Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone here using a Roland VR700?

Tonysounds

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried the original V-Combo, hated everything about it except the gorgeous waterfall action. Typical shrill Roland organ sound, could not send organ out a separate output from piano, hohum piano and synth sounds via expansion cards.

Heavy too. Not for me, but I am not sure how the new one is improved.

Moe

---

Yeah, I had an original Vcombobought it for an overseas tour (1 board only). You could salvage the piano by layering the piano with Stage Grand from Ultimate Keys (the original Vcombo took SRX CARDS), which also helped the synth. The piano was then pretty serviceable. The organ is typical V-organs, and watching old footage of that tour, its amazing how well that organ actually sounded (which I didnt feel at the time). I ended up selling it after that tour because after 40 shows in 45 days, my wrists actually hurt. (easier for me to play weighted than non-weighted boards)

And of course, brick and mortar stores now suck SO bad that no one has anything that the guy down the street doesnt have (very good logic there retailers!), and since nobody carries anything that isnt a Motif X8 or a Roland FP4 or a Casio Privia, or a MicroKorg, you cant audition anything.

WHY do we patronize these places? Oh yeah.we dont. (Unfortunately, they are reaping what they sowed.)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I tried one out at a local store (Far Out Music, in Southern Indiana). I liked it a lot. It came down to a choice of that or a Kurz PC3. I ended up with the PC3. I liked the extra versatility. The Roland had a nice organ. The pitch bend lever it has will change the Leslie speed, sort of like the old half moon switch on a B3. It was a very nice performance keyboard. Easy on the fly splits and layers. Very nice waterfall action. If you need weighted for your hands, this is not the keyboard you need. Decent piano, the usual Roland sting and brass sounds.

Gregg

Without music, life would be a mistake - Nietzche

QSC K10, Kurz PC3, K2500x, K2000R, Korg Z1, Roland A80, Roland S-750, 1970 MiniMoog, Synthi AKS, bunch of old rack modules.

Tried the original V-Combo, hated everything about it except the gorgeous waterfall action. Typical shrill Roland organ sound, could not send organ out a separate output from piano, hohum piano and synth sounds via expansion cards.

Heavy too. Not for me, but I am not sure how the new one is improved.

I didn't hate the original, but yeah, the lack of separate outs (or a way to pan sounds to effectively get separate outs) was a significant limitation, and it was big and bulky. The new one seems to have the same limitations, plus they took out the aftertouch and the SRX expansion slots.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Brotha T, stop wasting your time wooing that trick. You know how it ends. :laugh:

I have played the VR700. It isn't a threat to the current crop of clonewheels.

The VR700 could work in a multi-KB set-up and/or as a rehearsal KB. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It would be so much better if I did. The love/hate relationship seems to be swinging into the wooing stage..... again....

:snax:

Just about enough material for a movie, by now..... ;)

"Wooing Stage" ?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived