can localize it, you're passing too high a frequency to it (or it's distorting, which is another matter entirely)

Actually, if it's a good sub and you're using a good crossover, regardless of how loud it is, you shouldn't be able to locate it, because those frequencies are nondirectional to the human ear.

Yeah, that's what the books say...

However, my experience tells me that bad placement/too much volume can let you locate where a sub is pretty easily. Since most people have next to no idea how to place a sub properly, it tends to be easier for someone without room tuning placement experience to dial the sub in using the volume, even if it may not be ideal from a mathematical POV.

However, if all you're trying to do is add a little low end love (as opposed to trying to produce a tuned full range reference system), then the math really doesn't matter that much - then, it's all about taste.

dB

I prefer "calibrated" over "tuned", but my (pretty serious) DIY system shows me probably parts of dBs are audible, but on the other hand, the one distortion OR room effect isn´t the other. An interesting test is to dare to put a good mic in the sweet spot, play some material, record it (possibly using one channel+sub), and play the recorded signal over the same monitors. If that doesn´t sound horribly muffled, bad boomy or very distorted, then you have a pretty good monitoring system! Nice for as film lovers too: every sounds change from the original done on unsufficient monitoring, including synths and samples must IMO be accounted for, unless the film is clearly made for a matching-the-monitors theatre.

Theo

Sounds perfect. :thu:

Setup tip - if you can close your eyes and locate it/hear where it is in the room when it's on, it's probably too loud.

dB

If you can localize it, you're passing too high a frequency to it (or it's distorting, which is another matter entirely)

Thanks for the excellent advice, Dave and Griff!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

UPDATE: the Yorkville Subwoofer arrived and it really does sound great with the ADAM-A7's.

I took dB's advice and dialed the crossover back to 60Hz with the subwoofer at the 50% volume point. Set the A7's at 0dB.

Sounds great. :thu:

Still tweaking tho.....

Tips???

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

You wanna know what sounds frigging cool?

My Moog Little Phatty "Mary Alice" patch stepped down two octaves (running through this new subwoofer) while playing basslines for my Hammond XK-3C/Leslie 122! Oh man that sounds heavenly....

Life is good.

:thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Steve, the sub seems like a really good deal price wise too!

The weight seems pretty good too - 37 lbs for a sub is pretty good.

I've always been looking for a sub to pump up the organ bass. Would it hold up to gigging?

Build quality-wise I would think so.

However, I really don't think this is a "gigging" subwoofer per-se. only RCA jacks, two-way ports, only 150WRMS output--pretty low for most venues I would think.

For gigging, I would go more towards this: JBL EON Subwoofer on eBay.

My thoughts anyway. :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Thanks Steve and esp. for the link.

I've seen the newest style EON subs and they've somewhat heavy at 55 lbs I never thought of looking at an older style EON.

Sounds like that sub is working out for you! :)

It is indeed!

Oh, BTW I own one of those EON subwoofers as well and really like it.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived