Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line 6 POD HD

Gifthorse

I haven't heard one but my buddy just got the 500. He said it is insanely good, and that the effects in it are the best ever, and even more high quality than the X3.

They say it has 10 times more processing power.

One reason I love this company is because they are always improving their products and letting customers update older products with new models and effects.

One example the Toneport. I have my buddy's Toneport right now and it has never been better. Now they include a feature where you can run 2 amp models and effects chains at the same time, and mix them accordingly. Really incredible sounding. I mean it adds like exponential complexity and warm to the tone.

Now I don't think I could go back to the 1 amp sound from them. With the Toneport--which is 8 yr old technology. I can only imagine how HD sounds with 2 amp models mixed. Holy crap.

Or the combination of that new Line 6 amp that is all tube (no modeling) coupled with the HD (which are both designed for each other). I would garantee that is incredible.

I mean I am still blown away by the MK II which is an incredible amp.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine on a private forum which descended in several steps from the Line 6 Forum, anyways he had a chance to try one out in his house. Of course he is a monster Pod tweaker so he posted sounds he himself made vs the on board sounds that come with the unit which he said were mediocre.

Anyways the sounds he posted sounded like a recorded miked up tube amp, simple as that. I for one am not going to buy one because I don't need one, but it is supposedly the closes thing to a tube amp out there, and even nicer than the Axe FX from the samples I have heard, and at 1/4th the price.

Disclaimer I have nothing to do with Line 6 financially or in any other capacity.

Or the combination of that new Line 6 amp that is all tube (no modeling) coupled with the HD (which are both designed for each other). I would garantee that is incredible.

They have one, I forget the name of it because I am not interested but it is in production already and a friend of mine Andy Z form the Institute Of Noise website http://www.instituteofnoise.com/ has had one in use for a little while. He plays at the Malibu Pier Jam every week and has it there for folks to try out. He is involved with Line 6

I'm interested in playing a HD to see what they feel like. I have a Pod 2.0 which is really great for a lot of stuff but it does feel a little 'plactic-y' for want of a better word. When I use a more guitar-pedal-amp chain It seems like my nuances are a bit more intact or at least everything breathes more. These are all very vague descriptions, I know!

Line 6 are claiming the 'amp feel' is better on these due to the 10 x processing etc. Any news there from anyone?

Also, does anyone else feel the same way as me about their modeller - line 6 or otherwise?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Andy Z from the Institute of Noise website, is a friend of mine and I asked him on Facebook what he thought of it (he works for Line 6 or with Line 6) And he says that the thing has the dynamic response like a tube amp. Of course you have to watch the compressor and gate settings to get those dynamics I suppose, but he is impressed with it.

I'm interested in playing a HD to see what they feel like. I have a Pod 2.0 which is really great for a lot of stuff but it does feel a little 'plactic-y' for want of a better word. When I use a more guitar-pedal-amp chain It seems like my nuances are a bit more intact or at least everything breathes more. These are all very vague descriptions, I know!

Line 6 are claiming the 'amp feel' is better on these due to the 10 x processing etc. Any news there from anyone?

Also, does anyone else feel the same way as me about their modeller - line 6 or otherwise?

Harvey you need to upgrade to the latest firmware. Now you can run 2 models at once, and they are higher quality

My buddy (old guitarist) bought the 500 and he said it sounds so good it is sick.

Line 6 updates drivers regularly. When they do this they replace amp models with updated ones. They really do a great job with this. I mean even with the Toneport I am getting world class tones that are above and beyond like 2 years ago. Meaning they keep getting WAY better not just a little. When I play through my toneport it does play and sound like a micd tube amp. I can't tell the difference.

Before I could. Even when we recorded our CD I could. It felt weird, and if you used more gain it really got that compressed modeling sound/feel.

But they keep improving them, I wouldn't be surprised if these new ones for the Toneport are X3 models.

But no doubt HD is better. My buddy said it sounds better, but not WAY better. I mean with the latest firmware updates even XT sounds damn good now.

Like you could take an XT from 7 years ago without updates, or even 3 years ago. And compare it to the newly updated XT and it wouldn't even sound remotely the same. They have improved it so much.

Pardon I am new to these forums but it still appears most cannot get their hands on one because they are constantly sold out at most outlets.

I have had the pod500 for a month at least and it is superior to my gearbox gold with podfarm2 which is apparently equivalent to x3 and I have the old xt.

Is it 10x better? I can't say that yet, but it feels much better. Needs more amps, but a tweaker can create what he wants I think.

I play it thru the evh 5150 iii and a 300 stereo watt cab with the GT75s which is an interesting combination (way too loud in the mono setting, even for a stadium). That head isn't a studio monitor, but its clean channel with the clean cab strangely says what a guitar or good preamp wants it too with a little more punch.

Playing thru a jcm2000 tsl clean channel isn't bad either.

I wonder if the the new tube amps are better than playing thru the evh 5150 iii. Probably not.

That new Marshall AFD head sounds like a great deal. Too bad I don't a have another $2000 around. Hopefully it won't sell out before I have the money. A limited run.

Thanks.

I have the Spidy Valve Marc Ono with the tube front end mod. It is pretty cool. I loved it when I first got it. It's versatile enough, but no midi changes and no way to update it really piss me off. Since they come out with something new ever 6months with no trade in is also a pisser. I have a crap load of line 6 property. Each time they release an upgrade, poof my crap is crappier $$$>$

The one thing modeling can't do that I want to test out is the dynamic feel of a tube amp. Most noteably, a tube amp can sag on the high notes and punch on the low notes. With compression modeling, you seem to get sag compromise covering the full dynamic range. Dual band compression might be a good solution in the modeling. Do they have that on board?

Terrell,

I am not a compression expert, but it has several models, including but not limited to:

Tube Teletronix LA-2A Optical Compressor

MXR Dyna Comp

Boss CS1 Compression Sustainer

If I am following you, perhaps putting a compressor in each dual path and changing the settings on each can accomplish dual band compression, but I don't know exactly what you are getting at. Perhaps using the Boss pedal with treble boost on in one path and one that is off in the other path. Or even putting one before the other.

Another aspect of the tube like feel of the pod hd500 is backing off volume sounds good and difference in attack feels more like tubes.

I have 4 all tube amps and the POD HD comes close, but still not the same.

5150 III

Marshall TSL601 (modified)

Peavey JSX

Peavey Ultra Plus

Terrell,

I am not a compression expert, but it has several models, including but not limited to:

Tube Teletronix LA-2A Optical Compressor

MXR Dyna Comp

Boss CS1 Compression Sustainer

If I am following you, perhaps putting a compressor in each dual path and changing the settings on each can accomplish dual band compression, but I don't know exactly what you are getting at. Perhaps using the Boss pedal with treble boost on in one path and one that is off in the other path. Or even putting one before the other.

Multi-band compression is precisely like taking a crossover and compressing the output off each channel separately then mixing them back together. So you can compress the high and low, high mid and low or even 4 channels with different ratios, thresholds, attacks for each range.

Most eerything you hear these days is mastered that way. That's how they keep the mix in tact while pegging the needle between -2 and 0.

If you play a high watt tube amp at high gain, you might have the same "feel" experience. The tubes will sag the highs and transient peaks at a different attack and ratio to the low end thump. That's the feel I miss...

While the modeling sound can be spot on for open chords and open arpeggio rhythms, the feel get's too tight when you mute or thin when you pinch. Muted low thumps and muted high staccato lines don't feel the same way. Either one is to fat or the other is to thin.

Terrell,

Thanks for your comments. I watched you playing on your youtube link and it's great to see all those licks unaccompanied.

I think we will have to wait for more reviews with those who have played at high volumes with the pod hd and dt50 combined. They are sold to stand alone, but are also marketed to be designed for each other.

On the Spidervalve I you mention, at least it has 2 Celestion V30s which can be used somewhere else down the road. Also it can be used as a power amp with those speakers.

Welcome to the board Rando...

Sorry for the audio quality from the built in camera mic on the utube. That little puppy JVC mic is breathing with AGC and distorting from the SPL.

On part two - Since I've already torn it open for the mod, I'm pretty familiar with what's inside. I probably wouldn't use it as a power amp since it's ICB and the return from the loop seems to go back into the digital section before power amp.

I was considering buying MkII, but I'm so glad I didn't. If I had spent $1,800 on 2 amps in the same year and they release an even better one end of year, I wouldn't even consider listening to anything Line 6 again! As it is right now, I'll just wait to see how settled this model becomes. It's to much money for something that will become outmoded in 10 months. And, it's not like I can't afford it. It's really the point of throwing away money!

They should seriously consider a trade up program...

Archived