Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slammin' Digital Zero

I have noticed a trend for slamming digital "zero" on CD releases. Maybe it sounds a little louder but doing so sucks the life out of the dynamics. Example; I picked up Michael Jackson's "Invincible" to hear what Bruce Swedien is up to these days. Even Bruce is slammin' those zeros (up to 50% of the track time). If you take CDs that occasionally hit zero, adjust your monitor level to average 85db, then do the same with CDs that slam the zero you will hear a lack of dynamics I'm referring to. Have we taken a step backwards? If a track on a CD slams the zeros, it will sound louder while the other tracks are making better use of the dynamic range of the CD, thus introducing the "big dick" syndrome (like owning a big, macho 4x4 truck that never gets off-road).... in my opinion. [ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: GY ]

GY

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by GY: [b]I have noticed a trend for slamming digital "zero" on CD releases. Maybe it sounds a little louder but doing so sucks the life out of the dynamics. Example; I picked up Michael Jackson's "Invincible" to hear what Bruce Swedien is up to these days. Even Bruce is slammin' those zeros (up to 50% of the track time). If you take CDs that occasionally hit zero, adjust your monitor level to average 85db, then do the same with CDs that slam the zero you will hear a lack of dynamics I'm referring to. Have we taken a step backwards? If a track on a CD slams the zeros, it will sound louder than the other tracks that are making better use of the dynamic range of the CD, thus introducing the "big dick" syndrome (like owning a big, macho 4x4 truck that never gets off-road).... in my opinion.[/b][/quote] Slamming digital "zero", How can that be achived?? Not that I want to do it all that time , but some of my customers want their recordings to be louder. Thanks

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

[quote]Originally posted by ViLo: [b]Slamming digital "zero", How can that be achived??[/b][/quote] Just set your software/hardware stereo bus compressor on "STUN"...and there you have it,...it will be just one step away from pure "white noise"... :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Welcome to the world of "volume rules", It's probably not all Mr.Swedien, Its the recording studio, the mastering house and the record company. I do lots of compilations and it's my job to make between 30-40 songs all sound relevant on a 4 cd set! They range from bedroom -20 db to Megastudio -0.0. I have no choice except to bring the very hot tracks down to a workable level,and squeeze the lame tracks up to compete. But When I'm mastering a single album,I will keep the dynamic level 6 db.. [b]Slamming digital "zero", How can that be achived?? Not that I want to do it all that time , but some of my customers want their recordings to be louder.[/b] Just get some waves plug-ins, the L1 is the brickwall limiter. it will suck the life right out if thats what you need...I prefer the c4 for multi-band comp/lim and a little more milder to my taste. Harry

[quote]Originally posted by GY: [b]I have noticed a trend for slamming digital "zero" on CD releases. Maybe it sounds a little louder but doing so sucks the life out of the dynamics. Example; I picked up Michael Jackson's "Invincible" to hear what Bruce Swedien is up to these days. Even Bruce is slammin' those zeros (up to 50% of the track time). If you take CDs that occasionally hit zero, adjust your monitor level to average 85db, then do the same with CDs that slam the zero you will hear a lack of dynamics I'm referring to. Have we taken a step backwards? If a track on a CD slams the zeros, it will sound louder while the other tracks are making better use of the dynamic range of the CD, thus introducing the "big dick" syndrome (like owning a big, macho 4x4 truck that never gets off-road).... in my opinion. [ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: GY ][/b][/quote] It's probably not Bruce, he's not a big compression guy like the Lord-Alge's. His mixes coming off the console do hit 0 db but still have a lot of dynamic range. When I worked with him he didn't even use any kind of compression or limiting across the stereo buss. He leaves all that to Bernie Grundman. Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

[quote]Originally posted by GY: [b]...thus introducing the "big dick" syndrome (like owning a big, macho 4x4 truck that never gets off-road)...[/b][/quote] Is there a bit of envy between those lines? :D Just teasing! :p Yeah, if I had a nickle for every asshole that drives an expensive, big SUV or UDV (Urban Defense Vehicle) as they're called in NYC...but on a snowy, nasty, winter day is... all-over-the-road-at-20MPH-and-holding-up-traffic :mad: ...I too could afford one! :D I just !ZIP! right past them in my little VW! :p

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b] Is there a bit of envy between those lines? :D Just teasing! :p Not at all... I drive a Tahoe. My son drives a Suburban. Yeah, if I had a nickle for every asshole that drives an expensive, big SUV or UDV (Urban Defense Vehicle) as they're called in NYC...but on a snowy, nasty, winter day is... all-over-the-road-at-20MPH-and-holding-up-traffic :mad: ...I too could afford one! :D I just !ZIP! right past them in my little VW! :p [/b][/quote] I understand. The way these stupid Californians drive, I would not want to be hit in anything smaller... Wow, that could be another thread.

GY

Well, there have also been a few recent news stories that suggest SUV owners are indirectly contributing to our "bin Laden" problem... How, driving big, gas-guzzling SUV vehicles causes us to be further dependent on Middle-East Oil producing countries…which in turn gives us more reason to invade/occupy those countries…which continues to piss off the natives of those countries and causes them to become "bin Laden" rebels/terrorists and hate us even more. Now it is a bit of a stretch, and I think our boy "bin Laden" and his posse are just a little "off center" and mostly hate us out of envy and jealousy. But it sure does look a bit odd that when I pass an SUV that have an American flag tapped to the window. I wonder if that person should also have a sign next to the flag that says: "Keep fighting for that oil American boys and girls, my SUV only gets 8 miles to the gallon and I like to drive a lot." :confused: Oooppps...now this thread is going off on a tangent...sorry. Go ahead GY...start a new one if you like...let this thread get back to the "Slammin' Digital Zero" topic. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by miroslav: [b] Yeah, if I had a nickle for every asshole that drives an expensive, big SUV or UDV (Urban Defense Vehicle) as they're called in NYC...but on a snowy, nasty, winter day is... all-over-the-road-at-20MPH-and-holding-up-traffic :mad: ...I too could afford one! :D I just !ZIP! right past them in my little VW! :p [/b][/quote] try doing that where i live... my SUV would be pulling your VW up the mountain [and it gets much better than 8 mpg, heated leather seats too ;) ] every car i own now has either 4wd or awd [which is also turbo... when that kicks in, i can actually watch the gas gauge drop. good thing im only paying a $1 a gallon right now ;) ]. otherwise, i cant get back home in the snow/ice.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]...try doing that where i live... my SUV would be pulling your VW up the mountain...[/b][/quote] Well obviously you know what the 4WD is for and you actually use it! It's the city folk who N-E-E-D an SUV and then they shit the bed the first time it snows! Alpha...sounds to me like where you live, you should move up one class and get a HUMMMER or maybe even small helicopter. :D But I have to say...I don't think you'd be pulling my little VW. I've been driving these cars for years and I do a lot of skiing. In my ski-bum days I use to actually go out and drive up the mountain during the worst snow storms so I could chase that powder...you know what I mean. ;) I don't do that anymore.

[quote]Originally posted by ViLo: [b] Slamming digital "zero", How can that be achived?? Not that I want to do it all that time , but some of my customers want their recordings to be louder. Thanks[/b][/quote] ViLo, Just turn it up to "NOSEBLEED"!!! :eek: Hey, not so hard on the SUV's, I drive one powered by a Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Now if I could only get it out of that garage in my dream and onto the street...... Wha? Oh, I musta' dozed off. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived