Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

redundant rompler

Wassup57

Hello everyone, I hardly do programming on my keyboards. Seems that new keyboards show up every year with amazing preset sounds. My question is with my current keyboard setup, which of these equipment is somewhat redundant rompler?

Keyboards: Korg Oasys & Yamaha Motif XS6

Modules: Korg M3M, Kurzweil K2000RS, Ensoniq ESQ-M and Korg 05RW

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Oasys can do everything the M3M can do, I believe the M3 series was basically derived from the Oasys. The Oasys is a whole lot less portable, though!

I would also think either of those could cover O5RW territory, which I think uses essentially an earlier version of the same technology.

The Motif XS and Korg M3 series are pretty direct competitors, so functionally there is a lot of duplication, but sonically, Yamaha and Korg each have their own sounds.

So in part, the answer to your question depends on whether you are asking which ones are redundant in functionality vs. which ones are redundant sonically.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Holycrappadoodily... that's a sweet rig.

You're looking to downsize?

If so, I wouldn't keep ANY of the modules, unless you are using lots of unique sounds on them that would take too much time to sample into the Oasys or XS6 (or otherwise programmed).

Seriously, OASYS + XS6 + V-Synth is a ton o' power.

-John

I make software noises.

That's quite a rig.

Unless you expect your setlist/genre/style to change radically ... what you are doing now should be your frame of reference. You already know what presets you need ... because you are using them.

Personally, I would ditch the modules as others have suggested. Make a list of all the sounds you are using the modules for, and start using other synths for those sounds. See how far you can get.

Archived