Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone ever use an effects send to send a signal to FOH?

CEB

I am going to buy a small mixer to mix down my keyboards and send it to my powered speakers for stage monitoring. I am pulling the trigger on my amplification upgrade today.

I found a quiet little board I like but it has no monitor out send. But it does has an effects send with a master level control and individual controls for each channel. Does the effects send typically get hot enough to send a signal to the house PA? I would think so but I am not sure.

I will have no other need for the effects loop.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with doing that is that you won't know what mix you are sending to the house, since the effects send knob on each channel introduces an extra gain stage.

It will work, but a better solution is to use a nice direct box to tap the signal to FOH.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Thanks. I wasn't thinking my old amp was a powered box mixer and that wasn't an option in the past. That will be the way to go. I already have what I need. I now use a DI to convert the old 1/4" monitor send into XLR.

Thanks again.

If your buying a small mixer, it should have monitor out. I have a small Tapco mixer 5 channel I paid $59 for from Sweetwater. I send the monitor out which has two 1/4" TRS (balanced mono) outputs. I send that to the house using a cable with XLR on one end 1/4 TRS on the other. I send mono so I only use the left side. It works perfectly. What is really nice is I can play with the volume all I want and as long as I don't touch the monitor knob the level stays constant to the PA. It has to be balanced TRS connectors, unbalanced 1/4" TS won't work without a DI.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Ive done it. You do need to match up the levels so the mix you hear is what your sending to FOH. Effect sends are basically the same as AUX channels that many boards, like Mackies, use for monitor mixes.

The other thing you can do, if running mono, is run right to stage monitor and left to the FOH. If the keys are summed to mono and the channels are panned center, the right and left signals should be the same.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Thanks everyone. I got carried away and spent more money for a mixer with a lot more output options. I don't upgrade very often so I might as well make it count. Thanks for the info. I will use your input on setting up how I send my mixes with my new rig. I am just going to have to make sure I don't get too loud. I will be wielding some serious stage wattage now with my new lightweight rig.

Thanks again.

Archived