Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Quick Question

Cygnus64

James Brown's first regular drummer Clayton Fillyau came up with some of the first drum patterns to have a funky design to them, if not feel. Brown supposedly 'vocalised' the rhythm for Cold Sweat to Clyde Stubblefield and that's how that true funk rhythm started.

They were all drawing on Latin music, in particular the Boogaloo. Check out Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock (1962) or Mongo Santamaría's (slightly later) version, or the 1957 original version of Louie Louie by Richard Berry. No, it's not funk, but it has elements of it and these tracks are representative of the music that was in the air at the time.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOOte8YkbQ

As for the Meters, they used to back early Lee Dorsey sides and it isn't funk (although of course they became a great funk band and they did record funky stuff with Dorsey too). However, because of the Latin tinge in New Orleans music there are elements of Funk in the early R&B stuff.

One person pulled it altogether though, and that was James Brown. End of...

Excellent post. I have a strong feeling that the answer has to be something like this. There may have been one guy who put it all together, but understanging his likely influences makes the story whole. Very intriguing, that Loui Louie recording. I've never heard that, but you can definitely hear how the rhythmic placement forshadows the funk beat.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about we make a poll? That should clear up all confusion in the most democratic and scientific way.

Who is the Father of Funk?

a) James Brown

b) Sly Stone

c) George Clinton

d) Some obscure name only kanker has heard of :D

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I stand with the others who give props to JB as the Father of Funk, regardless of the Godfather of Soul title. For starters, when I was growing up there wasn't so much differentiation between Soul and Funk. THey were thought to be different branches of the same stream. JB and his band may not have invented the Funk but they sure perfected it's attitude and execution! Keep in mind that a good many of JB's players (Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley, et. al.) formed the nucleus of George Clinton's Parliament/Funkadelic and took the Funk to its next pinnacle.

After them - Prince! For example:

[video:myspace]36210809

or the crazy slick live version from Leno (I think) Maceo Parker's solo is just sick!: Prince - Musicology - Live Version

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Very intriguing, that Loui Louie recording. I've never heard that, but you can definitely hear how the rhythmic placement forshadows the funk beat.

Don't know how accurate this is (didn't check the citations), but there's quite a good history of the song in this Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_Louie#Original_version

I love the Sonics version too...made the Kingsmen sound like pansies! :laugh:

[video:youtube]

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x16zg

A 3-part history of funk. Link remains the same but programmes change every week (catch them while you can).

Click the 'listen now' icon in the link and then, when the player loads up, click on the play icon (usually it's automatic, but there's bad language so they've incorporated this extra hurdle).

Archived