Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key contact problems

Mr. B.

I'm expecting that this topic might have been posted, if not, I'm having some huge problems with key contacts, most of my Edirol M80 have stopped working. I've taken the board apart and pulled thin board that the rubber contacts sit on top of and cover the actual metal part. I guess it's metal, I have not pulled the rubber cover off to look. I've been to the Fatar site and sent them an email but does anyone else have other links to sites that would sell the parts I need. A local keyboard repair shop didn't have and couldn't get the parts for a month, they were swamped with work and trying hard to give me a lot of it with other parts to repair the other boards with. They pay well for part time at home work, thank goodness I've got a pick up, they just load it up using moving blankets. So, thanks in advance everyone.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MIDI Store:

http://www.midi-store.com/_search.php?page=1&q=parts

I'm not sure - I know Kurzweils use these contacts - the grey rubber material has a couple of carbon contacts inside. Unless they are split, they probably don't need replacement. The come off with care, clean them with a Q-Tip with alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol, which may contain mineral oil), let dry. Be sure to note which direction they go, if they are put back on backwards, full velocity on every note. I use a very small tool to puch the little rubber tips back into the circuit board holes carefully.

Dirt and crud get into them, results in either full volume only or no volume, depending on where it goes. The circuit board contacts are also carbon. Don't buff the carbon, just clean it carefully.

Again, I'm not positive that the M80 uses this contact system, but a LOT of Korg and Kurzweil boards do, as well as some others.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks a lot guys. As many of these controllers as I've worked on I've found not all are the same or have the same metal contacts inside. I didn't think the grey rubber covers would even come off even when I tried to pick up a bit of one of the long sides, but since it was suggested, looking at the end and the bottom of the covers I can see that they absolutely will come off. But, with a lot of care! I was surprised at the amount of dust inside and can only imagine the amount that would be in my other six boards. I need to get busy cleaning these. A Roland Fantom s88 I've had for ten years has a slightly metalic or very high end sound coming from the middle C key, all those contacts I'm sure need a good cleaning. It sound horrible. I'm using Pianoteq for all my piano's, Wurly, Clav, and vibs.

Thanks very much all, greatly appreciated!

Now I know what to do more so after I've had my soon to be new Pc3x.

Hi, your post remined me about my keybord problems.

I have cme u-key controller and all is good except two keys act weird. When pressed close to the edge of the keyboard

not always sound is activated, the momentum must be bigger of the strike, but when pressed more in the middle of the key or closer to inner edge it's ok. All other keys are behaving properly. Anybody encounter such key problem? what can it be?

also contact? (it is new board btw)

Electro 3 73 key and PC3X- that is in my shop/studio.

Gig with a PC3 76 key and the Electro on a K&M stand.

Church - a PC2 76 key and space for the Electro (plus a notebook running VB3 for when I don't carry the Electro, or to provide a sequencer for the PC2)

Home Living Room - left side grand piano, right side - PC2X.

http://www.promlancomp.com/HowardGrand/HowardGrand-LR1.JPG

http://www.promlancomp.com/HowardGrand/KurzweilPC2-LR.JPG

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

MoodyBluesKeys, You need more boards man, you really don't have enough. I would have a baby grand, a Kawai in my home in a second if it would support the weight, but can't. I live in nice mobile home that I had to move to when I went on disability.

The only reason I say Kawai is a Steinway salesman explained how they are built, shipped and displayed here in the U.S. They are built so well they are tuned before they leave China on a ship. They stay in tune even when they arrive at the store. The tuner checks them and almost 10 times out of 10 the piano is still in tune and excellent condition. This is not to say they are great or real good, but they do sound very good for their price range. You can buy a 5' baby grand for 4 to 5 grand. The Kawai are also made much smaller, I've seen and played a 4'2". The same store had an Imperial Bosendorfer, 7', I would really like that, very clear with a very high price.

A lot of Kurzweils are used in Vegas in place of acoustics because the pianos sound so real so I know I'll be happy with mine.

Motif, my Edirol controllers keys were also doing just what you described sound wise, I am in the process of cleaning the contacts. Even if the board is new when you receive it, it may have sat in the ware house a while, it gets dusty in there. Pop the back and look for dust, if it's there clean the nessecary contacts. Hope this helps.

If you're not very mechanically inclined at all don't mess with it. You will have a lot and I mean a lot of very small to tiny phillips screws to take out. I've not worked on those boards yet so I don't know if the back just comes off though most do. Don't let the insides scare ya. There are probably little, or 1 inch springs attached to one end of all the keys. You should see a long, very long very thin board that electronic parts would be soldered to. On top of that are either grey or brown rubber contact covers, they can all be opened. Clean only the ones you need to as described by an above member.

thanks for tips, I just took off the cover and found the keybed screwed to the bottom. After unscrewing it I see the long thin electronic board screwed again to the keys...There are spring on each key but the connectors I think are under this board, damn..

Archived