Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good recordings to transcribe for walking bass

Kayvon

Walking bass is something I haven't got down at all. I realise it's because of two things, one being I don't have the vocabulary and two being I struggle with the co-ordination of playing RH melodies/soloing or even just interesting comping.

Before now I've transcribed bits and bobs of Jamie Aebersold play alongs (the bass & drum channels) but I'd prefer to look at actual jazz records now.

So, my learned forum pals, I would very much appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of individual recordings that you feel would make good starting points to start transcribing walking bass. Most useful to me would be if you could name particular recordings, for instance, the Lester Young interpretation of Pennies from Heaven with Ray Brown on bass from album xx.

In terms of what styles I'm most keen on looking at, well I guess 1940's jazz which is slightly bluesy or sentimental would be a good starting point moreso than some out there '60s Herbie Hancock stuff.

What do you get in return for this apart from the warm sense of satisfaction that you have helped a fellow musician out? Well here, have a virtual four pack of Mackeson Stout (A word of warning if Kanker is reading this, they have been left in the fridge so you may want to leave them to warm to room temperature)

Also, as a keys player, would it be useful to look at Hammond players who use LH bass as the slides/jumps/double notes will be less challenging to convert to piano?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Peter,

Try these books :

Walking Bassics - Sher Music

and

Real Easy Book Vol. 1

I've used these books with lots of students and they're VERY helpful.

While it is important to transcribe solos and to listen to get the feel of LH bass, it's also important to know the theory behind bass in general.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I know you're mainly looking for walking bass examples, however I would recommend Jazz Piano: The Left Hand by Riccardo Scivales. It's a comprehensive history and study of the use of the left hand in jazz. It has a chapter on walking bass.

While transcribing is a great way to learn I think it's just as important to understand how to build walking bass lines of your own. It can be easier than it looks. For instance, assuming two chords to the bar try playing the chord roots on beats 1 and 3 and a passing tone (or other chord tone) on beats 2 and 4. Try approaching the roots on 1 and 3 from a half-step above or below on beats 2 and 4. Another handy device is playing the 1-2-3-5 scale tones on chords that last 4 beats. The notes in a walking bass line need not be all quarter notes either. You can add some propulsion by playing two eighth notes an octave apart on a beat. This works well on beats 2 and 4. Once you get started you can go for hours! Have fun and let us know how you're doing.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

It can be easier than it looks.
Hey, you're giving away all of the trade secrets! ;)

The other thing that makes a walking bass line "string bassy" is the musical interface offered by a bass. What might be easiest under your LH fingers might be challenging on bass and vice versa.

In addition to slides, a lot of bassists play ghost notes on the short 8ths (upbeats). Basically, the string is muted or not fully pressed against the fret board. MonksDream's suggestion of octaves is probably a good substitute.

The only thing I would add is once you get the hang of it try substituting for the roots here and there.

• 5 weeks later...

This might be told old and zombified for a resurrection, but some of the first things I transcribed as a teenager were "Blues for Rhonda" by Gene Harris (from his Maybeck concert album), some things from Hampton Hawes's "The Challenge." There's some good walking bass on "The Piano" album of Herbie Hancock, all over Dave McKenna albums, and Bill Evans's "Conversations WIth Myself" IIRC.

Then Hammond fever hit. Jack McDuff (try "Loose Foot" for a start) and Don Patterson (reminds me of Sam Jones's feel, one of my favorite doghouse bass players) are two of my favorite walkers on organ, but any of the greats will do. Try "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" by Jimmy Smith for an easy but HARD grooving bass and tune in general -- Joey's version is awesome as well, but always go to the source. I'd get *one*, say, blues in F pattern down, learn it cold, and then just go your own way with it as you feel comfortable with changing it up. Not always the easiest to transcribe because the bass can get so deep as to be hard to hear clearly. But, yes, whatever will work on Hammond can work on piano, too. Don't get too hung up on the intricacies of the pedal work, but do take notes on the way they'll throw in the grace notes and leave a little space between the notes. Scott "Organfreak" Hawthorn has some good notes on building basslines for LH on his webpage which are suitable for a beginner.

FWIW I would suggest this book "Building Walking Bass Lines" by Ed Friedland
:rolleyes:

I've heard this book is very good for us keyboard players as well.

Building Walking Bass Lines

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You mentioned Jamey Aebersold. You're probably aware of this, but there are transcription books of bass lines by Ron Carter and Rufus Reid in that series. Well worth analysis.

You know what you like. Pick something that you think sounds cool and work it out. That's the best way to learn if you ask me. One of the first bass lines I ever worked on was So What. I love all that modal stuff (the Rufus Reid book covers a lot of it, whereas the Ron Carter stuff is more straight changes).

The things that immediately pop to mind:

- Nat "King" Cole with Lester Young & Buddy Rich: all of it, but "I Want To Be Happy" sticks out in my mind

- Paul Chambers with the Miles Davis Quintet on Round About Midnight, Steamin' and Milestones (really on anything, honestly)

- Wilbur Ware with Sonny Rollins & Elvin Jones, A Night at the Village Vanguard (he's featured on "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise"); and on Grant Green's Standards (a bit obscure of a record but great if you can find it)

- Ray Brown, Oscar Peterson's Night Train

- Jymie Merritt, Art Blakey's Moanin'

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

George Duke and Greg Phillinganes "jam" with Spectrasonic Trillian Bass. Showing how they lay down basslines. A lot to learn from these pros.

[video:youtube]

Archived