Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Mark V Rhodes for Motif XF

burningbusch

Here's a small taste of what I've been working on. It's 16 velocity layers with no loops, natural decay sampling of my Mark V. It's planned for the Motif XF, Kontakt and probably Avid Structure. The software versions will be at least 18 velocity layers + key-off samples.

This was just recorded to USB from the XF.

Mark V for Motif XF

Comments?

Busch.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a good sounding piano.

I have a technical question - how do you accurately control velocity when sampling specific layers?

Every note sampled in 1db increments. I think that's key. On the Kontakt version I can map it to respond very exactly to how the Rhodes responds. I tried sampling 28 velocity layers but found the bottom layers did not change enough in timbre to warrant the sampling, plus you're fighting noise more and more at those levels. 1db allows for very subtle timbre changes and across the main body of the instrument that's what you're getting. There are NO jumps in timbre. Everything responds as you would expect a real instrument to respond.

In the actual sampling process I record all velocities for the note in one session. I strike a key and take note of the decibel based on software meters. I go through all the velocity layers, sometimes many strikes just to get a specific db. Once I have all db levels recorded for the note, I separate out each samples and arrange them in order. I then normalize them, apply noise reduction and do further editing.

Moonglow. I've worked up 3 1/2 octaves as a prototype. I don't expect the upper octaves to be an issue based on how the piano sounds by itself. The Mark V has been completely revamped with new hammer tips and all notes set to max sustain by a top Rhodes tech.

Busch.

I very little about Rhodeses except for the samples I've had, but that sounds really really nice. I wish you'd make an EXS88 version. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I know very little about Rhodeses except for the samples I've had, but that sounds really really nice. I wish you'd make an EXS24 version. :D
Fixed :laugh:

The timbre of the Rhodes is not quite to my taste, I prefer the darker sound of a typical Mk I, but regardless I'd get your library. It sounds incredible, meticulous, and it's naturally going to cut in a mix without any extra manipulation while not sounding Dyno'd. In other words, for most practical situations, it's going to sound better than my taste in Rhodes sounds...

Very impressive :thu:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Come on Tom, you don't BUY anything. You're KB is even older than mine.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Come on Tom, you don't BUY anything. You're KB is even older than mine.

Mike T.

Ha! :laugh:

Mike, you're right. I need to help the economy and buy something.

It could happen. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Great job, Busch. I'd be interested in the Kontakt version. It sounds great especially at high velocities.

A couple of observations:

- Some specific notes in the middle register seem to have a sort of "after-noise" from the tines which is a bit annoying. It happens at medium-low velocities in the early sustain stage. Maybe the pickup is set slightly too close?

If the sampling is already done, you could try to get rid of it with editing software.

- Like Moonglow, I'd love to hear it in the upper register.

Regardless, congrats for the very fine work! :thu:

I know very little about Rhodeses except for the samples I've had, but that sounds really really nice. I wish you'd make an EXS24 version. :D
Fixed :laugh:
[annoyed grunt] :facepalm: Obviously I combined the EXS24 and EVP88 into one, nonexistent instrument. :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. After working with it for a long time you lose perspective.

Interestingly, prior to the new hammer tips the octave above middle C had a very hard bell sound and below middle C it was a bit dull--a pretty typical sounding Rhodes with some miles on it. But with the new tips, the upper register got mellow and fat and notes below middle C developed a slight bell when played lightly. Who would have thunk it.

Carlo, what I think you're hearing is the E below middle C and the adjacent F (stretched I have samples for every other note). It's a peculiarity of that E (and F) and it became apparent only after I sampled it. It is bothersome to me as well and I'll try first to attack the source note with a new tine but if all else fails I will cure it with an alternative remap. With the software versions it's easy to provide remaps that can smooth out the instrument. I expect I'll have an every-note-sampled version plus some remaps that do borrowing from adjacent notes when that makes for a better instrument. With Yamaha, the key mapping and samples are tied together into the multi-sample, so it's not as flexible and you more or less have to make your decision and stick to it.

Kevin, I do have a beautiful 1/71 Suitcase that's patiently waiting its turn to be sampled.

I'm going to look into an EXS version. I have the Redmatica software so that should make building the instrument much easier.

You know, sampling at 1db increments is very time consuming but it gives you a lot of flexibility later on and does make the process of creating the instrument easier and more straightforward. On the Motif XF I'll want to provide a version that fits into the eight element Voice (I have to use Performance mode to get to 16 velocities). All I do is use every other keymap and I have a Voice that's sampled at 2db increments. Also, processes like applying noise reduction are more calculated as I know the noise floor is coming up in 1db increments with each sample.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Busch.

Sounds great! Will you be making a Motif XS version?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Kevin, I do have a beautiful 1/71 Suitcase that's patiently waiting its turn to be sampled.
I'd get that too ;)

I'd get both for my XF7. The Mark V sounds great, Busch ! :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Here's a small taste of what I've been working on. It's 16 velocity layers with no loops, natural decay sampling of my Mark V. It's planned for the Motif XF, Kontakt and probably Avid Structure. The software versions will be at least 18 velocity layers + key-off samples.

This was just recorded to USB from the XF.

Mark V for Motif XF

Comments?

Busch.

Hi !

Great ! I´m interested,- Kontakt 4.

You plan selling it ?

How many MB will it be at least ?

Maybe it would be interesting for PC3K(8) too.

I´m not sure if I´ll buy MotifXF keyboard, maybe wait for the XFRack,- so XF and/or Kurz version would be interesting too.

A.C.

Put me down for a Kontakt version. Nice work, Busch. I'd love to a-b it with Scarbee.

+1. This might actually make me finally buy Kontakt. Currently, I have only Kontakt Player instruments.

I love the Scarbee Rhodes, but this is a different animal!

Archived