Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Handing over the Reigns... somewhat

J. Dan

As many of you know I've handled the business end of my band for the last few years, and things have gone well for us. I have honestly slacked a little in the last year with everything going on in my life - going through divorce, my brother terminally ill, big changes at work, etc. I've kept up with all of the necessary business, but haven't really followed through on a lot of the stuff I wanted to do to advance things.

Long story short, a couple of the band members approached me and were worried about me and my health (I'm diabetic also, although that has not been a problem - mainly mental health). Quite honestly, I didn't tell them this, but if I didn't need the money so bad, I probably would have quit the band by now, but it's about 1/3 of my income and you can't just start up another band making that much, it takes years and then still may not get there. Some of them have a lot of time on their hands compared to me - although usually it's the case that the person with the most responsibility ends up with the most work, and thus the least time, but anyway... So we're going to split responsibilities. One person will handle all the communication with booking agent, bars, sound and light guys, facilities, and the band. One person will handle the money - deposits, payments, taxes. I'll continue to handle marketing and promotion - web site, emails, promotional items, etc. For tax reasons, changes will take effect Jan 1.

I'm all for shedding responsibility and hope it works out. I'm a little skeptical just because it seems like extra effort and more opportunity for the ball to get dropped. For instance, one person talks to the agent and is in charge of signing the contract, but the check needs to be made out to another person who has to deposit it and track it, and another person has to update the web site with the info. I could do that all in one fell swoop, but this will take much more communication and coordination. However, if it works, I'm all for it!

I figure give it a year and see how it goes. I'll keep you all posted as things develop.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all for shedding responsibility and hope it works out. I'm a little skeptical just because it seems like extra effort and more opportunity for the ball to get dropped. ..... I could do that all in one fell swoop, but this will take much more communication and coordination.

That's always been my experience. Good luck with everything though.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Sounds like quite the year, Dan. It seems a very wise decision to split up the business responsibilities in the band, and thus lighten the load on you. I can empathize somewhat - having been thrown some heavy duty 'curve balls' - musically and personally - over the past year (that may be an 'advice sought' topic for post in the not too distant future). You are indeed fortunate to have a couple of close friends/bandmates who care well for you. I'm glad, for your sake, that they took the step in approaching you with concern.

Take good care of yourself, and do keep us posted....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hopefully, despite what I'm sure are their own ways of doing things, they will be able to do their jobs with little or no intervention from you.

Good luck. In theory, this is the way bands should be run, but rarely are. May yours be an exception. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Some of them have a lot of time on their hands compared to me - although usually it's the case that the person with the most responsibility ends up with the most work, and thus the least time, but anyway... So we're going to split responsibilities.

Do you really believe that its the person with the most responsibility already, ends up with the most work, or simply the one who is most RESPONSIBLE. Period. That's been my experience. Those that always do, do more. Those that do not, do nothing! Like Cheech said in Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, "Hey Man, responsibility is a HEAVYYYYY responsibility."

It gets old after a while, indeed!

Sounds like splitting up some of the responsibilities is the right thing to do, but abdicating responsibility can be a difficult thing to do. Your band mates will no doubt have a different approach to some things than you do and you'll need to be mindful not to be critical of their efforts, so long as it meets the end goal.

Hopefully this divide and conquer approach will take care of all the bands needs and free up some time for you to tend to your own needs.

Good luck and keep the faith that it will all work out!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

This sounds like a positive step. Some people in these situations feel a need to tighten the reigns and fight to keep all the control, and that's usually disastrous.

So, like you say: give it a shot. If nothing else, the other folks will realize how much effort you've been putting into the business end of the band. And best of luck. :)

reign.

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/conan1-thumb.jpg

rein.

http://www.cowboyshowcase.com/images/glossary/two-rein2.jpg

rain.

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/P/PR/Prince/Purple-Single/prince-purple-rain-10.jpg

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

LMAO! Sorry for the typo. In our case, given your examples, I think it's rain!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My favorite Rane product

I suppose this cheated specsheetidea is more what hurts people nowadays:

-digital connections only obscure usb

-AD/DA conversion yes, all inputs the same kind

all outputs idem

-secret coded signals possible: of course according to IT specs

-hidden FFT-like transforms: yes

- on/off switch for these : no (of course not)

-transient mangler : yes

switchable : are you kidding ?

-phase trueness : a circle has 360 degrees

-limiting : only in secret circuit specified ways

-compatibility : somewhat, but no Lexicon will work much or sound good before or after it

-suitable for HiFi signals?: sure! Plug them right in...

Sorry, slightly OT (ever so little bit though) couldn´t resist after the indeed funny (?!) rane spec

Theo Verelst

I thought he was the king of his band! :idea:

My reign of terror is over, I'm handing over the reins, hoping the rain gives way to clearer skies, and investing in some new rane processors as we rein in the new year. Now that I won't have such a tight rein on the band, they can let freedom reign. But I wouldn't recommend leaving your rane in the rain.

EDIT: oooh, the Rainn thing popped in whilst I was typing - wish I would have incorporated it!

Dan

Dan,

Delegation is the way forward. I've gone through a similar thing this last year with my wife passing away in May from cancer. My band were more than happy to take some of the chores away from band running, to take some of the stress away.

It seems like you have a good set of bandmembers friends there who care about you and are trying to help in any way they can. That kind of support is invaluable.

Quitting the band for me was never an option 'cause I realised that when Denise was gone I would need them and the band more than ever.

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Good for your bandmates having the sensitivity to come to you wanting to help. If they can do the job to 80% of the effectiveness that you could do it alone, it's still worth delegating. It may take them time, and have periodic accountability checks with each other, but this could make the band and the bond within stronger.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The fact that they came to you is big. Best wishes for a better 2011.

Ian, sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad to hear that you had some good support as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In your situation you need all the help you can get.

Delegate, and hang in there.

+1.

Take care of yourself, my friend. :wave:

I agree with this too. Once your life is more back in order, if you want to take those responsibilities back, you likely can, and hey, if it's working out that they do some of the work, then leave well enough alone! Good luck.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I don't think it will take a year before you can evaluate how things are going. I venture to guess that the first (couple of) time(s) will go well because it is new to them and they want to do a good job. Once the novelty wears off, check to see how they handle it then.

Best of luck!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived