Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

classical pianist plays circles around jazz pianist - duel

offnote

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiromi would win in that contest.

I Got Rhythm

The Tom and Jerry Show

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Yes, Herbie could too, he's a greater improviser than Hiromi. And Alfredo Rodriguez would be another young contender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csM_M-j3UNE

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Motif, I was intrigued by the topic of this thread, but upon finding you're referencing the famous "1900 vs. Jelly Roll" duel, it's a complete misnomer. 1900 is a jazz pianist.

If you've watched the entire movie (The Legend of 1900, one of my all time favorite movies), you know the premise is that 1900 (Tim Roth's character) is simply a masterful improviser who is able to express whatever his imagination conjures, instantly, at the keyboard. His music transcends easy genre boundaries, and the excellent soundtrack work by Gilda Butta (who, I believe has a long association with Ennio Morricone) encompasses jazz, as well as classical elements.

Yes, Herbie could too, he's a greater artist than Hiromi. And Alfredo Rodriguez would be another young contender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csM_M-j3UNE

However, I think 31 old Hiromi is more athletic than 70 year old Herbie at this point.

I didn't mean to compare Herbie/Hiromi, just to point out that there are a few jazz players that would handily 'win' this 'duel'. Eigsti is another one that springs to mind. And, having seen Herbie recently, I don't think his classical technique has suffered much with age. They are both more than adequate to the task.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Motif, I was intrigued by the topic of this thread, but upon finding you're referencing the famous "1900 vs. Jelly Roll" duel, it's a complete misnomer. 1900 is a jazz pianist.

well, I don't quite agree. He was exceptional improviser that's true but as J.S Bach was as well and still nobody called him jazzer. Jazz is considered to be american tradition. Main character played through out the movie in rather classical style anyway. Contrary to popular believes classical musicians (the good ones)improvise quite often.

BTW do you know if that "burning" piece was real?

Of course it was real. Just as real as growing 4 more hands while playing the piano. Sometimes when I play really fast I feel a nub starting to form at my right elbow, but I haven't actually grown another hand yet.

Always keep a fire extinguisher handy when playing (or, at least, a cigarette).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Of course it was real. Just as real as growing 4 more hands while playing the piano. Sometimes when I play really fast I feel a nub starting to form at my right elbow, but I haven't actually grown another hand yet.

Always keep a fire extinguisher handy when playing (or, at least, a cigarette).

:grin:

I don't really get the whole point of this "who's better?" business, with everyone swinging their chops around.

It doesn't matter, unless there are real stakes: :laugh:

[video:youtube]D0QKbnCDW94

This has to be the best work Ralph Macchio's ever thrown on the screen. Daniel-san pwning Vai demands the same suspension of reality as any of the Karate Kid movies.

well, I don't quite agree. He was exceptional improviser that's true but as J.S Bach was as well and still nobody called him jazzer. Jazz is considered to be american tradition. Main character played through out the movie in rather classical style anyway. Contrary to popular believes classical musicians (the good ones)improvise quite often.

Well, that's cool, Motif...I don't pretend to be an authority on "1900". But doesn't Jelly Roll refer to him in the movie (prior to the duel) as "the guy who plays 18 kinds of jazz"? That's the rep he's gotten, although clearly 1900 with his "and f*ck jazz too" dismissal as Morton departs the ship seemed to indicate he could care less about the genre categories or boundaries. The opening to the "Playing Love" piece (girl in the porthole) is clearly jazz harmony as well. Just my take on it.

And I light cigars with my piano all the time. It was originally a ninja thing. "If do right, Daniel-san, no can defense".

That Ralph Macchio scene is amusing.

Archived