Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Weight? The Hidden Problem...

SteeVtheRipper

My friends MP8 is almost ninety pounds and with the ATA case about 100lbs. ... Also add the weight of the case and 50lbs becomes 60. I carry a 30 lbs board, but with the case its 39.

I'd love to know what cases you're buying that weigh 9 and 10 lbs! Especially one that holds a 90lb keyboard.

The SKB stuff is pretty light, but for an 88weighted board, even the slimline comes in at 30lbs.

But back to the original topic, the more you move these things, the more you wish they weighed less, especially going up stairs, or long, convoluted load ins, or in a Chicago winter.

My Nord Electro came in regularly at 49lbs at every airline check in (in an SKB, 64lbs in its flight case); my Motif 8 weighed 99lbs in its SKB case. Yes, we strive for lower weights on our keyboards because if youre gigging 2 or more times a week, it starts to become a drag carrying a heavy keyboard, especially if youre carrying more than one keyboard and some racks. Yes, I carried a Rhodes and a Hammond and leslies for years, it doesnt get any easier. Ever try hoisting an A90 or a Wurli 200 on top of your Hammond? Even now that my rig is reduced to an S90es (still 50 lbs, 82 in its case) and an XK1 (33 lbs, 57 in its case), and a pair of 6space racks, and a QSC k10, I would like to reduce the weight of the keyboards. But functionality and sound are the places I wont compromise.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the best feeling 88keyboards Ive ever played, and at 35lbs in its own case! Unfortunately, it and I never got along (nor the replacement I was sent, nor my friends model) as I could make it hang within a minute of standard playing. Yet my friends was rock solid (he had recommended this to me)until I played it. He couldnt get it to hang, but I could. Freaked him out. I would have loved to have gotten to the bottom of the problem, but Doepfer was no help, and the people at Analogue Haven (I would never buy from them again) were rude and in the end, wacked me for 2 way shipping AND a substantial restocking fee. But that keyboard felt amazing and I would like to figure out a way to get my hands on one and troubleshoot our relationship.

LMK4+

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

My main keyboard is just over 50 lbs, and I carry it in a light rigid-foam Protec case which is less than 5 lbs. With a shoulder strap, it's a pretty easy carry, and I slide it behind the front seats in my minivan, which is easy on the back. I take care to lift with my knees and avoid bending over. It's easy enough to carry and set on my stand.

I look at a 50-lb keyboard which has so many useful sounds as a godsend, compared to schlepping a CP70, Rhodes, and synth or two as back in the bad old days.

However, I have to admit than when I just grab the NE2 for practice, jam, or small gig, I really do notice the difference. (I also miss having a decent piano.)

I'm 53 and have never been particularly strong. For me, with a light case 50 lbs is way doable if it's short enough and with the right vehicle. But, I always carry my own gear. I'd need a rigid case for use in a band van.

While I admire the RD70 and S90 series, they're too big and heavy to be interesting to me. (The size may actually a bigger problem than the weight.)

10 or 15 years from now, 50 lbs will be over my limit. I often keep gear that long, so I won't be buying many boards over 50 lbs.

Oh -- I have had to learn not to swipe my NE2 right off the stand with a palm smear! Note to self: UNWEIGHTED KEYS, go easy!

I've been really cutting back on the weight of my rig. I went from 2 15' Peavey cabinets @ 30 lbs each, an SKB 8 space rack with a Yamaha power amp (80 Lbs., or so it felt) to a 4 space Gator rack with a couple modules (maybe 20 Lbs) and a QSC K-10 (32 Lbs)

I cut down a bit in weight on my boards as well. Went from a 45 Lb. Korg SP-200 to a 35 Lb. Yamaha MM8. Cut back from 3 boards to 2. Still have the Pro3TM @ 21, and the Mackie 1202 VLZ at almost nothing. Much easier to lift into the back of my pickup.

Plus the improvement in feel and sound is a major plus.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Oh -- I have had to learn not to swipe my NE2 right off the stand with a palm smear! Note to self: UNWEIGHTED KEYS, go easy!
Jeff - Velcro!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm 53 and have... had to learn not to swipe my NE2 right off the stand with a palm smear! Note to self: UNWEIGHTED KEYS, go easy!

You BRUTE! :laugh:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/4/128965452009289025.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I always show up early to the gig BEFORE any of the other band members arrive. This is so I can leisurely set up and have all the room I want on stage to maneuver my cases around, etc.....

Late contribute here, but I find this remedies at least 50% of the load-in problem.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I always show up early to the gig BEFORE any of the other band members arrive. This is so I can leisurely set up and have all the room I want on stage to maneuver my cases around, etc.....

Late contribute here, but I find this remedies at least 50% of the load-in problem.

Of course, there's always the other end of the evening, as you implicitly acknowledge :)

However, personally, at that point of the proceedings, the thing which really gets on my nerves is not other band members trying to pack up in the same, tight space but the idiot members of the public who manage to find _exactly_ the wrong space to stand in while you're trying to load heavy gear out. Doesn't seem to matter how many times you (politely) shout things like "mind your backs, coming through, heavy load please" etc etc. Grr!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I've been really cutting back on the weight of my rig. I went from 2 15' Peavey cabinets
FIFTEEN FOOT CABINETS! Wow, you really da man! Must have a big truck, too. :laugh:

Now you know why I'm really happy with the K-10. :)

Guess I forgot the hit the "shift" Key :blush:

Willie Dixon

Of course, there's always the other end of the evening, as you implicitly acknowledge :)

However, personally, at that point of the proceedings, the thing which really gets on my nerves is not other band members trying to pack up in the same, tight space but the idiot members of the public who manage to find _exactly_ the wrong space to stand in while you're trying to load heavy gear out. Doesn't seem to matter how many times you (politely) shout things like "mind your backs, coming through, heavy load please" etc etc. Grr!

I've got a gig this Saturday where I'll load in REALLY early, then come back later. Coming in just before the gig is a major PITA in this place. Stage is upstairs, and they run karoake for 4 hours before we play. Large crowd there when you pull up, and there are ALWAYS people that feel like standing in the stairway, and get offended when you politely ask them to move so you can get your gear up the stairs.

Willie Dixon

I don't miss bringing PA. My old band we brought our own PA, Monitors, amp/mixer rack. Plus 2 keyboards, rack, my bass, sax, etc. Load-in/out was a major PITA and took forever.

Now it's IEM's and we don't even own PA - house sound or hire it out. I can get my 2 keyboards, guitar, sax, rack, stands, cables, and giant swatch watch in 3 trips. Tear down and load out at the end of the night can be done in 10 min. I remember it sometimes taking 1-1/2 hour in the old band.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I can get my 2 keyboards, guitar, sax, rack, stands, cables, and giant swatch watch in 3 trips. Tear down and load out at the end of the night can be done in 10 min.

Toss the watch outta the back of the van...

See how time flies.

Yeah. I said it. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Gt thread, you guys are hilarious..

rd700gx-incase-75lbs=Gone//CP50 in soft case, less n 50lbs-much better board, but if I could do heavier itd be the cp5...

Yam pa cab-60lbs=gone//K12, tried the K10, really lite but opted for the sound of the dp thru the 12..still very light..

I can do 2 trips..been thinking of adding a 2nd board.. friend calls me n says check out this teeny thing called the micro x by Korg..he has 1, Im going to try it next week...think its like 5 lbs...full size keys, never heard of it b4..anyone play 1?

.....Of course, there's always the other end of the evening, as you implicitly acknowledge :)

Occasionally, under certain circumstances, I may "accidentally" bump into someone while loading out.....just hard enough for them to be motivated to move out of the pathway, but not hard enough for them to be injured or overly offended. Of course, you have to judiciously pick your spot regarding when to implement this intervention.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

.....Of course, there's always the other end of the evening, as you implicitly acknowledge :)

Occasionally, under certain circumstances, I may "accidentally" bump into someone while loading out.....just hard enough for them to be motivated to move out of the pathway, but not hard enough for them to be injured or overly offended. Of course, you have to judiciously pick your spot regarding when to implement this intervention.

Chris--that's my MO. But one time I barely touched this older gentleman with my shoulder as I was pulling my Gemini Jr. with an oversized load. He went down like I just like I had given him a Mike Tyson right. :blush: I felt terrible, except I guess it was his wife who yelled out, "oh that's ok, he's always falling.....GET UP HENRY " ! In any case I am more judicious on who I bump into after that.

Now it's just a real loud --"EXCUSE ME, COMING THROUGH" while under my breath it's "get the F out the way "!

Yeah that coupled with the dreaded valet attendant confrontation and the bad music--I love my job, it gets better every year. :cry:

I like this thread. It shows there are a fair number fellow oldsters roaming this space.

Portability has me trying hard to revamp my rig. I've been studying up on the VST route but still looking at lighter boards, like the 23-pound Casio PX-3 that Fortner raved about in a recent KB review. I haven't tried one yet, but the fact it weighs less than half my Roland RD-600 has me very interested. I've been playing the RD and a Korg CX-3 (which is kind of heavy for a clonewheel) for at least 10 years. I've been researching and shopping for a couple of years and really stepped up the process after the RD broke a key in a way that can't be repaired. I've been playing around the lifeless C6 key for at least 6 months.

But like a bag lady, I can get everything I own on one dolly. And I've never been one to unload my equipment into my house very often. I've always had a garage I could pull my Explorer into and leave it. (That's a huge motivator for this slob to keep clutter out of the garage.) I bought a Casio PX-555R a couple of years ago for practicing at home.

It's OK to ask for help occasionally, but make a habit of it and you'll become a nuisance. Nobody cares about your aching back, at least if it becomes chronic. Band mates are busy loading in their own equipment, and, as one commented earlier, asking the establishment for schlep help is unprofessional. But I'm not sure I agree with one earlier comment about getting to the gig early, getting set up and then kicking back while everyone else is rushing around the stage. Years ago I was in a band that started using a new bass player who only had to load in his guitar and a little amp on wheels, a rig he could set up and tear down in under three minutes. After setting up for the second or third gig, he hit the bar, grabbed a beer and sat down at a table near the stage, relaxing. The bandleader, who was hustling to get the PA set up, finally looked at him and shrugged in what I'd call an aggressive manner, as if to say, "Seriously?"

The bass player started pitching in regularly. So, I suppose the moral here is to always look busy.

The general consensus here seems to be 'heavy gear & aching (getting older) bones don't mix' -

I'd go along with that!

When I was in my 1st real band I was 16 years old (30 years ago :rolleyes:), & we rehearsed at the 3rd storey of a Pub.

We had to carry our gear -

(I had a 2-manual Vox Continental organ at that time - can't remember its exact weight, but it wasn't light!)-

up a flimsy fire-escape at the back of the building.

Having a fear of heights, coupled with carrying that load, it wasn't a pleasant experience!

I think it's fair to say that, generally, the more a KB weighs, the better quality it is -

hence the dilemma of balancing what gear you prefer to use, against the practicality of lugging it around.

I personally prefer to have good quality hardware stuff, rather than going down the software route -

I've just heard TOO many tales of woe about stuff 'crashing' during a gig...

not something I'd like to be faced with :facepalm:.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I have a lightweight setup also; an Electro 3-73 and a Yamaha MM6. I use a Spyder Pro stand, and a Roland KC 350 for my "personal keyboard only" monitor; I feed the PA from it. I recently bought a K10 and might start using that as my monitor, but so far have just used it when no PA system, to take advantage of the better sound.

The Roland, although heavier, is a grunt so I don't have to be super careful of protecting it, as with the K10. Both make enough noise for being a keyboard-only monitor. I bought a $25 Costco fold up dolly just for the Roland, so the weight issue is minimal. I modified a bunji cord, which stays on the dolly always, to grab the handle on top the Roland when moving it, so I don't have any worry about tipping.

I usually arrive first or second to set up; unfortunately, if I set up quickly and sit there I'll get looks from *a guitarist/soundman* *edited), who arrives later on. Same with tear down. Sad but true, it's better to drag out setup and teardown. I've been doing the drag out version and the others don't seem to notice.

I usually arrive first or second to set up; unfortunately, if I set up quickly and sit there I'll get looks from other band members who arrive later on. Same with tear down. Sad but true, it's better to drag out setup and teardown. I've been doing the drag out version and the others don't seem to notice.

You'll get fewer looks if you don't go in drag, but that's a personal choice. 'tsall good, mayne!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I usually arrive first or second to set up; unfortunately, if I set up quickly and sit there I'll get looks from other band members who arrive later on. Same with tear down. Sad but true, it's better to drag out setup and teardown.

In the late '70's I was in what they called a "show band", that played hotel lounges. We played in a given hotel for between 2 weeks & 2 months. When we finished a gig at 1 or 2am on a Sat. night, there was almost literally a competition to tear down the fastest, load our equip., & race to the next gig, even if 1000 miles away. (All individually, with our own equip, in our own cars).

The one or 2 guys to arrive first at the next place (maybe 12 hours later, with no sleep), would unload all our stuff, check in to our rooms, & then wait for the other guys to arrive, & say: "What happened to you guys, did you get lost? Oh, we've been here for hours" (even if only 15 minutes earlier).

To me, a KB player, "getting looks from other band members" b/c they're on time & setting up the fastest, doesn't compute......unless the other guys are helping the KB player perhaps.....

I usually arrive first or second to set up; unfortunately, if I set up quickly and sit there I'll get looks from other band members who arrive later on. Same with tear down. Sad but true, it's better to drag out setup and teardown. I've been doing the drag out version and the others don't seem to notice.

You'll get fewer looks if you don't go in drag, but that's a personal choice. 'tsall good, mayne!

Ha Ha : )

I usually arrive first or second to set up; unfortunately, if I set up quickly and sit there I'll get looks from other band members who arrive later on. Same with tear down. Sad but true, it's better to drag out setup and teardown.

In the late '70's I was in what they called a "show band", that played hotel lounges. We played in a given hotel for between 2 weeks & 2 months. When we finished a gig at 1 or 2am on a Sat. night, there was almost literally a competition to tear down the fastest, load our equip., & race to the next gig, even if 1000 miles away. (All individually, with our own equip, in our own cars).

The one or 2 guys to arrive first at the next place (maybe 12 hours later, with no sleep), would unload all our stuff, check in to our rooms, & then wait for the other guys to arrive, & say: "What happened to you guys, did you get lost? Oh, we've been here for hours" (even if only 15 minutes earlier).

To me, a KB player, "getting looks from other band members" b/c they're on time & setting up the fastest, doesn't compute......unless the other guys are helping the KB player perhaps.....

Bad choice of words by me; I edited post.....not all other band members, but the guitarist who is also our soundman seems always to time his arrival later on, so as to get maximum help setting up. He brings another guy with him and is paid a full $ share for this.

I just keep trimming down. From the big 70's (M3, Leslie, Wurly, D6 clav, Twin Reverb), to the midi era (Big Fatar controller, big ass rack of modules, Korg Trinity, old version Korg CX3, small PA, with mains, Crown power and tilt up 12 channel mixer), to "hi fi" (Hammond XK3, Nord Stage, and 2 powere monitors - JBL, then EZ 3601's, then QSC)--

Now, its just a Nord Stage EX and a Motion Sound 500.

And it sounds great....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

It's obvious from this thread that weight becomes more of an issue the older you get. So if you're young & fit, use what you like best while you can still lift it! Yeah, I'm one of those guys who used to schelp a Rhodes (Stage 73) around - until I got even more & heavier stuff.... I have a rack of synth modules at home that I can no longer lift at all, but it used to be routine.

Now at 63, I still use multiple boards and a rack, but they're all smaller & lighter than they used to be. Except - I'm still schlepping a 60+lb KX-88 because that's the one thing I like better than anything else I've tried.

Just have to figure ways to avoid picking it up whenever possible. Stand on end & tilt, etc. It's robust so I can get away with a soft bag. I have 2 KX-88s (they're dirt cheap these days) so one stays set up at home and the other lives by the back door with the rest of the "out" gear. Size also matters; has to fit in a Subaru Impreza.

Compared to the 88, the weight of my other gear is trivial. My biggest reduction is in amplification; I use a pair of 8" powered monitors for me, and let the PA take care of everybody else. No need to carry a heavy amp in this day & age.

And compared to helping move & set up the full band PA gear, the weight of all my stuff combined is trivial.

It is funny how much difference 8 hours can make to the weight of your gear. Things are a lot heavier at 1:00 AM than they were at 5:00 PM.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I just run them down with my wheeled cases... "Out of the way, Drunks!"

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived