Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High school star I found on YouTube

I was on YouTube and searched for high school jazz piano and I found this amazing young woman. Ariel Pocock - jazz pianist and vocalist. I find such joy and inspiration listening and watching her and will be enjoy watching how far she goes (very far I'm sure.) Here's a few links; please check her out.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VERY nice. And doing some playing with Benny Green in the summers. That's not going to hurt her. Definitely worth tracking.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Wow, she's terrific! She's very special, man I'm quite impressed.

Very mature playing on Billie's Bounce & Straight no chaser from someone 18 years old. I also listened to B&S, wasn't crazy about the changes she used in a few places but a very nice, introspective version overall. Her voice had that Generation X/Y sound to it, reminded me of Madeline Peyroux. I thought her vocal phrasing in B&S was excellent.

She seems like she has her head in the right place too, listening to the short interview....not to mention hanging with the right mentors/teachers/Benny Green.

Dena DeRose, you've got company. Thanks for posting that, she's outstanding and hopefully has a great future.

My post sounds like I know her but I'm in my 50's and live in MA. It's fascinating watching her develop in video. I would like to hear her talk how she organized her transcribing and practicing from her playing on Billie's Bounce at 14, playing Charlie Parker licks and quoting from his tunes to the 18 year old who is just killin' it and her vocal talents are off the chart. I hear a little Billie Holiday and Diana Washington. I wish I could watch similar video developments of greats (bill, keith, herbie, bud, oscar, brad, etc.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Archived