Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Chimenti/Furthur

Jeff_D_in_MD

Has anybody else been attending the recent Furthur (post-Grateful Dead) shows? I saw them in Baltimore last night. The keyboard player, Jeff Chimenti, is very good. His rig included a grand piano, and a B3 that I believe belonged to the late Brent Mydland (former keys player for the Dead). He also had some other boards that I could not see well from my location.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff is a monster jazz player, playing since age 4. He is musicaly far more advanced than the Dead alumni. I would guess the RatDog/Dead gig is for fame and money.

From Wikipedia

Jeff Chimenti (born October 21, 1968) is an American keyboardist, best known for his ongoing work with RatDog. He is also a member of the post-Grateful Dead bands The Dead and Furthur.[1][2]

A native of the San Francisco Bay area, Chimenti began playing piano when he was four and he studied formally from the age of seven to around the time he finished high school. Once he graduated from high school, he began playing in bands around the Bay area. He played in local jazz bands as well as Les Claypool's Frog Brigade; he's also played back-up for pop acts such as En Vogue.

He was playing in Dave Ellis's jazz quartet when Ellis was hired to play saxophone in Ratdog. Ellis informed him that Ratdog was also looking for a new keyboardist. Chimenti was hired and played his first show 28 May 1997.

Website http://www.rat-dog.com/band/jeff-chimenti.php

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

(save for the vocals, but what can you expect from a bunch of old men).

The same as you could expect from them as young men, ie., not much, hey, it's the Dead. :-)

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

• 1 year later...

Just saw Jeff Chimenti again at Furthur last night (Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD, 2012-07-08). The guy is a great pianist and stayed mostly at the grand, but also used the B3 and the Rhodes a couple times.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Yes, it is Brent's old B3. And, yes, he is very good. In fact, I think that that whole band is one of the best make-ups they have had musically in a long time (save for the vocals, but what can you expect from a bunch of old men).

Bob's range has definitely narrowed, but overall I think this is the best post-Jerry vocal lineup I've seen. Having solid backup singers really fills things out. Last time I saw them I thought to myself that this is probably how they wanted the harmonies to sound all along.

Agreed on Chimenti, and that is one of the prettiest-sounding B3's I've heard.

Jeff is a monster jazz player, playing since age 4. He is musicaly far more advanced than the Dead alumni. I would guess the RatDog/Dead gig is for fame and money.

Wow. I missed this before. That's an amazingly insulting and narrow-minded statement. There's another equally valid option that you seem to have overlooked...

Rob Baracco comes from my town out here on LI... at one time they were both in a more recent version of the Dead I believe! Played a show or two with him at the old Bottom Line in NYC. . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived