Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Mark V Rhodes for Motif XF

burningbusch

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds great! Let us know if you do make the samples available. I'd also be interested in buying that - better than any of the Rhodes emulations I have with Logic...

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

So how big would a final version (I assume 88 notes) be? Now that the XF has upped the ante on sampling capabilities, does Yamaha provide any kind of compression utilities for getting the size down like they do for their onboard ROM?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Thanks for the comments guys,

I've gone through and completely resampled the piano, yet again, at 20 velocities. The Motif version will have 14 or 16 velocities but the soft sampler version will probably have all 20. I've only sampled one velocity of the release samples at the moment and haven't decided how deeply I'm going to go in that side of things (multiple velocities for sure but maybe not 20). The signal chain is: signal from the harp->Focusrite ISA One DI-> Digidesign 192. I use Izotope RX 2 for noise reduction.

Thanks VanZea about the tip about multiple velocities in a single waveform. I am now using Chicken Systems Motif Creator to convert from Kontakt to Motif and it does a good job of cramming as many samples into a waveform as is possible. Right now 14 levels would only require two elements.

Yes I do plan on selling it. My original idea is to sell the Motif XF and soft sampler version on a single USB Flash stick. The price will probably be around $50.

The Motif XF version will be large, maybe 650MB. The reason Yamaha is able to get some many sounds into ROM is that all the sounds are looped and have only a few velocity layers. I have no intention of looping this piano. When you loop you compromise the sound and are forced to use artificial envelope decay.

Right now I'm very happy with the Kontakt version but it's challenging getting Motif XF version to the same level. The engine isn't as flexible.

I'm still a ways off on this and have a lot of work still to do.

I'll post some updated sound files when I get a chance.

Thanks all.

Busch.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Yes I do plan on selling it. My original idea is to sell the Motif XF and soft sampler version on a single USB Flash stick.

The price will probably be around $50.

I'll post some updated sound files when I get a chance.

Thanks all.

Busch.

Great news and a good idea to sell it on a stick !

Will you ship to europe ?

Payment,- Paypal, international bank wire ?

Even I don´t have a Motif XF actually I´m interested,- I have Kontakt 4 anyway and maybe Yammi comes w/ a XF rack version incl. flash RAM,- which I hope.

PM me if it´s ready please.

A.C.

Cool -- I look forward to clicking on the link to hear the examples when I'm at a computer that has sound. I have full faith that yours will be the Rhodes to beat -- but of course, there are many Rhodes models, and so it is anyways good to have multiple Rhodes libraries.

Are you aware that there's a new flash memory based Rhodes for the MOTIF XF that just got announced/released today? They're going for a small footprint though, so that it doesn't require extra flash to be loaded vs. the stock RAM that ships with the XF. So I don't think it will really be competition for yours.

I would definitely be interested in a Kontakt version. Maybe Motif XF as well. My decision on a Motif XF is waiting a bit to see what sorts of libraries get released for the flash memory, and ones such as yours are the bread & butter that will help tip the decision in favour of an XF.

Are you idealizing yours for hammer action or synth action?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Finally got a chance to listen to this -- right after listening to Dave Polich's new sample-extension Rhodes library for the MOTIF XF.

They're BOTH incredible, from the demos, and quite different from each other.

I happen to like the Mark V for jazz and pop work, many times, so I would be overjoyed to finally have a representation of that model, which most vendors ignore. It's a more open sound overall, and blends well with acoustic instruments in particular. Your sampling sounds to be of very high quality, and their is a fluidity to the phrasing so you must have done something right with the velocity mapping as well. :-)

As for Dave's new MOTIF library, it's a huge improvement over the stock MOTIF sounds, for sou/r&b/funk. It's a "dirtier" mk I/mk II Rhodes, and possibly better than Scarbee, but that's hard to judge from audio demos. It has a more compressed sound as one would expect given its deliberate limitations so as to appeal to more people (such as those who don't buy flash memory for the XF).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived