Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

X-mas gig!

Analogaddict

So the christmas tour is finally underway..! I'm doing 30 gigs in 23 days as 2nd keyboardist (and a bit of percussion, x-mas style! :-) ) on a christmas tour. My responsibilities are basically everything except piano; we have two great string players that I augment, I play some pads and orchestral percussion and bells and a LOT of Hammond.

Since we have roadies and stage hands and my duties are well defined, I decided to use a custom rig for this gig only, consisting of my B3P running through an offstage Leslie 3300 (which is actually just 3 feet from me, and I'm playing it loud!), my Kurzweil PC3 (76) and my trusty Receptor rev A running Atmosphere and Miroslav Philharmonic. String sounds are usually PC3 layered with Miroslav, and synth pads are PC3 with Atmosphere. Synths, orchestral percussion, marimba and bells are all from the PC3.

I control program changes in the Receptor from the PC3 and I use quite a lot of features from the coming 2.0 os; for instance I have a song where I use a timpani, a pad and a string patch from the PC3 and a Miroslav sound in the Receptor. I use CC and sw pedal #1 for PC3 strings, CC and sw pedal #2 for Miroslav volume and sw pedal 3 for going to the next setup. I need to go from everything fortissimo to a soft pad, but my hands and feet are all tied up.

Solution: I use a "Hot Key" feature where a designated key plays the timpani sound and mutes all zones except a pad sound, which allows me to do a huge crescendo and go to the pad sound without moving my fingers from the keys. VERY handy. :-)

The bandleader plays his PC3X, he plays Piano (usually the 'Horowitz Grand' preset), a few Rhodes patches and a couple of pipe organ patches for a rendition of "Pie Jesu". Here's a pic of my setup:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/analogaddict/bild2-1.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something like that, yes... We're actually playing in 23 different towns in Sweden, but we travel with stage, sound and all so it's basically the same for us in the band. Just different green rooms and hotels..! It's quite cold right now - yesterday we had -4 fahrenheit - so I'm indoors most of the time.

Sounds like a cool gig and a dynamite setup!! Have a great tour and if you get any audio samples of this rig in action (love to hear the "hot key" in action), feel free to share!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Yeah really, please share if anyone posts any audio or video.

Congrats on what seems like a cool gig! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'll bet no one know's how to pronounce that name at all. The second word, the J sounds like a Y, I don't speak Swedish but I used to speak Dutch and the name is the same in Dutch.

Man, you guys are in the darned artic circle, colder than a monkeys butt. When you sneeze you can see ice crystals in the air. I was stationed in anartica in the Navy way back there, 57 to 64-F. We wore huge parkas, everything had to be covered all the time or get frost bitten in minutes. I was there during the summer, light all the time for about three months.. Fun at first but it's always bloody light out side, really gets to ya. I was doing research in atmospheric physics. I received an honorary doctorate from Cal Tech, yeah, I did take a test, but no, I had never studied it before, a gift from God, as has been being a musician. I think it's genetics, my Dad had two degrees in physics and math, boy am I bragging, sorry this is a forum about bands and boards, won't happen again.

Hi guys!

Now we're half way through the tour, and it's a blast! Gigging regularly with a B3P is the most fun I've had on stage, with the Leslie just a few feet away. If it works out, I'll be modifying my 3300 soon - I want to build an FX loop where I can insert my Speakeasy AMA 122 instead of the internal tube. I'm pretty happy with the sound of the AU7 in the 3300 (I replaced the original AX7 tube), but the AMA is in a different league. I'm getting loads of comments on how good the PC3/Receptor combo sounds, and I'm very happy with the way it works. The sound guy really digs the PC3 orchestral sounds, and I feel that they blend very well with our string section. I'll try and post some pics later...

I was doing research in atmospheric physics. I received an honorary doctorate from Cal Tech, yeah, I did take a test, but no, I had never studied it before, a gift from God, as has been being a musician. I think it's genetics, my Dad had two degrees in physics and math, boy am I bragging, sorry this is a forum about bands and boards, won't happen again.

Interesting story. Congratulations on your god given talent in atmospheric physics, as usually that kind of "specialized" knowledge comes via some study.

Just a couple of quick things. First, Caltech doesn't confer honorary degrees (never has, never will. Neither does MIT), so it would be curious how you actually got an honorary doctorate from them.

"Anartica" is usually spelled Antarctica by those who have been there.

You are right about this being a forum for bands and boards, as the "Walter Mitty" forum is found elsewhere.

:facepalm:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

English: Our Christmas

Swedish: Vår jul

Dutch: Onze Kerst

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Huh, did Wewus move to Texas? ;)

No. I don't think so. But what ever happened to him? He just fell off the face of the earth, I think.

He used to live in Charlotte.

Was he another one of those who got permanently banned from this place?

Probably... he was definitely a crazy dude.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

blue eyesis,

I have been working in atmospheric science for the last 10 years.

I right code for and manage data sets for nasa's remote sensing satellites. In fact I share an office with an atmospheric physicist and a meteorologist. Small world! Its a rather small field compared to other specialties.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

blue eyesis,

I have been working in atmospheric science for the last 10 years.

I right code for and manage data sets for nasa's remote sensing satellites. In fact I share an office with an atmospheric physicist and a meteorologist. Small world! Its a rather small field compared to other specialties.

You right code?

I hope it doesn't keep nukes from being launched.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

This is fun, I love a good tar and feather the liar game..

Apart from that, I've never heard the word Jule or Yule in Dutch. Christmas is called "kerst" over there.

I think that he means Danish. Jul is Christmas in Danish. Apart from starting with a D, and you use your mouth to speak them, the two languages have very little in common, so it is surprising that someone who speaks it would get confused.

Well, as they say in China, Adiós.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived