Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern synths for the ages?

Bucktunes

I still see Viruses selling on eBay like hot cakes, I think the TI2 will be sought after for a while longer. They're VAs, sure, but they were decidedly forward-looking in sound. Of the recent glut of real analog polys, only the Peak has really been forward-looking, and the P12 before it.

I reckon the MatrixBrute will be a classic though. I finally got to play one at the weekend and it really is in a league of its own.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andromeda

+1

This is still one of my favorites... and definitely a classic synth. She's a beauty.

http://www.muzoborudovanie.ru/equip/studio/synth/pict/a6.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Addendum: as others mentioned, some models become classics not because they are innovative or "special" in any way (they may even not sound that good), but simply because they sell a lot, and they end up in all records and stages.

So yes, the Microkorg surely IS a modern classic. It's undeniable that "The little keyboard with attached microphone" has become a visual and sonic feature of most stages in the last couple of decades.

I've heard non-keyboard players comment "Look, they got a Microkorg on stage!" when the band was actually playing a Mininova, Bass Station, Microbrute or any other minisynth. When a model name starts to be used to identify a whole market segment (e.g. people calling "Jeep" any kind of SUV-offroad car), you know it's a classic that left a real legacy.

I still dream of owning an Oberheim 8 Voice some day - but for now, the OB6 is fantastic. It's a beautiful sounding synth and very inspiring to play - I reckon that's a future classic along with the Prophet 6. The OB6 will feature heavily along with my suitcase Rhodes on the next album for sure.

Well, I think there is a possibility for the Motif series. Only because of all the artists since 2001 that have used them, in their various models.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

May I mention John Bowen Solaris and the Schmidt Eightvoice?

How many people own one, have ANYBODY ever seen one on a stage or music video, do they have an unmistakable unique sound, can you name an iconic piece of music everyone will instantly associate with the synth?

Surely they are amazing pieces of craftsmanship, but they seem to be just "more and better of the same old thing", I can't see how they could become "iconic" in the way Minimoogs, Odysseys, Prophets, CS-80s, D-50s and DX-7s were.

But it's true that times have changed, the iconic vintage synths were the ones that popularized that new exciting electronic sound. Now that sound is normal and given for granted, so even the most innovative and groundbreaking synth will always be viewed as "just another keyboard"...except by nerds like us of course ;)

Some cool synths and interesting thoughts above. :cool: I think I should refresh the original question, lest this turns into a "greatest synth ever" discussion. :laugh:

What synths that you can buy new today will still be owned and cherished 30 years from now the way we cherish the Minimoog, Prophet, OB__, Jupiter etc. now?

I agree the Virus series has made a place for itself in synth history, and the recent new analogs from Moog and Dave Smith seem to be winners as well. I could add that Kurzweil's VAST synths have now been around for 25 years, and the technology seems robust enough that a new one would most likely last for decades. I think it's too early to tell about the DeepMind 12. We'll have to see if it's sturdy enough to hold up well over time. I think it's safe to say most of us love the sound of it, though. :love:

I'd also like to add that IMO it's not really about which is most innovative or modern. Many amazing synths with cutting edge technology have come and gone after a short product life. The success of recent new analogs just goes to show that at the end of the day we often come back to sounds that were introduced 30 or 40 years ago. Sounds that were so musically useful they've become as much a part of our musical lexicon as the Rhodes, clav or Hammond. So maybe I should just get a Minimoog, OB6 and Virus TI2, keep my PC3x, and consider everything else disposable tools of the trade? :keys2:

><>

Steve

For me they are often lesser known synths that do not seem to have much a following at all. Mostly European.

American and Japanese synth companies seem to lost their imagination focused on reproducing old stuff .... Sort of like movie makers. Everything cool is a sequel. No one has the guts to do film adaptations of Neuromancer, Thomas Covenant, etc .... just more Planet of the Apes. :laugh: To be fair

DSI thinks outside the box. Prophet 12 takes risks. Matrix Brute deserves Brute but.... Arturia is European again.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived