Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cee Lo Green's "Forget You"

stepay

Any of you play this song in your bands? Of course the "Forget You" title and lyric is for air play. The real title is "F*ck You".

I'm not a big fan of bad language or most current pop songs, but man I really like this musically simple song. C, D7, F, C pretty much throughout. Just curious if any of you play it and what the reaction is.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This song was discussed before though not in the "do you play it in your band" context. Admittedly, the subject of the older thread was rather indirect probably making it easy to miss.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Didn't see that original thread. I am playing that song tonight in fact with my project Skeetox.

I think this song would go over with most any group of folks, provided they're the type of folks who know what's on the radio and have heard the song before. I don't know if it would go over that well with people who don't know the song, even though the song is clever. It's the unique production and Cee-lo's one of a kind delivery that make the song so great. So if the crowd has heard that song before themselves then I say YHS. If they don't know it, I say NO because you'll just sound crass.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I like the og title and in this day and age, it should be allowed on the radio that way

my humble opinion

If it weren't for little kids to hear, then I'd agree with you (because I'm not fond of censorship), but I don't really want my 10-year-old swearing like that or really thinking that's acceptable daily language (even though of course he hears all those words at school every day). Of course the argument to be made there is that the parents should teach them as they please because the temptations and bad things will always be out there.

I've told him that the big swear words should be reserved for certain moments...gotta have something to say when you smash your thumb with a hammer; if you say it all the time, it has lost some of the meaning.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Didn't see that original thread. I am playing that song tonight in fact with my project Skeetox.

I think this song would go over with most any group of folks, provided they're the type of folks who know what's on the radio and have heard the song before. I don't know if it would go over that well with people who don't know the song, even though the song is clever. It's the unique production and Cee-lo's one of a kind delivery that make the song so great. So if the crowd has heard that song before themselves then I say YHS. If they don't know it, I say NO because you'll just sound crass.

I agree with everything you've said. Is tonight the first time your band will have played this song?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

In all the years I've been online, I can't think of a more discussed song.

I don't know how much of that discussion is translating into dollars, but Cee Lo obviously came up with a great idea.

And for that matter, so did Harry Nilsson. (Again, not safe for work:)

[video:youtube]02lXLiFsRtE

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I like the og title and in this day and age, it should be allowed on the radio that way

my humble opinion

If it weren't for little kids to hear, then I'd agree with you (because I'm not fond of censorship), but I don't really want my 10-year-old swearing like that or really thinking that's acceptable daily language (even though of course he hears all those words at school every day). Of course the argument to be made there is that the parents should teach them as they please because the temptations and bad things will always be out there.

I've told him that the big swear words should be reserved for certain moments...gotta have something to say when you smash your thumb with a hammer; if you say it all the time, it has lost some of the meaning.

I let my 11 year old son hear the song, he memorized the whole lyric almost immediately. He gets it for the most part in context, parental guidance and all but he knows he can't go around talking like that. My son swears occasionally, mostly when appropriate like bumping his knee or messing something up but even then, he is more likely to use an alternative word than to swear.

Call the police!

heh, I try not to make a big deal out of words with my son, he seems to be doing ok...I often re-iterate my feelings on swearing with him. I personally think, more often than not, excessive swearing is a cop out for those without enough vocabulary to express themselves. I've explained it to my son and he seems to get it, fully.

I agree with everything you've said. Is tonight the first time your band will have played this song?

Actually Yep. First time we've incorporated it into our set.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I covered it once as a solo performer and my crowd loved it. And no, I didn't do the censored version; I was playing for a crowd of adults who presumably won't have a coronary at the F-word. ;)

Cool. It's a very catchy simple tune.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

my humble opinion

I let my 11 year old son hear the song, he memorized the whole lyric almost immediately. He gets it for the most part in context, parental guidance and all but he knows he can't go around talking like that. My son swears occasionally, mostly when appropriate like bumping his knee or messing something up but even then, he is more likely to use an alternative word than to swear.

Call the police!

heh, I try not to make a big deal out of words with my son, he seems to be doing ok...I often re-iterate my feelings on swearing with him. I personally think, more often than not, excessive swearing is a cop out for those without enough vocabulary to express themselves. I've explained it to my son and he seems to get it, fully.

We're mostly in agreement.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

It's pretty much the same idea lyrically as Eamon's monster hit of a few years ago "F**k It I Don't Want You Back", which was a #1 single practically everywhere in the world except here in the radio airplay conservative US. I believe that one still holds the Guinness World Record for most "F" bombs in a #1 single.

I wouldn't call it inspired writing by any means, or even a great idea for that matter. But it has put Cee Lo on the map.

I guess worldwide airplay of a song depends on how well you know English. ;)

*** NSFW ***

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Nothing to add here, except that they play the song in all supermarkets here in Holland (they all share the same radio channel). An not the censored verison, the original FY version.
Yeah, I heard it while in a shop when I was in Europe this fall.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Nothing to add here, except that they play the song in all supermarkets here in Holland (they all share the same radio channel). An not the censored verison, the original FY version.
Yeah, I heard it in a shop when I was in Europe this fall.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'm really glad Cee Lo got a hit with this one. "Cee Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections" was such an incredibly badass album, but it didn't find the success it deserved, and I think he got a little cheezy for a while trying to find that hit.

I love this song, Super Chicken:

[video:youtube]mMh-O7CoyZ0

I'm really glad Cee Lo got a hit with this one. "Cee Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections" was such an incredibly badass album, but it didn't find the success it deserved

Love that CD! Damn shame it didn't connect with the masses the way it did with critics and hardcore hip-hop heads...but what else is new?

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

But it has put Cee Lo on the map.

After having a super hit with Gnarls Barkley ;)

Yeah, I think about the 10,000,000th time you heard "Crazy", you were pretty aware of Cee Lo. :D

I love his voice, by the way... I put it up there with Al Green, Marvin Gaye and any of the masters of soul.

But it has put Cee Lo on the map.

After having a super hit with Gnarls Barkley ;)

Yeah, I think about the 10,000,000th time you heard "Crazy", you were pretty aware of Cee Lo. :D

Nope - and I've actually sung the song high "C" and all. It just about kills you.

I thought Gnarls Barkley was the singer. You learn something in this forum every day :D

Archived