Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

nord stage needs a Synth for Horns, Strings

mosSoytenly

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Korg MicroX -- not state of the art these days, but not bad, Triton calibre sounds.

But since the Nord Stage functions well as a zoned MIDI controller, it's a nice piece to just add a module to, that's one of the strengths of the Stage, external sounds integrate so easily into its internal setups. So then you have more to choose from. Maybe a Yamaha Motif rack, or a Roland Sonic Cell (perhaps with an SRX epansion card or two). Or if you like your Alesis sounds, you could look for a QSR.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, at not too much bigger than the Microstation, you could also look at the 49-key Nord Wave. And if you don't like it's horn and string samples, you can load your own... of course you haven't said anything about budget here...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would go for a Korg - the Wave is nice, but it doesn't do velocity switching of samples. Also it costs way more than any of the Korg mentioned. I have the Micro-X and it's a great compliment to my Electro 3 - nice strings, brass, and expressive orchestral layers. Also - it allows you to zone an external keyboard in up to 8 zones.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Roland Juno G, simple, light, cheap, has all nice basic sounds (pads, orchestral, synths, accordions, strings etc), decent piano and rhodes and bad hammonds (but you got this one in your Stage anyway). Sampling option is a plus. Of course is 61 keys not 49 or less, but it's really light
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I would go for a Korg - the Wave is nice, but it doesn't do velocity switching of samples.

You can get a kind of velocity switching by setting up 2 sounds (slot A and slot B) and setting up Velocity as a morph function between the volumes of the two slots.

I have the Micro-X and it's a great compliment to my Electro 3 - nice strings, brass, and expressive orchestral layers. Also - it allows you to zone an external keyboard in up to 8 zones.

I never thought about that! I recently picked up the similarly functional TR keyboard (which I actually have hardly used). I knew that you could split its internal keyboard into up to 8 zones, and that each zone could trigger an internal sound or a sound on an external MIDI device, but I hadn't thought about zoning external keyboards. With 76 keys on my TR, it wasn't a direction I had thought about. But as I'm thinking about it now, it seems to me that it could actually be set up so that the the zones themselves are assigned across the different keyboards, so you could use the TR (or Micro-X) to assign any combination of up to 8 sounds (from its internal sound bank or from attached modules) to any range of either its own keyboard or a second attached keyboard. Very cool, something I'll have to play with!

Back to the original topic, one more small (though not quite <40) key keyboard with some decent ROMpler style sounds would be the E-Mu Shortboard.

I haven't played one, but if I was looking for a light second tier keyboard, I would try the Korg PS60. I think the ease of use (splits, levels, etc) and weight (10 pounds) would make it an appealing option for live use. Don't know how good the horn/string sounds are, but it does have dedicated buttons for both those categories.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I haven't played one, but if I was looking for a light second tier keyboard, I would try the Korg PS60.

You allude to a good point, we don't really know why the OP is saying <40 keys. Is it a weight issue? A length issue? Something else?

Archived