Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Intentional tempo boost

Phred

Inspired by the current thread called faster or not, (or whatever) I would like to pose a question to you cover bands. Especially those of you that strive to do almost exact replicas of the songs.

Do you do the songs in the same tempo as they were recorded? Is it okay to intentionally tempo bump a song for the purposes of getting people on the dance floor. Do you ever slow a song down to groovify it more?

In my band we constantly adjust the tempo of songs based on the dance floor response.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it okay to intentionally tempo bump a song for the purposes of getting people on the dance floor. Do you ever slow a song down to groovify it more?

In my band we constantly adjust the tempo of songs based on the dance floor response.

Well, I"m not in a cover band, but I would say, since I've played in them and also in salsa bands (which absolutely are dance bands) that bumping the energy up is fine ... in fact, in salsa, it is VERY common to speed up within tunes. Part of that is the nature of the groove, part of that is just the energy. It's probably what dancers expect even if they don't say so ... the exchange of energy between bandstand and dancers probably contributes. Not to say it becomes radically faster, but even salsa recordings do this. I don't know if a cover-band crowd would appreciate the tempo changing as much, but it does speak to matching the energy and taking liberties with tempo here and there.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

We almost always play the original tempo. A few of them we bump up a little, but usually very little - like a few bpm, just depends on how it feels. There are a couple I think we play slower, but not on purpose, and it generally drives me nuts, it feels like it's dragging. I think most cover bands tend to speed a lot of songs up too much.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

On the Santana tunes, we stick very close to the original studio recording tempos. (Unlike Santana, themselves...) Same for nearly all the others. Only exception would be the couple of songs that we change the style of.

I am curious to hear from those of you who "bump" the tempos: which songs does this work on? I don't think I've ever enjoyed a rushed cover song.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

"Rushing", by definition, is when you bump the tempo and it's not working. We've all heard it! But we've also all heard songs played with a bit more energy live than the studio version. If it's more than a couple BPM, I'd expect to hear more than just a tempo change.

Oddly, dramatic slow tunes can sometimes be "pumped up" live by playing them even slower. Make 'em wait for it!

That which is done on purpose tends to work better than that which happens by accident. Of course, we've all heard happy accidents too.

BTW, I'm a terrible rusher, especially with slow songs. Do as I say, not as I do. Thank goodness for good drummers keeping me honest. It's just the typical "amateur who doesn't practice rigorously and is hopped up on adrenaline" thing.

Still, it's a good question: which tunes does it work or not work on, and why?

Thanks everyone - this is exactly what I meant...

We are very conscious about which tunes we bump the tempo up. In fact, for every tune we listen to the cover and match a metronome to it, and write down the bpms. Then live, our drummer uses a flashing metronome to count the tune in. Either at rehearsal, or after a gig, we discuss which tunes need a tempo adjustment.

We slowed down spencer david group gimme gimme good lovin', as we found dancers having trouble keeping up. Not by much, but a little.

I think we play still got the blues a bit slower than the recorded version, but about the same speed as the live version.

To my shagrin we play sweet home alabama faster than the recorded version. That all works out great until the piano solo... Yikes!!

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Oh, I have the same problem with Sweet Home Alabama. My guitar player sometimes pumps it up to 20-25 bpms faster than original. That piano solo at the end suddenly becomes difficult to play,at least with only one hand. I think Billy Powell did those sixts with both hands though.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

No I meant Billy played it one handed. I try not to play it. It isn't the same with out the really cool chick choir.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

bpms

bpms
:mad: It's BPM, no "s" (I don't care about capitalization here).

You are abbreviating beats per minute so adding an "s" to the end is redundant.

Same goes for RPM, MPG, MPH and KPH and probably others.

Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine. ;)

Anyway, back to the subject.

Are you sure the original tune doesn't change tempo? Sometimes they do, often when the change is from verse to chorus and back. You may want to check if you have not.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

bpms

bpms
:mad: It's BPM, no "s" (I don't care about capitalization here).

You are abbreviating beats per minute so adding an "s" to the end is redundant.

Same goes for RPM, MPG, MPH and KPH and probably others.

Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine. ;)

Anyway, back to the subject.

Are you sure the original tune doesn't change tempo? Sometimes they do, often when the change is from verse to chorus and back. You may want to check if you have not.

RBI

Stuff and things.

We are playing the first bit of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" really slowly ... then slam into the verse. Pretty effective. Plus our singer rules, so she can do her soul diva thing for a few bars.

And @Joe: ATM machines and PIN numbers. GRRRRR!

I make software noises.

And @Joe: ATM machines and PIN numbers. GRRRRR!
Yes! Those kinds of abbreviations too.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No I meant Billy played it one handed. I try not to play it. It isn't the same with out the really cool chick choir.

I have a cool chick choir! 3 female backing vocals! Ok, it's not really a choir, but they still rock.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

To my shagrin we play sweet home alabama faster than the recorded version. That all works out great until the piano solo... Yikes!!

On rare occasions, our band leader calls an audible for The Breeze. The drummer and I have an agreement that I buy him a beer if he doesn't rush the tempo..

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

Archived