Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Comping in a cover band - how far is too far?

Griffinator

I'd use a clav sound on Immigrant Song (did that before in a band) and probably a wurlie type sound on Black Velvet.

I'd go Mellotron on Immigrant, and Hammond (08000000) on Velvet. But that's what makes music so great: different approaches!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen to "Bad Man Walking" by Gov't Mule to get some innovative ideas on how to put a Wurly and organ in a hard rock oriented song. Just brilliant!

Maybe I'm a Leo by Deep Purple could be a guitar only song, but sounds cool with Hammond. Same technique can work with most hard rock songs. Heart, btw, has a keyboardist as do many other hard rock bands. I was a roadie for Black Sabbath in the mid 80's and they had a keyboard player!!!

There are many examples of songs that did not have original keyboard parts that were turned into keyboard songs by clever musicians. Free Bird being one, House of the Rising Sun, etc. The J.Geils band used a harmonica as a second guitar player successfully. Think outside the box. Sometimes it won't work, but sometimes it can.

The keyboard can be incorporated by acting in the rhythm guitar role and being a second soloist.

In bands I play in we cover "Fire" and it is fun to play distorted Hammond on. We also do La Grange and other ZZ top songs and SRV which are fine to play Hammond on. I'm personally fine playing these songs as long as it is not the only songs we are playing and there is a reasonable blend. This type of gig is best for a multi-instrumentalist and really should be advertised that way.

Having said all this is contingent on HMDTGP!

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

I'd use a clav sound on Immigrant Song (did that before in a band) and probably a wurlie type sound on Black Velvet.

I'd go Mellotron on Immigrant, and Hammond (08000000) on Velvet. But that's what makes music so great: different approaches!

There *is* organ on Black Velvet
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

There *is* organ on Black Velvet

You are correct. It's very, very delicate, just enough to enhance the build into the chorus - a fill here and there, lot of chords, though some of them sound like DX7 "voice" patches, not an "organ", per se....

Come to think of it....

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5E2yx2cRlc

Live version = much more fun for the keys.... :D

Yeah, I always thought of Black Velvet as a keyboard-heavy song, plenty of organ in it. The live version adds the "guitar lead" pattern to the verses, I actually prefer the original which has a sense of dynamics and builds whereas the live version fills in all the holes to give the song the more typical pop drone of sounding pretty much the same beginning to end.

I'm wondering about the use of the word "comping" in this thread. How are people defining the word? Is simply "coming up with a keyboard part for the song" comping? The term seems to come out of jazz, which is not my area of expertise, to put it mildly. But to the extent wikipedia is to be believed, they seem to define it strictly as something that underlays improvisation. Thoughts?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, I always thought of Black Velvet as a keyboard-heavy song, plenty of organ in it. The live version adds the "guitar lead" pattern to the verses, I actually prefer the original which has a sense of dynamics and builds whereas the live version fills in all the holes to give the song the more typical pop drone of sounding pretty much the same beginning to end.

I'm wondering about the use of the word "comping" in this thread. How are people defining the word? Is simply "coming up with a keyboard part for the song" comping? The term seems to come out of jazz, which is not my area of expertise, to put it mildly. But to the extent wikipedia is to be believed, they seem to define it strictly as something that underlays improvisation. Thoughts?

To me, "comping" is more closely related to "compensating" - inventing a part to a song that didn't previously exist, to make it work for your particular outfit. I hate limiting the band to songs that matched the lineup we had - in fact, we had planned to go forward with Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" whether we wound up with keys or just a second guitar - I had a lot of ideas how we could "comp" with two guitars out of a song that barely has one guitar present.

Archived