Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about going Kurz

Nillerbabs

The Kurz and Nord are 2 different animals. They both have great sounds. Kurz are for people who like to get really into the nitty gritty and sound creation, and Nords are for people who may not necessarily want or need all those extra goodies but want good meat and potatoes sounds and a great b3 model, all ready to be played instantly. In that price bracket its hard to find sounds that don't sound like what they're supposed to. Are they the real thing? Obv not. Are they close enough? Sure. Yes Nord will continue to update their library but Kurz users are programming their own sounds too and putting them online. Obv no one is going to do Kurz style editing AT a gig, thats ridiculous, so the diving into the menu at a gig issue isn't one. If you had a Kurz you'd make the time at home to learn it and program it to your needs and save your user presets in the user banks and have them easily accessible at a gig. Your sounds have a lot more customization with the Kurz and once properly programmed are just as easily manipulated as on a Nord, ie: assigning functions to different sliders. It's all really a matter of taste and how much effort you want to put in. And it's a never ending and always changing, and expensive, game with finding the right board and right sound. Theres always new shit that will give you GAS and someone who tells you its not the right board for you. It seems no one can have their cake and eat it too.

Now if I had to choose my rig, with my current knowledge, Id have a Pc3X and an electro 3 61. Best of both worlds. And Id throw in a ventilator on the 3 for good measure. And if for some reason I really wanted to upgrade my pianos, I could always get Ivory II and run that through the Kurz.

All good points.

Do keep in mind that we have taken some steps so that users don't have to do heavy editing and menu-diving....

First off, we included over 1000 presets, with many variations within each category (piano, EP, Clav, Strings, etc) so there's a good chance that players will find what they need without having to tweak at all.

For on-the-fly tweaking, we assigned relevant parameters to the sliders and provided an INFO soft button so you can see what each slider/wheel/button does in any given program.

And there's a Set Controls soft button to capture slider settings for quick tweaks.

So for basic stuff like brightening up a sound, or setting tremolo rate, all you have to do is set the sliders and capture.

Sure we do allow more nerdly, detailed editing, but it is a misconception that heavy editing is required to get good sounds. I think that gets thrown around a lot by folks who only know our boards from 10+ years ago.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VB3 - I'm running that on a notebook computer in a docking station with ASIO audio - leave it at church, and drive it with the PC2 when I don't carry the Electro 3.

It is a good sounding organ - doesn't sound at all like the Electro, in fact the overall tone is closer to the KB3 in the PC3 running beta OS 2. I don't have enough controllers on the PC2 to fully control all the drawbars remotely. I still carry the Electro most of the time to church. Figured I had an older notebook that could be left there, and VB3 didn't cost very much to add - gives me a better sound than the PC2's version of KB3, and is something that I can leave there for those miserable rainy days that I don't want to load anything in.

If I'm just adding a little Hammond to a guitar-driven band song, I sometimes even just use the KB3 module in the old PC2.

Dave Weiser's post is spot on - especially with the latest beta release, now when I adjust a slider, I can have real-time vision on the display of what I'm adjusting and how much. The PC3 keeps getting better, and I only had to pay for it once.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

And, if all that isn't good enough piano sound - hopefully, in the next week or two there will be a 5' 7" Baldwin Howard grand in the living room

Congrats! LOVE Baldwins. Love 'em.

As for the OP, I understand about the keybed. I definitely prefer the PC3, although organ-wise, no, there's no comparison to the NE3.

PC3 + lappy/receptor running VB3 = killer.

-John

I make software noises.

Dave Weiser's post is spot on - especially with the latest beta release, now when I adjust a slider, I can have real-time vision on the display of what I'm adjusting and how much. The PC3 keeps getting better, and I only had to pay for it once

I was waiting this new feature from the beginning...Yuhuuuuuu!

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

Dave Weiser's post is spot on - especially with the latest beta release, now when I adjust a slider, I can have real-time vision on the display of what I'm adjusting and how much. The PC3 keeps getting better, and I only had to pay for it once

I was waiting this new feature from the beginning...Yuhuuuuuu!

Good lord I'm finding out about a cool new feature in a forum!

Not like I work at R&D or anything....

I just went down to the software office to see this in action!

I've been waiting forever for this feature!!!!

I've been doing a ton of marketing work lately and have not been so focused on the new OS myself.

There's switch in the master page that enables the intuitive "reverse info".

Also just checked out another cool thing - assign a controller like a slider on the DSPmod page and it automatically generates the info entry for it.

The software guy responsible for this will be receiving a case of beer tomorrow. :)

The software guy responsible for this will be receiving a case of beer tomorrow. :)

Would this be the same software guy who created the fixed / variable DIG out virtually in front of our eyes?

Ninja, I say.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Archived