Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Players who excel on acoustic AND electric

harvey

Phil Keaggy's great acoustic playing was mentioned in another thread...he's also a fantastic electric player.

Which other players are known and admired on both electric and acoustic? Tommy Emmanual - who has been a household name down here since the 80s - springs to mind...although his success in the US and Europe in recent years has been based on his unbelievable solo acoustic shows.

Who else?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael Hedges, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Carl Verheyen, Ben Verdery are all good places to start with. Maybe also Lee Ritenour, Michael Chapdelaine (sorta), and Steve Vai (again sorta)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Jerry Garcia

Jimmy Page

Ry Cooder

Eric Johnson

Jerry Reed

Glen Campbell

Ben Harper

Keb Mo'

Kerry Livgren

Nils Lofgrin

Neil Young

Stephen Stills

Joe Walsh

Don Felder

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but,

John McLaughlin

Steve Miller

Jan Akkerman

Daryl Strutmeyer

Johnny Winter

And as much as I don't care for his electric style, I can't knock Eddie Van Halen's success, plus I recall hearing him do a fine job acoustically, too

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

All of the greats have probably excelled on both...

The backstreet boys never played electric guitar...

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

"All the greats have excelled at both."

I'm not sure I quite agree. Lots of guys play one excellently and another WELL, but that's not the same thing, is it?

One I can think of is Clarence White, who not excelled at both but had a unique style and was highly influential at both.

I have a CD of Robben Ford playing acoustic guitar on a CD with his band. It's not bad at all, the playing is fine, but he doesn't have that great TONE.

Allan Holdworth recorded a beautiful instrumental called "Home" (English pubs it appears) where the rhythm parts are electric and he plays a very nice solo on acoustic guitar - wish he'd do it more - fat chance he'd listen to ME, though, LOL.

Wow. I was afraid no one was going to mention Richard Thompson. I have seen him play both acoustic and electric gigs, and to my mind, he is beyond exceptional at both.

I also agree that not everyone is good at both acoustic and electric. A lot of guys who are good electric players are dead boring on acoustic. Hate on me if you must, but I hear very little about Eric Clapton's acoustic playing that makes me interested. His electric playing can't be faulted (when he's on his game). But acoustic, MEH.

All of the greats have probably excelled on both...

The backstreet boys never played electric guitar...

didn't know that they were one of the greats on acoustics...I guess one could say django never got his chance on a strat or an LP...but I would wager it would sound great with him playing either one...

Take care, Larryz

"All the greats have excelled at both."

I'm not sure I quite agree. Lots of guys play one excellently and another WELL, but that's not the same thing, is it?

One I can think of is Clarence White, who not excelled at both but had a unique style and was highly influential at both.

I have a CD of Robben Ford playing acoustic guitar on a CD with his band. It's not bad at all, the playing is fine, but he doesn't have that great TONE.

Allan Holdworth recorded a beautiful instrumental called "Home" (English pubs it appears) where the rhythm parts are electric and he plays a very nice solo on acoustic guitar - wish he'd do it more - fat chance he'd listen to ME, though, LOL.

It's probably true that the greats have more interest in one over the other and maybe they can only excel on one or the other...but I'll bet most of them can make any guitar sound good...

Take care, Larryz

Archived