Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last Night's American Music Awards -

Dan O

Did anyone watch the show ?I caught glimpes of different acts. Kid Rock was excellent. He is pretty talented and you knew he was singing the song in real time. Probably the best performance of the night.

I have a question about 2 performances in particular and they are Justin Bieber and Bon Jovi.

My questions is about the vocals. Bon Jovi's singing sounded stange. Like extremely compressed, almost synthetic.

Same with Justin Bieber.

It sounded a little wierd.

The Hip Hop acts like Usher seem totally pre-recorded sung over the recorded tracks.

Does anyone know how acts on tv shows pull off their singing & band performance ?

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The American Music Awards were created by master of the lip-sync Dick Clark, and have always had the reputation of pretty fakey "live" performances compared to the ones included in the Grammys. How true that is, I don't know.

What I do know is that if it sounds fakey it probably is.

I didn't watch it last night. My attentions were riveted to the Giants/ Eagles. What a game!

I was flicking between the game and the awards show. I recorded the show for my teenage kids to watch.

Giants/Eagles was a very good game. So was the Colts/Patriots Game.

"The AMA is just a big circle jerk, isn't it?" ..

Yeah it is a circle joke. I am just curious about the production side.

You hear so much about Autotune etc..

The Bon Jovi set was really strange to me.

On the Grammys last year, Jon didn't try to conceal that he can't hit the high notes anymore and just had someone else sing them. I though that was pretty brave these days.

If it looked like he was singing them all last night he probably wasn't.

Some people were even live tweeting about it. :rolleyes:

However, at least Dave Stewart had the balls to say things like

"Signing off with last comment , bring back "sex and drugs and rock n roll" better than "botox , tits and autotune"" :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Taylor Swift was out of tune, no question. The Stevie Nicks duet was horrible.

"People still watch this crap? I didn't even know it was on."

I am interested more with how the production is pulled off. Rhianna looked like she was singing at the beginning and than used recorded tracks.

I'm pretty certain most Country acts will play live.

But the R&B stuff/ rap stuff is horrible.

This Bon Jovi performance? Something about it is pretty weak. It could be them. ;)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ok2zxYQ4w

Seriously, maybe they weren't warmed up enough. Sambora seemed a little off for Shot Thru the Heart. The vocals in the first song sound weird for a live gig.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A friend won tickets on the radio to Bon Jovi about 15 years ago and I went with him. I only state that because I'd never pay to see him. His vocals were weak all night...pretty much the same as what you see in the above clip.

But it didn't matter one bit to the thousands of cougars in the crowd who thought he was God's gift...

I watched only because I wanted to punish myself for lent. (Not really, my wife wanted to watch)

The performances really made me feel better about my voice... the only real surprise for me was "Kid Rock"'s performance - which was the highlight of the show.

The rest of the vocals (even the pre-recorded ones) were horrible to say the least. A good example was Katy Perry who obviously strained to reach notes she obviosly couldn't reach and her voice broke several times... the pitch-i-ness was apparent in ALL vocals even Jon Bon Jovi's... they all sounded to me like their IEMs were either turned off or 'pitched' wrong (some performers use pitch guides fed into their IEMs so they 'find' the right note.)

All this stuff really makes one wonder - how does one prostitute ones' self to make it to the top? It sure ain't talent that gets them there.

"the only real surprise for me was "Kid Rock"'s performance - which was the highlight of the show. " .. I totally agree. A friend of mine knew the tour manager for Kid and got us tickets and back stage passes. He came out for photo op's and we said a few nice things. He was cool. After the show the only people he would see were chicks. Kind of funny. His show totally rocked and it gave me an appreciation for him as a performer.

He did a thing on CNN for the Haiti Relief with Cheryl Crow and Keith Urban. They sang Lean on Me and it was fantastic. Here's the link www.mtv.com/videos/misc/474740/sheryl-crow-keith-urban-kid-rock-lean-on-me-live.jhtml

They (Bon jovi) were tuned down for sure on "u give love" and he still changed it so as not to hit the high notes. Plus it was just kind of lifeless and dull. Pretty lame indeed. Definitely not canned though.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've played on a number of national awards shows and each time we did it we used a "tv mix," which was a full mix without vocals. The vocals were sung live and the musicians play-synced. Goofy as hell.

I've also done live tv where we actually performed. It required an afternoon soundcheck to do camera blocking and get a snapshot of a mix. Nine times out of ten the mix was wrong for the performance.

I hate playing on tv.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I can't speak to the AMA, as I didn't watch. But, I did take my wife to see Bon Jovi this summer. Kid Rock was opening the show, and I wasn't particularly interested in seeing him. I was blown away by his performance (perhaps because my bar had been set so low). Great band, good stage presence, great voice (really, this was a big suprise), great time. He had a few moments on piano, guitar, turntables, etc...fun stuff. He connected with the audience very well.

Bon Jovi was just O.K. - not bad, but what you'd expect. I'd see Kid Rock again, for sure.

Archived