Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland KC-110 Portable Stereo Kyb Amp

Jazz+

Anybody tried one of these for lower volume gigs? Could be acceptable when in used in conjunction with onboard speakers like in the FP4.

Width 16-9/16 inches

Depth 9-5/8 inches

Height 12-5/8 inches

Weight 16 lbs. 2 oz.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1057

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/reckb/cabinet/brand_r/r9_kc110_2.jpg

KC-110: Stereo Keyboard Amplifier

Worlds First AA Battery-Powered Stereo Keyboard Amp!

Features

With the new KC-110 stereo keyboard amplifier, Roland adds another great amp to its lineup as well as another Worlds First title to its pedigree. The KC-110 is the first fully stereo, pro-quality keyboard amp that can be powered by eight AA batteries. Take this amp anywhere, plug in, and experience the rich, spatial sound that has become a Roland trademark.

Worlds first AA battery-powered stereo keyboard amp!

Runs on eight AA batteries, eight AA rechargeable batteries, or AC power (adaptor included)

Highly efficient 30 watts (15W+15W) stereo amplifier with two 6.5" (16 cm) speakers and two tweeters

High-quality stereo digital effects built in: reverb, chorus, Wide chorus, and EQ; effects on/off can be controlled with optional footswitch

Three independent channels with volume control

XLR Mic/Instrument input, two stereo inputs, stereo AUX input, stereo line outputs, and headphone output

Mounts on a speaker stand (optional ST-A95 Speaker Stand)

Built-in tilt-back stand

Removable battery cartridge for easy battery replacement

True Stereo Sound

The KC-110 delivers pure, rich stereo sound with spatial projection that encircles the room. Its dual-power design (15W + 15W) enables brilliant stereo/multi-band chorus with Wide mode, plus gorgeous stereo reverb that will enhance any instrument or voice. A built-in tilt-back stand allows optimal placement and projection.

Onboard Effects

Enhance your instruments and voice with the KC-110s onboard high-quality digital effects. EQ, reverb, and chorus are provided, plus Wide mode for deep, dramatic stereo imaging. For hands-free operation on stage, the effects on/off can be activated with an optional footswitch.

Versatile I/O

Whether you need to amplify a single instrument or a trio, the KC-110 is built to handle a variety of situations. Three channels are provided, each with independent volume control. Channel 1 is a Mic/Line channel, with XLR and 1/4" inputs; channels 2 and 3 offer stereo line inputs. You can also connect an MP3/CD player to the AUX input for play-along practice or performance. Master stereo outputs are provided, as well as a headphone out.

Rated Power Output

15 W + 15 W (when using the AC adaptor)

10 W + 10 W (when using the Alkaline batteries)

Nominal Input Level (1 kHz)

CH 1 (MIC/LINE): -50 to -20 dBu

CH 2, 3 (LINE): -20 dBu

AUX IN: -10 dBu

Nominal Output Level

LINE OUT: -10 dBu

Speakers

16 cm (6.5 inches) x 2

Tweeter x 2

Controls

CHANNEL CONTROL: CH1 Volume Knob, CH2 Volume Knob, CH3 Volume Knob

MASTER CONTROL: EFFECT Knob, (Equalizer) LOW Knob, HIGH Knob, VOLUME Knob

AUX IN: LEVEL Knob

POWER Switch

Indicator

POWER

Connectors

CH1 Input Jacks (XLR type, 1/4" phone type)

CH2 Input Jacks L/MONO, R (1/4" phone type)

CH3 Input Jacks L/MONO, R (1/4" phone type)

AUX IN Jacks (RCA phono type, Stereo miniature phone type)

LINE OUT Jacks L/MONO, R (1/4" phone type)

PHONES Jack (Stereo 1/4" phone type)

FOOT SW Jack (1/4" phone type)

DC IN Jack

Power Supply

AC Adaptor (included, DC 13 V),

Dry battery LR6 (AA) type (alkaline) x 8, or

Rechargeable battery HR6 (AA) type (nickel metal hydride) x 8

Current Draw

550 mA

Expected battery life under continuous use

Alkaline: about 7 hours

Nickel-metal hydride: about 8 hours

These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.

Accessory

Owners Manual, AC Adaptor, AC Cord

Options

Speaker Stand: ST-A95

Foot Switch: BOSS FS-5U (EFFECT)

Size and Weight ( excluding batteries )Width

420 mm

16-9/16 inches

Depth

244 mm

9-5/8 inches

Height

320 mm

12-5/8 inches

Weight

7.3 kg

16 lbs. 2 oz.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about getting one of these but then I thought maybe just two of these for less.

Behringer - ULTRATONE KT108

Ultra-Compact 15-Watt Keyboard Amplifier with VTC-Technology

* Extremely versatile 2-channel keyboard amplifier

* Powerful 20-Watt, 8'' dual-cone speaker for wide frequency response

* 2 instrument inputs with separate volume control for each channel

* VTC Virtual Tube Circuitry for tube-like sound

* Dedicated 3-band EQ for ultimate sound shaping

* CD input allows you to play along to your favorite music

* Separate headphone outputperfect for quiet practicing

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/KT108.aspx

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Interesting stab at a very useful niche: stereo amp for the cafe/restaraunt gig with just enough power and no more weight than necessary. Of course you could bring a bigger amp, but for those kinds of gigs, it can feel like a real PITA. And since those are usually "piano" gigs and most AP samples sound better stereo, you'd want stereo. Not a fan of Roland amps, but if they fill the niche . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I know some folks here do some Roland KC-bashing (even more-so the "B" company!),

But I have a KC350 (120w)amp, & it 'does the job' for me...I use it as my monitor, & from there to the PA.

Its sound is 'clean', & loud enough for that purpose. It's also compact & not too heavy.

'nuff said!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

the fact that it runs on 8 AA batteries concerns me. that suggests that it lacks any useful power.

That all depends on the application. If you're trying to use a KC-110, or similarly powered cabinet in a loud setting, stage or rehearsal, it's likely not 'useful power'. Smaller setting acoustic rock, solo piano, jazz duo/trio, etc. is possibly where this little cabinet does its' job best.

Regarding the Roland Amp 'bashing': The KC's, in my experience, are OK; not my first choice of keyboard amplification, but not the last either. I used a KC-500 in the mid/late 90's, moved on to a Hartke KM200 for a few years, now have a Traynor K4; the K4 will likely be replaced by a QSC K12 in 2011 - as I have been using a mixer, and powered PA cabinet over the past few months (Peavey PR12D, which is OK...). A Roland KC-350 was provided to me for a church gig of several years; it did a passable job.

I have a pair of Roland CM-30's - powered 30W cabinets. Have been very useful for my occasional small, 'acoustic' gigs - especially background, solo piano, etc.. They do a respectable job. Obviously a pair of K8's would sound better; but picking up a couple of those, plus a K12, would be pushing the budget a bit...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I guess my point is, Roland doesn't make the best keyboard amps, but if they were the first to figure out how to fill a niche, then they've provided a very high value, because the comparable product is . . . nothing.

I just bought the Behringer 1800 keyboard amp. Why? because it was cheap ($240 after Black Friday discount at Guitar Center). Im running my CP50 through it and it seems to be decent, although there does seem to be some oomph missing from the acoustic piano sound. It has an equalizer, but it sounds much better without any equalizer.

Adan said: I guess my point is, Roland doesn't make the best keyboard amps, but if they were the first to figure out how to fill a niche, then they've provided a very high value, because the comparable product is . . . nothing.

Forget the "keyboard amps" no matter what brand...the way to go is with powered speakers (JBL EON G2,etc)as your keyboard will sound much better and you can use the powered speakers for small or large gigs...turn it down for small venues or crank it up for bigger venue gigs.

Adan said: I guess my point is, Roland doesn't make the best keyboard amps, but if they were the first to figure out how to fill a niche, then they've provided a very high value, because the comparable product is . . . nothing.

Forget the "keyboard amps" no matter what brand...the way to go is with powered speakers (JBL EON G2,etc)as your keyboard will sound much better and you can use the powered speakers for small or large gigs...turn it down for small venues or crank it up for bigger venue gigs.

Yeah, here's the thing - PA type gear is designed for full range applications, and modern keyboards are most definitely full range instruments.

KC's are woefully underpowered for full range usage, they provide NO frequency response specs, which is suspect at best, they use piezo tweeters, which just sound like crap, the tone controls color the sound excessively, etc....

For similar money, you can get a much better sounding solution, like the current QSCs. It's a no brainer IMO....

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

No doubt. For $200 more, a pair of SRM 150's would still weight less than the Roland amp we're talking about, sound much better and be much louder. A pair of CM30s would be louder, and are stereo linkable. Both are mic staqnd mountable, and you might rather carry a mic stand or two rather than a speaker stand.

Seems to me we're talking about a niche for something you wouldn't mind carrying for several blocks. Otherwise (price considerations aside), you might as well go with a setup like a pair of G2s.

The reason keyboard amps exist is not because there are people too stupid to realize that they don't sound as good as powered speakers. It's because they offer convenience advantages. Despite all the reasons for going with a pair of small powered speakers, it still might be appealing to just deal with one little amp that can do stereo.

no way to produce 30 watts out of 8 AA batteries. 8*1.5 = 12volt.

30/12 = 2.5Ampers of current required. AA batteries have trouble providing 0.1 ampers...

My dad's got the Roland digital accordion (with built-in speakers), and it runs on 8 AA batteries..for 30 minutes..

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I've relegated the two "keyboard amps" that I own - one an old Crate 200W, 4 input, cheezy graphic EQ unit, the other a Roland KC300 unit that I picked up for pennies on the dollar at a garage sale - for use at rehearsals. Basically, I leave them laying around in other people's basements (along with a couple of $25 "X" stands I picked up). Sonically speaking - both amps suck (in part by design and in part due to the fact that they're older'n dirt and are just tired (noisy, klangy, rattle-y sound) - but it saves the back by paring down the rehearsal rig to a single keyboard and a gig bag with 1 pedal and a couple of cables. I'd hate to have to gig with either of them again considering what I've grown accustomed to using these days.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

I can't imagine that amp sounding better than a boombox. For 400 bucks I'll heft a little more weight and have much better sound.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

no way to produce 30 watts out of 8 AA batteries. 8*1.5 = 12volt.

30/12 = 2.5Ampers of current required. AA batteries have trouble providing 0.1 ampers...

They don't claim 30 watts on battery.

Specs:

15 W + 15 W (when using the AC adaptor)

10 W + 10 W (when using the Alkaline batteries)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I haven't generally liked Roland amps, and it seems that I have plenty of company there, but the KC-110 looks like half a BA-330, which has gotten some decent reviews. Also, these models use the 6.5" speakers, which is also what they use in the SA-300 which I actually think is quite good (though I don't think it uses piezo tweeters). So it's possible that this might be an "above average" amp for Roland.

Although Behringer is often maligned as well, I think their B208D is a nice piece, still pretty small... better sounding and cheaper than the Mackie SRM150... but again, you would need two of them for stereo.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Unless you need battery power for busking or other convenience, get something that uses AC power so that they're not producing such a low wattage unit.

I've heard comparisons of the new BA-330 and the KC-110, and the KC was negatively reviewed. With keys it's important to have enough low end oumph, and these smaller, battery powered jobbies aren't up for the job. Find something used with a cord and decent reviews.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

• 4 years later...
These KC-110 do the job for average casuals (solo/duo type) and it's lightweight and stereo with decent bass. Tried one at a house party solo FP4 piano. It reinforced the FP-4 speakers nicely by supplying more volume. It has 6" speakers plus tweeters, adds low end and additional mid range. Good for restaurants, living rooms, backyard parties, beach, etc. No more back straining!!!

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

In 2010 it was ok to start a thread about Roland amps at Keyboard forum?

No, but people did it anyway.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

i'm wondering why the thread was randomly resurrected 5 years later.

I know not this KC but I had a KC-550, aka the cadilac of mono KCs, and it sounded like harsh ass. I switched to a single EV PPA speaker and its night and day, 100X better sound.

I'm guessing there are low cost battery powered speakers that will sound better than a KC and cost less.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

i'm wondering why the thread was randomly resurrected 5 years later.

Not so random... it was ressurected by the original OP. He found his answer!

Archived