Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians that don't like to rehearse

Outkaster

As was already mentioned, for some people the goal of a band is just to socialize. That's fine; there's nothing wrong with that. In that case everyone gets together once a week, consumes whatever they need to relax, chats and plays music.

There tends to be an age bias on how often a band should rehearse.

Kids in school tend to get together as often as possible, say 3-4 times a week. Part of it is having more free time. Part of it is social. Part of it is learning what it's like to be in a band for the first time. Part of it is a tendency for kids to prefer originals over covers.

Older guys working the bar circuit tend to be on the other end of the spectrum. Bands are viewed as small companies engaged in business for profit instead of (or in addition to) social endeavors. Playing mostly covers and with less free time, 3-4 rehearsals a week does not allow enough time between rehearsals for people to practice and learn songs on their own. So bands rehearse once a week at most; established bands gigging regularly rehearse less often than that.

In a sub situation or MD/sidemen deal the show may be a one-off with zero to one rehearsals called.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a situation where you are rehearsing and there are more songs than can fit in the time you have, are the songs determined beforehand?

In other words, if overall there are say, 20 songs, and you only have time for 10, does everyone know which 10 will be rehearsed in advance? (Don't mind the numbers, they're just for example.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Playing mostly covers and with less free time, 3-4 rehearsals a week does not allow enough time between rehearsals for people to practice and learn songs on their own. So bands rehearse once a week at most; established bands gigging regularly rehearse less often than that.

In a sub situation or MD/sidemen deal the show may be a one-off with zero to one rehearsals called.

We rehearse once for each batch of 6 new songs, which occurs every several months. So several practices a year, maybe? Subs don't practice with us. They show up and play. It surprises me how many of them can do this and pull it off so well, but when you do every song like the cd, practicing with the cd is like band practice.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

In a situation where you are rehearsing and there are more songs than can fit in the time you have, are the songs determined beforehand?

In other words, if overall there are say, 20 songs, and you only have time for 10, does everyone know which 10 will be rehearsed in advance? (Don't mind the numbers, they're just for example.)

I'd try to come as prepared to rehearse all of them as possible. You never know....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It depends on the people involved almost entirely.

Im in the process of building my jamband, and rehearsing literally at this point consists of the 4 of us (drums/bass/gtr/keys) getting together and auditioning vocalists. I have given them a list of about 80 songs, saying this is the direction, not necessarily THE MUSIC, well be going in. Dont learn it, cuz who knows what the joker du jour is going to do. And its so refreshing to have 4 people in a room who really WANT to be there playing be able to learn a song in 2 minutes. If you would have asked me the odds of muscling a band through a Little Feat song with no prep (including my own) I would have hidden my wallet; the odds of it sounding good would be slimmer, yet this is the kind of ability and desire I have in that room. The band sounds good because they can play, and they genuinely WANT to be doing this and arent afraid to try things they dont know, or play things that arent what I do.

I think I forgot what that would be like.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I'm not sure this thread is getting at any specific question. If the question is, "is it better to rehearse?" who would answer that in the negative? Economics usually enters into the picture, because even if you all can get together, you need a rehearsal space, and unless you can use someone's house, that usually costs money, which is often a sticking point.

I maintain a rehearsal studio with full backline. Makes it much easier to lure people to rehearsal. I keep it affordable by letting other folks use it, if they pay in. I never planned on having this sort of side business in my life, but now that it's there, it's a great thing.

I feel like I can usually tell when I'm hearing jazz musicians just playing from the Real Book, as opposed to being a rehearsed band. If their skill level is high, then of course it will be better, but still missing something important. If you're in a situation like Bill Evans, playing shows with the same 2 guys all the time, then rehearsal perhaps becomes somewhat redundant.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

A maintenance rehearsal is rehashing songs that have already been performed. Typically this can be avoided if everyone in the group does their homework, i.e. practices the pieces at home to a reference recording. While there may be circumstances in which it is necessary, just because the drummer doesn't want to practice alone at home to a recording is not reason enough to have regular maintenance rehearsals.

I generally call these GIGS.

:cool:

LOL!

The other band I play with hasn't rehearsed in over 10 years. It's all guys who can listen and pick up on things fast, and the material isn't that hard- Dead, Dylan, etc- if someone knows the words and the changes, the rest of us can fall in on it.

Honestly, in the band I'm in that practices, if it were not a comfort level type of thing, we could wing a lot of tunes too, learn it at home, come to the gig and play. Like 80s-LZ said, endings, transitions, that stuff is what is most important for those rehearsals, and getting a comfort level for me with the bass player doing the right parts, and the drummer who is pretty meticulous and wants to make sure things are right before we go live with it. We've done a couple tunes where the 3 of us practiced and then the guitar player had his 1st run thru on the gig, but he's exceptional and I trust that he'll have the parts down to my satisfaction.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'd try to come as prepared to rehearse all of them as possible. You never know....
Well, sure. You get as many down as you can. But let's say the other guys in the band don't have the time to get them all down... ;)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, sure. You get as many down as you can. But let's say the other guys in the band don't have the time to get them all down... ;)

that's where communication comes in. "Hey, I can only get 10 of those songs down this week, here's what I got".

When we auditioned our current guitar player, after having a meeting with him to discuss what we're about, what are goals are as far as playing, and just to see where his head was, we said, the gig is yours, learn as much of this 1st set as you can. He came in the next practice and had learned the entire show. We got thru as many as we could that practice, and picked up where we'd left off the next practice.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

IMO, it really depends on the situation. For a lot of gigs I do, learning the stuff at home and not rehearsing it until we're on stage is just fine because of the level of musicians I'm dealing with is such that they can pull it off and make it sound rehearsed. Heck, it's not uncommon for me or someone on the stand to start playing a tune we've never even discussed and have the others fall in and start playing.

On the other hand, if you are trying to 'present' something, then it really is necessary to rehearse, to get on the same page, and get small things worked out.

That's pretty much how the live scene has been for me over the past several years - with both country/rock acts, and 'Real Book' type jobs. Much of the time I learn what I need to from CDs/mp3's at home. For showcases, special presentation gigs, etc., I'm all for rehearsing. For the bar/club/jobbing scene gigs it's pretty rare for me to rehearse. Personal practice is a different story, altogether. That I can always use more of...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Of course I'm going to learn as much as I can. Right now the band has about 20 songs, but they don't get through all of them in a rehearsal for reasons that I won't go into here. But, they don't expect to get through them all, so I think it would be beneficial (to me at least, being the new guy trying to get up to speed) to get an idea of what songs we will be doing at the next rehearsal so I can focus on those.

I think if they planned what songs they were going to do at each rehearsal, they would go through them faster. Other bands I've played with including my own usually had a "set list" for rehearsals and that helped a lot in that regard. As it is, there's some downtime as they decide which one to do next.

I guess I could just work on what I can and tell them those songs at the rehearsal. The only problem with that is with their guitars and tunings. Last time, each guy only had one acoustic guitar and had to retune so they tried to keep songs with the same tunings together.

We haven't rehearsed in years. When we introduce new songs into the set we learn them at home and just put them together at the club. We usually just discuss how we will end the song, or transition into another one, usually on stage. Its kind of crazy, but exciting at the same time.

Now we play a mix of 50/50 original and covers. The covers are somewhat unique versions of the song. If we have a stand in drummer or guitar player we will just send them the CD's and tell them to follow that arrangement.

When I used to play with a classic rock band there was no reason to rehearse as we covered the songs as-is. I usually played most of the parts so my homework consisted of learning the parts and programming the sounds. Then we would show up and play them.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

What I won't do, is rehearse with a group that likes to "jam" at rehearsals, drink beer and simply socialize.
I wish my band would jam more, to help loosen up, or shape up the grooves. Instead, we spend too much time changing the arrangements, which drives me totally nuts. That, and people talking about nothing, not even joking or relaxing ... just wasting breath it seems to me, and it's worst when we have a big agenda to cover for some upcoming gig.

Oddly, it's the guitarist who seems to have the least patience with jamming or grooving, and would rather spend time noodle between songs.

That said, we're a very non-pro group in terms of our goals. It's a "for fun" thing and we do mostly free gigs, parties or benefits and stuff where there just isn't a budget for a pro band. Plus we do have fun and everyone gets along well, with minimal personality conflicts. And while I complain about the guitarist, he's the one with the artistic vision about what we should be playing, and knows the genre best. The band wouldn't be the same -- or nearly as good -- without him.

Still, guys -- loosen up and jam a little, but quit noodling between songs! (Oops, would that apply to me too?)

If you would have asked me the odds of muscling a band through a Little Feat song with no prep (including my own) I would have hidden my wallet; the odds of it sounding good would be slimmer, yet this is the kind of ability and desire I have in that room.
Way cool. Would that include "Oh Atlanta"? I've never heard two people interpret that tune the same. Sounds simple and intuitive when listening, but ... it ain't! Chords/grooves are simple enough, but I lose the structure during the transitions. Of course, you're at a level way over my head, but I'd still be amazed to see a group of people play that song through the first time without any discussion!

When we first started out with the current lineup a few years ago, we practiced every week, twice a week, gig or no gig. As has been mentioned this thread already, we all did our homework and came to practice ready to go. The time was spent mostly working on transtions, intro and outros, and specifically the vocals, which can make a or break a Journey trib act.

We currently have 49 songs in our "Catalog". Only about 30 to 35 of them get played at a typical show, based on the nature of tribute shows. (we of course always play what Journey calls the "Dirty Dozen", the 12 songs the fans would cause a riot over if they were not played :) )

So these days, practice is maybe once every couple months. We use it mostly to keep the vocals polished, learn a new song, or work on some aspect of the show based on what we might see Journey doing live currently.

Another factor is that my bass player lives in Austin, a good 3 to 4 hour drive from any of us who are scattered all over the general Dallas/Fort Worth area.

I think what amazes me and also makes me happy is that we can be off for a few weeks, have no practice, and show up at the next gig and nail it. Playing with other pros is very nice.

My bass player and I are in charge of the setlist for any given show.

We "publish it" to the others a minimum of one week before the next gig. This way, everyone can polish up on the songs they need to, especially ones we may not have done for awhile.

One last thing, sometimes one of us may hear something that could be done better and we'll pick up the phone and call the other person. As an example, a few weeks ago my guitarist noticed I was missing a brief but noticeable part on the ending of a song. He called me, we discussed it, had a brief practice on the phone, and that was that. Thankfully no egos when this happens.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

We have about 350 songs in our catalog but they are not played much and only on occasion if they are requested. All I know is musicians can hold a band hostage by doing the shit they do.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

All I know is musicians can hold a band hostage by doing the shit they do.

Finding a "professional" musician in the truest sense of the word is not easy.

Regardless of age, look for musicians who are still hungry when it comes to playing and eager to learn.

Serious musicians won't waste your time or their own. Keep looking for the right folks. They still exist. Hang in there mayne. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sometimes a little phone rehearsal can be a good thing. I was in my home studio working on programming the synth modules I had just gotten, setting up my XB-2s front buttons to send the appropriate patch changes. I had just finished setting up a string patch using both modules that closely resembles a Mellotron, when my drummer called. We talked for a bit about the upcoming rehearsal, and I played the orchestral part to "Knights in White Satin" for him using the patch I had just programmed. He loved it so much, that he got the word around to the other guys, and it's now part of the repertoire.

We did do some noodling around, but it was in seriousness. I messed around with "Take the Long Way Home", and now I have to learn it for real, because the rest of the band wants to play it. Bass player volunteered to sing it. Segue from George Strait to Supertramp... Love it.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I will rehearse for upcoming performances where the audience is paying attention but not for background music gigs such as weddings, receptions, parties, etc.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Someone said

What I won't do, is rehearse with a group that likes to "jam" at rehearsals, drink beer and simply socialize.

I think I must be the exception here because I love the whole feeling of the social aspect at rehearsals. I can easily spend 5hrs just talking, jamming (I guess it all depends on the quality of the people you play with but all my friends are superb musicians here), a little time of proper rehearsing. I have great faith in people to learn stuff even if it takes time... I am amazed such talented and interesting people like to spend time with me in a musical setting and I reciprocate the best way I can.

I was in the local folk pub the other night and there was a Brazilian band playing. They asked me to play the next night and I must have known 2 of their songs (Canteloupe and Girl from Ipanema) from the whole set (about 1.5 hrs) yet I still managed to get through it unscathed with no rehearsals and they did not bitch one... ;)

I guess its a matter of perspective, though I sometimes think many amateur musicians take themselves far too seriously (esp. middle class university lecturers who do the weekend warrior stuff)... and go on endlessly about "being professional" when from my experience "the professionals" don't act that way. I find most practice I do is at home anyway...

IMO, it really depends on the situation. For a lot of gigs I do, learning the stuff at home and not rehearsing it until we're on stage is just fine because of the level of musicians I'm dealing with is such that they can pull it off and make it sound rehearsed. Heck, it's not uncommon for me or someone on the stand to start playing a tune we've never even discussed and have the others fall in and start playing.

On the other hand, if you are trying to 'present' something, then it really is necessary to rehearse, to get on the same page, and get small things worked out.

+1 to this. I play jazz and play with guys who know how to read, but I do prefer at least ONE rehearsal before a gig. I am playing a gig this weekend with a singer I've never gigged with, but I was happy that she wanted to rehearse with us once. I believe it will make all the difference when we play live, since it kinda sets the mood/expectation. However, the trio behind her has been together since April 2010 (my trio, Michelle Pollace's Jazz y Clave) and we've played half a dozen gigs. One of them was at a big jazz festival on a showcase stage, so for that show we rehearsed the set list.

In the beginning, because the music style was unfamiliar to the bassist (but he has a deserved rep for being a great musician and very versatile) and the drummer who knows the style but had never worked with me before, we rehearsed, about 6 times before playing our first gig. Both are pros who can "wing it" if they need to. But when I went trolling for people to work with I made it clear I wanted to rehearse, with the promise that I wouldn't waste anyone's time. I think because I followed thru on that promise (very structured rehearsals, with me providing recordings and emails days ahead telling what specifically we were going to work on, and getting gigs on the books) they we happy with it. I am also doing original material and original arrangements of standards that can get far afield of the traditional treatments, so this is just what's comfortable to me.

Now, we only rehearse if a couple of weeks has gone by from last gig to next, or unless we are adding new elements (like the singer). We have a bunch of new tunes we'll be adding as a trio, but I imagine we won't rehearse till everyone has had a chance to woodshed at least 5 or so of them on their own ... then we will get together to run them down. Then we will play them out. We've pulled out tunes at a gig that we've never played together before, but they were on our list of songs to learn and everyone felt comfortable having the tune called. I don't mind this sort of thing at all.

Thing is, as the drummer says, "the map is not the terrain"; I, and others I know agree, that at some point, all the rehearsing in the world isn't going to prepare a band (or any single musician) for the situation of playing the music live. So it's really a balance between rehearsing enough to set comfort level and then knowing when the diminishing returns are coming out of the rehearsing.

To be honest, I've worked with guys who say they can nail the material in one or two rehearsals, and when we play a show, they really do nail it. These guys exist -- but they are "A" listers and in demand for the style of music I do. They are probably also pro enough to know what is and isn't their bag, since their reputations are very important to them.

Then I've rehearsed/played/auditioned cats who said they were "all that" and turned out not to be. If they don't already have a reputation, I usually have to at least rehearse (if not audition) them before I play a gig with them.

And if it's someone else's project, I am happy to rehearse. But I do read charts and I do my homework, so if someone is going to be calling 6 rehearsals we'd better be moving forward every time. I've played 4-hour salsa gigs with 2 rehearsals (including them auditioning me) and they've turned out fine. I won't waste my time if I show up to rehearsal and it's clear there are members who haven't done their homework.

Of course I want to sound good ... It's a balance between getting the group to sound tight and not being so burnt out on the material in the rehearsal room that you bring no life to it live. Jazz (and its subgenres) in particular thrives on that kind of improvisational spontaneity, plus is usually practitioned by people who read well and know a lot of the same tunes, so I imagine that you find this aversion to excessive rehearsing in that music.

I think, though, you should probably be able to find a replacement player who is willing to rehearse as long as gigs are coming (which it sounds like they are). I would say just make it really clear in the ad that there will be rehearsals, but that the band plays gigs regularly and gets paid to do so.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

This entirely depends on the band leader. In my case, when I lead, I decide on a set list for rehearsals and for gigs when there is a new member. I have had my share of woodshedding 40 songs of a 50-song repertoire in 2 weeks' time only to have 20 songs called, 5 of which I've never heard before nor I was never even given a chart for (until the gig). I hate that sh!t. So I don't do it to others. For rehearsals, if we're working new songs, I allow more time, fewer songs. If we're just running stuff down, we can get thru more. For a gig in this situation, I specify a set list plus enough extra tunes to drop or replace according to energy of the gig. As our band has gotten more comfortable with itself, we are tending to not play the set list, but rather just calling stuff off the songlist (2 different things; song list is a list of everything we know, a set list is a preordained program for a particular gig).

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

All I know is musicians can hold a band hostage by doing the shit they do.

I know, I know ... I feel for you, man. Like others have said here, just perservere. The right musician for your group is out there!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Someone said

I think I must be the exception here because I love the whole feeling of the social aspect at rehearsals. I can easily spend 5hrs just talking, jamming (I guess it all depends on the quality of the people you play with but all my friends are superb musicians here), a little time of proper rehearsing. I have great faith in people to learn stuff even if it takes time... I am amazed such talented and interesting people like to spend time with me in a musical setting and I reciprocate the best way I can.

I was in the local folk pub the other night and there was a Brazilian band playing. They asked me to play the next night and I must have known 2 of their songs (Canteloupe and Girl from Ipanema) from the whole set (about 1.5 hrs) yet I still managed to get through it unscathed with no rehearsals and they did not bitch one... ;)

I guess its a matter of perspective, though I sometimes think many amateur musicians take themselves far too seriously (esp. middle class university lecturers who do the weekend warrior stuff)... and go on endlessly about "being professional" when from my experience "the professionals" don't act that way. I find most practice I do is at home anyway...

Mr. Orangefunk, that would be me who made that statement, not just "someone." so if you're going to quote me, please do it warmly and accurately.

I can safely say that five hours of jamming and socializing is fine for those that want to socialize and jam. I'll happily do that when I invite many of my musician friends and colleagues to my house for a party. Those are situations where we play, relax and spin yarns about our musical endeavors.

It is NOT the the trademark of a professional musician, or any busy professional that has limited time and wishes to make the best use of it. Regardless how great your company might be, in the context of a rehearsal to prepare for a gig, learning new material or to record, your approach would be a waste of many musicians time and clearly demonstrates "amateurish" behavior at its finest.

I'm pleased to hear you can hang with a group of bistro musicians and not embarrass yourself playing Cantaloupe or Girl from Ipanema (you should feel so proud), but before you go off an collect your NEA award, it's likely that many here could make that same claim, and wouldn't by trying to belittle someone else in their very next statement ("middle class" university lecturer and weekend warrior). Really now?

As far as being professional, just call any of the names on my first call list, invite them to a rehearsal and then try and spend five hours doing the "talk and jam" and see how well that works out for you. You'll likely be talking to yourself for the last three hours of that deal and won't find players until the 4th or 5th call list (assuming the word hasn't already gotten out that you're a time waster).

The consensus of musicians on this forum seem to agree with the necessity of the business side of the rehearsal, and so the volume of their posts appears to agree with what I stated, so I'll let that speak for itself.

Lastly, I may not derive the majority of my income from doing music, but I did at one time and could certainly again (if I chose to), but that does in no way make me any "less professional" than anyone here. My approach to my craft is now and always has been professional, and I don't take myself "too serious" but rather just the right amount of serious for the task at hand.

As an aside, I'm not sure what universe you live in that gives you the right to make any commentary about my "other" professional life (as a chaired and tenured full professor at a top research university), but it must be an especially difficult place for someone who appears to be an insecure dilettante.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I guess there's at least three subjects here:

1. Are there factors not related to music (e.g. mother not wanting to let band members free, feel free to laugh, I'm not referring to my person) or social schemes of distinct kinds which put people in a band situation (could be a at church too (I played the organ+piano in a church-type pretty small setting long ago)), instead of liking music?

2. Is the purpose a somewhat high level of creating (original bands or improvisations, which I like) or imitating music (or hopefully great, well chosen and lively covers, which I find fun and myself) or, like in idols or so, more like the "fame" theme or boyish behavior in need of a guitar status symbol or similar (defendable, won't make it to the musicians macho status for sure)

3. Is there a real purpose of performing or making money? I mean I when I worked at Delft University didn't really need money from gigs, but did (and co-organized some myself) a some paid performances, and I suppose in other cases like good church or benefit performances there is honor and good names and satisfaction of certain people to be earned. Earning money as musician probably brings it own economics with it.

I mean when I started at 13 or so to set up the (basic) amp and some stuff for the school band to be, I thought practice was needed, but when I'd feel like and want a nice Jazz session, I don't think if I'd know the materials or would get decent Realbook materials (with tabs which I can play any speed, I don't sightread to speed but rather at 3km/h) I'd need any rehearsal, and pretty long ago I knew I could practice once and get a small band with a working danceable music to perform satisfactory, given good enough musicians and of course homework being done.

I mean Jazz cats who want to do a fusion performance or jam is quite not the same as the Rolling Stones on tour...

Theo Verelst

Guy who takes himself way too seriously said

Mr. Orangefunk, that would be me who made that statement, not just "someone." so if you're going to quote me, please do it warmly and accurately.

A real drama queen... you must be real easy to get on with...

It is NOT the the trademark of a professional musician, or any busy professional that has limited time and wishes to make the best use of it. Regardless how great your company might be, in the context of a rehearsal to prepare for a gig, learning new material or to record, your approach would be a waste of many musicians time and clearly demonstrates "amateurish" behavior at its finest.

That might be because I am an amateur.. and I admit it.. in it for the fun of it... not trying to pick up an NEA award (whatever that is). Remember this is a forum for all kinds of people...

I'm pleased to hear you can hang with a group of bistro musicians and not embarrass yourself playing Cantaloupe or Girl from Ipanema (you should feel so proud), but before you go off an collect your NEA award, it's likely that many here could make that same claim, and wouldn't by trying to belittle someone else in their very next statement ("middle class" university lecturer and weekend warrior). Really now?

very nice response... I just don't take myself too seriously... Like many I am in it for the fun of it... not trying to prove "my art". My experience is that the hardest bands I've been in are the ones with people who take themselves too seriously and obsess, nitpick over a blues tune... i.e. the univeristy lecturers/bank managers/etc. who pretend they are rock stars at the weekend.

As far as being professional, just call any of the names on my first call list, invite them to a rehearsal and then try and spend five hours doing the "talk and jam" and see how well that works out for you. You'll likely be talking to yourself for the last three hours of that deal and won't find players until the 4th or 5th call list (assuming the word hasn't already gotten out that you're a time waster).

Like I said I'm not a professional. However, I know plenty of em... ECM label guys, people on ACT and I can assure you they don't take themselves half as seriously as you might think and certainly have a better attitude than the one you seem to have.

:facepalm:

Oh my, I guess I've been told!

It's amazing how the internet can embolden people to the point of being insulting and rude for no reason to people they've never met, over simply disagreeing about a personal choice.

Have the nicest day possible, Orangefunk!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I suspect that for alot of us weekend warrior types - it's not an issue of not liking to rehearse - it's more a question of juggling schedules and finding time.

Personally, I liked Eric VB's practice, rehearsal and maintenance rehearsal explanation. It certainly was an accurate description of my world. Like Meisenhower - I too consider gigs to be maintenance rehearsals as well. However, in my world, there are times that maintenance rehearsals (outside of gigs) are necessary. I try to avoid the stand alone maintenance rehearsals as much as possible - however, reality is that some of my musical projects simply don't gig often enough to keep the playlist "fresh" without one shortly before a gig.

These days I can usually find time for an hour or two of music every day. A couple of days each week - that means a rehearsal to learn new stuff - the rest of the week it's practice. Every now and then it's a maintenance rehearsal.

As far as liking it goes - I enjoy any time playing with the band - as long as our time is efficiently spent. As long as guys are showing up prepared, we're getting started on time - and the balance of talking about playing vs actually playing is reasonable - I'm happy. If guys are showing up unprepared, too much time gets wasted before we get to playing and/or it's one of those painful rehearsals where we're constantly stopping to hash / rehash arrangements, parts or harmonies - and we're spending more time talking about the tunes than actually playing tunes - my time is better spent practicing.

My pet rehearsal peeve is when somebody is constantly stopping a tune to "fix" something. Most of my issues are not that I don't know my part - it's that that I've been practicing it with the original and not the band and that the minor differences in the groove or other guys parts can throw me off. I need to play the tune - plowing through the rough spots - to get it down. Stopping every time there's a minor rough spot kills the productivity for me.

The occasional "inefficient rehearsal" is a fact of life - and something I can take in stride. However, the moment I see a pattern emerging - I speak up. Time is simply too precious to waste.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

Archived