Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My band is done... at least with me in it.

Ross Brown

I have posted many times about how I thought our band was good, musically, but boring. I tried things like trying to get the band to look more professional but got resistance from the front man. Learning new material was like pulling teeth because no one would work on the songs at home and/or we would cancel practices. We have just one guy do all of the singing, he is good, but after a while listening to the same sweet vocals all night long gets boring. It goes on and on and on

I think the guys in the band thought were doing ok since we played 40 shows this year. Without going into the whos responsibility is it to bring a crowd, the venue or band discussion, we played too many gigs to only a handful of people. We started the year with 9 regular venues in the rotation. Five dont want us back and one went out of business. This seems like failure to me.

We had a band meeting on Thursday evening (after several tries to schedule one). We came up with several good ideas. None of them really addressed making our show more interesting. Oddly, the guitar player took all of his equipment (guitar, amp and pedal board) that he leaves in the rehearsal room normally. I asked him about it later that night, ie I asked him if he was quitting. He said dont know.

Yesterday we got an e mail from him listing a bunch of gripes that he didnt mention at the meeting that amounted to, he didnt want to change anything.

These are decent guys but my time is up in this band. I need to move forward and find ways to stretch myself, not die of boredom. I resigned from the band.

Thanks for listening.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This me sounding like a broken record again: 80 percent putting a band together and keeping it together is getting "the hang" right.

Sounds to me like many of the members themselves were bored with the band -- no motivation to work at making it better.

Sorry to hear about this, Ross. Hope a new project comes along for you soon.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Sorry to hear it Ross, but it looked like you were headed that way for a while. Give it time and something will happen. You're a bass player and your position is in demand!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Good move, Ross, and I'm sure it will work out well.

As stated before, you gained a lot of experience in both playing and in making connections with club owners and probably other musicians. Take some time to figure out what kind of band opportunities there are, and you'll be ready to start something new.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Been there done that more times than I can easily count. Believe me, even though it sucks when a band you have invested so much of your time and energy into crashes and burns, it is better in the long run to move on. Like you said, you realized 6 months ago it was in the tank but it feels secure down in the comfort zone and it's easy to rationalize that it just needs MORE effort/committment and you just end up wasting the time you could use to be productive in a more positive endeavour.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will bounce back and be in a better situation sooner than you think!

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Bass players with a professional attitude such as you have should not have a problem finding a better situation. Getting out and networking and playing with others will help you to continue your growth as a bass player.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Where you at in Pa Ross? I am 20minutes east of pittsburgh, maybe looking to start a band. let me know.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

In another 6 months, you'll be wondering why you hung on so desperately for as long as you did.

We all hate these things when they happen but it really is for the best when they do

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Hey Ross- I know how you feel. It's especially frustrating when you know the band has potential but there is a lack of work ethic. I have a successful band, we do some 45 nice shows a year, and overall I am pretty happy with the guys. Biggest gripe is not meeting our potential thru lack of effort on learning new tunes and the selection of the new tunes we do learn. Get's stale for us and our fans to hear the same stuff. Anyway, reading your posts, you appear to be pretty grounded- I imagine you will be setting some ground rules on your expectations when you hook up with something new.

Spoke with the singer last night. He wanted to make sure we remained friends and stayed in touch, come see each others bands, etc. It was a good conversation. He too was surprised by the guitar players email and knew what would happen at that point. He said they will probably look for another bass player and he is also auditioning with other bands. Cool.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived