Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody heard the new Santana thing?

Billster

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of the tunes are truly, truly solid. It has a strong opening- Zep cover w/Chris Cornell vox that is quite crankable- but the bulk of the songs are no better than Carlos' average stuff. There were some where it felt like he was holding back his unique style to remain more faithful to the original tunes. It's not a must buy for anyone but completists. Still, it's a nice collection.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

(Relatively) Short answer- seeing and hearing those videos on TV recently made me want the CD and/or DVD- and I can't say that about any Santana for yeeeeaaars now...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not particularly interested in the disc, but maybe I'd change my mind if I heard some tracks. FWIW, I saw him in concert this summer and was really impressed. I saw him maybe 15 years ago, I'm definitely a fan, but not of his newer stuff. I thought it might be a little sterile, and too poppy for my taste. However his band was awesome, he played a nice mix of older stuff, and his guitar playing was much, MUCH cooler than you hear on his recent albums.
Mutiple award-winning, original BRC (blues/rock/country) at http://www.zeyerband.com, http://www.myspace.com/zeyerband and http://www.soundclick.com/zeyer - check us out!

it is kind of cool. as much as Acca Dacca fans will hate it i kind of like the cover of Back in Black.

the lyrics already had a rapping quality to them...and it takes really big balls to do a cover of smoke on the water!

Did you hear Living Colour`s version of BiB?-great!

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I don't care so much for the new one, but his previous release was great. I think it is smart for a classic like Santana to align himself with newer talent and play some classics. he has played most of them over his career one time or another.

I wish I could play 1/2 as good as Santana does.

Would rather hear Santana play something new & original... like to hear some growth as a musician than the same ol licks.

I wonder what Miles Davis & Coltrane & all the other name he mentions in his interviews would really think about this album?

Most cover bands out there sound as good as this.

Would rather hear Santana play something new & original... like to hear some growth as a musician than the same ol licks.

You would think that somebody who keeps bringing up Wayne Shorter and Miles at least three times in each interview would have absorbed some of their influence and used it in his playing.

I think he knows five licks and keeps repeating them in every album. I just listened to Moonflower last week and he just kept repeating the same cliches. It's no wonder I haven't bought one of his albums since then.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

You would think that somebody who keeps bringing up Wayne Shorter and Miles at least three times in each interview would have absorbed some of their influence and used it in his playing.

I think he knows five licks and keeps repeating them in every album. I just listened to Moonflower last week and he just kept repeating the same cliches. It's no wonder I haven't bought one of his albums since then.

Some long-term members may recall a debate I got into with a former member who had best remain nameless. This person insisted on the superiority of Santana over Hendrix-

I brought up this same point among others.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I haven't heard it, so I know I can't really have an opinion, but the whole concept is .... just kind of wrong. Rod Stewart did a hits of the 70s and 80s cd, or something along those lines, a few years ago. It was a mail order thing - I saw the infomercial. It was embarassing. Now I know that Carlos has a much better integrity rating than Rod at this point ... but still! I mean, I never want to hear anybody doing a cover of Smoke On the Water again. I think Santana should have stuck with his initial instinct of rejcting the idea.

I can see that it might have some value to a younger audience who may not know all the songs, if they're even the ones who would be buying this, but for people who already know the material it doesn't seem very artistically valid.

Having said all that I'll have to say the GuitarPlayer interview about the new cd was really interesting.

Heard about it months and months ago. Waited until it was available, got it, and listened to it immediately. FYI, I've been a Santana fan since Woodstock. I will have to admit to more than a little disappointment. I don't think it's up to the level that Carlos is capable of. The songs he picked are great, I'm just underwhelmed by his versions. I heard more 'Carlos' flavoring and less "CARLOS". More like a Santana tribute band would do if these had been Carlos' songs to begin with.

Archived