Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Keaggy

GreySeraph

I really don't think that he would have had any mainstream attention if he had written "Muhammad is My Man." I think his songs being mainstream early in his career was a sign of the times and I'm glad times are changin. I wouldn't be comfortable with hearing "Jesus is Just Alright" all the time and I wouldn't think anyone would care to hear about "Muhammad is My Man," either.
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Muhammad Is My Man" might have gotten him lynched right after 9/11 in fact....

Actually, it's amazing how we Americans have (for most part) not reacted in hatred against innocent Muslims after that tragic event!

But back to the main point, had Keaggy written tunes about "Buddha is the best", it probably wouldn't have sold millions of records,either George Harrison sold tons of records, being an ex-Beatle and all, but it wasn't BECAUSE of his Hare Krishna lyrics, I don't think.

I happen to be a Christian, but I appreciate Harrison's honesty, by the way. And I like his songs and love his slide guitar playing!

BTW - how is it possible that some people think "My Sweet Lord" is about Jesus when you can clearly hear "Hare Krishna.... Hare Rama" on the record?

I hope I'm not breaking the religious rule here...

http://www.playlist.com/searchbeta/tracks#jadon%20lavik%20nothing%20but%20the%20blood/all/1

Here's a song I really love that he did in collab with Jadon Lavik off the old hymn Nothing but the Blood. Enjoy :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

"Muhammad Is My Man" might have gotten him lynched right after 9/11 in fact....

Actually, it's amazing how we Americans have (for most part) not reacted in hatred against innocent Muslims after that tragic event!

But back to the main point, had Keaggy written tunes about "Buddha is the best", it probably wouldn't have sold millions of records,either George Harrison sold tons of records, being an ex-Beatle and all, but it wasn't BECAUSE of his Hare Krishna lyrics, I don't think.

I happen to be a Christian, but I appreciate Harrison's honesty, by the way. And I like his songs and love his slide guitar playing!

BTW - how is it possible that some people think "My Sweet Lord" is about Jesus when you can clearly hear "Hare Krishna.... Hare Rama" on the record?

I hope I'm not breaking the religious rule here...

I'm actually an atheist, but (as is the case with the majority of atheists) I have zero issues with anyone's beliefs so long as they are held responsibly. :cool: Most of the people that are closest to me are devout Christians.

That being said, I think there is an acceptable level of religious content we are all willing to deal with. I do not mind the occasional reference within a song of Jesus or any other deity/form of belief that I may not hold. I hope my comment did not infer a different opinion. I think that the level of religiosity (that is the correct word here) that Mr. Keaggy has reached makes him unpalatable to many listeners, regardless of his skills.

At work recently, we were having a discussion about the importance of lyrics to personal tastes in music. To me (a few others agreed with me), lyrical content has the power to make an otherwise good song bad. So long as the lyrical content is at a mediocre or higher level, the musical content alone would sway my taste. If I disagree lyrically with the entire song, that would fall below mediocre in my book, which spoils any amount of technical prowess or beauty. Not that I can't appreciate his prowess. I just can't enjoy it, even with instrumental music. The elements in music are used to express emotional content, but once I am aware of the composer's religiosity, it is difficult for me to separate that content from it's context in order to interpret it subjectively. There are many other musicians at that level that I might be able to relate to more and that provide me with an opportunity to experience a more thorough level of catharsis.

Hopefully I was clear in my thoughts there... :)

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Hopefully I was clear in my thoughts there... :)

Very clear. You're unable to enjoy Phil Keaggy's music because of it's lyrical content.

Too bad for you.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I only added my two sense, because I felt that others in this thread may have been misinterpreted or had their comments unfairly judged. I hoped my point of view on the topic might offer a suitable/acceptable explanation to those that "preach" against "preaching" against Phil's "preaching"! :)

I respect him and what he does but I don't agree with him and can't listen to what he sings about.

I feel the same way about secular music that glorifies drugs, fornication, materialism, and other iniquities. I don't agree with it and can't listen to what they sing about.

I respect him and what he does but I don't agree with him and can't listen to what he sings about.

I feel the same way about secular music that glorifies drugs, fornication, materialism, and other iniquities. I don't agree with it and can't listen to what they sing about.

For the record (excluding fornication since that's a biological urge we all have, I might include the qualifier "irresponsible" however), I think most atheists would likely agree with you. Atheists are just as moral of a group as the religious. I hope you weren't trying to imply otherwise. :/

Good for you! The nice thing about living somewhere other than Iran or N. Korea is that we all get to listen to and not listen to whatever we want.

FWIW, that disqualifies you from listening to pretty much all rock n' roll since the term "rock n' roll" is a term for fornication going back to at least the 1940s. And drugs, drinking and recreational sex have been a staple of that music since its inception. What do you think Little Richard's songs are about? Or Bessie Smith's for that matter? The term "Jazz" (originally "Jass") is also a term for fornication which is apt since that music originated in the dancehalls and whorehouses of New Orleans' red light district. In fact, drugs, drinking and fornication have been a staple of American folk music forms since the 1800s.

However, rock music definitely has many songs that glorify drugs, drugs, fornication, materialism, and "other iniquities" (not quite sure what you mean by "other inequities" actually). Probably almost as many as exist in country music which basically consists of nothing but songs about drinking and sex (lots of songs about truckers taking pills too. And quite a few songs about cocaine). Country music also has a lot of songs about fighting (see Toby Keith), murder and quite a few about suicide. But no form of music kills as many people off in song as bluegrass which is fascinatingly focused on the subject of death.

Enjoy your clean American music!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived