Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How often do you sell off gear?

Synthoid

Seems some folks don't hang onto their keyboards very long. I'm amazed when I see practically new toys going up for sale shortly after purchase.

Obviously there are occasional financial reasons for liquidating gear, but overall... what's your average time of ownership before selling keyboards?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until it breaks or until an upgrade that I can't live without comes out. I have an original Electro and S90ES. I bought both when they first came out. The Electro replaced a VK7 and Yamaha P50 piano. The S90ES replaced some rack modules and a Fatar controller board.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Most gear gets a three-month probationary period before I realize something is not fitting in as I had hoped. I can't audition much locally, so there are some boards that end up being a "rental" in that respect.

Past about three months, the reason for selling vary greatly, but if it lasts beyond 18 months, it's a keeper for 3-4 years at least.

-J

I make software noises.

Unless I wind up with some dissatisfaction after purchase, I tend to keep equipment for a good while. Eventually, I wind up with just too many of an item, and start thinking about selling off something, based on current use, how much I like the item, and whether or not its place can be (or has been) taken over by something else.

Another considerable factor is the ease of selling an item, and the amount of return. I still have a large bass amp head and speakers mostly because its too big to pack and ship.

I'd probably still have the Prophet 600 I bought in 1983 if it had been fixable without major trouble and expense. I had a bass guitar I bought about the same time until I sold it to help raise funds to buy the Electro. So, it also depends on whether or not selling something will provide money to purchase something else (that will presumably be more use).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The gear category that I cycle through far more than anything else are digital pianos. It's just so hard to be satisfied with anything. And I want to be satisfied! And the DPs that I usually want the most (e.g., Kawai MPs) are too heavy, which I usually reluctantly conclude only after trying to haul them around 3-4 times a week for several months. I wish I could get some of that rather exorbitant "rental" money back, but of course I can't. Craiglist is my friend, because who wants to be shipping 50 lb keyboards. That, and living in a large urban area with lots of potential buyers, helps some.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Almost never. I drive my cars into the ground, too. When I'm done with a keyboard, it's usually either trash or suitable for donation.

I gotta say, though, I love all you guys who pay for the "new keyboard smell" and then put them on the resale market!

I confess I'm a bit envious of folks who constantly buy and sell and keep only the gear that suits them perfectly. While I have a great connection to all the instruments I own, only a few are true flawless gems. No doubt if I cycled more gear, I'd have stuff that fits me a bit better -- but at a substantial increase in cost. I'm very satisfied with the value I've gotten from the gear I've bought over the decades. When I amortize the cost of something over the 10, 20, or 30 years I've had it, it becomes quite reasonable! :D

Of all my gear, keyboards have the shortest shelf life, but still the average is nearly 10 years, thanks to my Rhodes (30 yrs and counting), CP70 (20 years), and MR76 (12 yrs and counting). I think I had my Roland JX10 for about 10 years too.

Everything is for sale. I try not to get attached to gear because every Korg, Roland, Yamaha, and Nord is the same. I don't get hung up on gear because unless it is vintage it really is not worth it. I sell a lot of gear but keep a few things for a gigging rig. I sell Hammonds and Leslies here and there but that is to turn a profit.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

By the time I upgrade a keyboard, there's no point in even trying to sell. I'm a bit of a creature of habit, and comfort. I'll get comfortable with a piece of gear, and setting it up becomes habit.

My latest upgrade to the QSC K10 does not mean I'm selling my old gear, just retiring. Never know when I'll need to bring my cabs and amp to bolster the PA in a larger gig.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Almost never... I plan my purchases carefully and my modus operandi is to plan at least ten years out of it.

The shortest I have owned a keyboard is about a year. I sold my Elka DMP-18 MIDI bass pedals because the MIDI was poorly implemented. The elka is from the early days of MIDI when some makers didn't understand MIDI too well.

Yeah the DX7, there's a tough one to part with. :sick:

I'm in the "almost never" category too. If you look at my equipment list in my sig, you will see some relics of the past. They all work.

I doubt I will be making any substantial purchases any time soon, I'm a relic too. :freak:

I guess when you're too old to "rock 'n roll" buying new gear is viewed as throwing money away.

Now if I were going to live forever................

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have a few sentimental pieces, that I've kept over the years (and others that I wish I had kept), but for the most part, soon as something comes along that is a good improvement (sonically or functionally), I'll make a gear change.

I did manage to "thin the herd" over the last couple of years, just because some of the stuff I had needed to be used, and there was redundancy.

Almost anything digital is fair game for trade in/up. Analog or acoustic instruments are a different story completely.

My Hammonds, Rhodes, vintage analog synths, 1960 Stratocaster are all untouchable.

My romplers, DP's, digital synths and clonewheels are all subject to change.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

With the exception of my Juno 106, which I will keep for as much of forever as fate allows because I bought it with my allowance when I was a kid and it's sentimental (not to mention still pretty cool), I do cycle gear through. However, not till the wheels fall off if it ... or it sounds pathetically dated. And I mean, pathetically.

Before I bought my current Kurz PC2 and Nord E2-73 in 2003 or so, I had a Roland U-20 and an Voce B-something-or-other, and was still gigging with the Juno. I've had a few other modules but I can't remember what they were right now.

I plan on upgrading once again because my playing focus, and hence live-gear needs, have changed.

I end up buying a lot of stuff used on craigslist or sometimes getting closeout or refurbed. So for all you "renters," out there, thank you.

BTW, I found out that I bought my NE2 from our very own forumite Adan all those years ago, LOL (I hope you don't mind my sharing that)! Adan, I may take you up on your offer to try out the Nord Piano sometime, if it's still on the table? Not to buy yours assuming you're keeping it, but I just can't find any in stores around here. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Well, you can see by my signature that I am guilty of hanging on to stuff. I dumped my B-3 and Leslie and Rhodes 73 a long time ago, but those were just to big keep around. My ARP Odessey was stolen, so someone probably did me a favor on that one. I'm dating myself, eh?

I haven't got a clue why I've kept the String Ensemble and Juno 106. They both work perfectly and are in fine shape, but I never play them. I maybe fire them up once a year for general principles. The D-50 will always remain a fav of mine and although I don't gig with it at all, I still like hearing those great classic sounds it produces.

Psychologically, isn't there something really cool about a room full of keyboards? Is that weird? Everytime I walk into my music room and see all the stuff, well, it just feels good. Maybe that's why they're still there. If someone offered me the right price for one of them, I'd probably let it go. But they don't bother me in the least being there.

Richard

Korg Triton Extreme, Roland VR-760, Roland D-50, A&H ZED 12-FX, QSC K12s

Yeah the DX7, there's a tough one to part with. :sick:

Yeah... I'm only half-joking.

I still have my Kurzweil 1000PX rack and K2000. Some kind of drum machine is in the closet. I've got a Digitech DSP-128 and a DOD 430 EQ left over from the stone age. Heck, I've even got an Alesis DataDisk and their crappy 3630 compressor (thanks again, Zak).

Strangly enough, I keep it all in working order. If I take anything out to gig, it's going to be the PC2X, the EAW FR153 pair, Mackie 1402VLZ and QSC PLX 1804. Of course, if I'm really feeling lazy I'll just play in mono with my JBL EON 15PAK instead.

I carry it all in a Honda Odyssey. However, it's getting pretty long in the tooth. But now you guys got me thinking. I can't come up with a really good reason not to declare MidLife Crisis, walk away from all this and buy a nice red Porsche.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/reviews/driven/18480741+w440/0904_07_z+2010_porsche_911_gT3+front_three_quarters_view.jpg

I'm only half-joking. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I tend to select gear pretty carefully, and keep it for a long time. It goes up for sale if I find I am not using it too much. Over the past year I have had a pretty massive sell-off, and I find I am not missing anything too much....

I can only buy a new keyboard or any purchase over $50.00 with my wifes permission. She does let me make some purchases from time to time, but I really need to explain to her in terms she can understand as to why I need new gear.

My mantra for the last a few years has been " it's player not the keyboard"

I can only buy a new keyboard or any purchase over $50.00 with my wifes permission. She does let me make some purchases from time to time, but I really need to explain to her in terms she can understand as to why I need new gear.

Ouch.

We all make and live with our choices. I personally couldn't live with the above situation (no offense meant), but to each their own.

This could be a good segue into a new thread .

How often do you change wives (or husbands or S/O)?

:cool:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I should add that I almost buy B-stock or when large discounts are available... because that's how I roll.

Part of the irrational justification process: "but it was on sale!"

I've gotten a few huge deals at GC over the last few years. If it ain't on sale, I normally won't buy it.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have my Nord Lead 2 and Electro over ten years. To say the full story, i once sold them to a guy but... i bought them back two years later from the same guy! It was 50% sentimental, and 50% practical: these are my main axes for my band's gig until now... I still have my Hammond Porta B + Leslie since 2000 but this is pretty much the oldest piece of gear. All the others, i sell when my group/job requires for different axes.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My synths range from brand new to 35 years old. ROMplers get traded most often. Some units, like my Emu XL7 will never be sold. Even if I am not using it, it feels like a friend that has earned a permanent place. Plus, I refuse to sell it for the going rate when it is still in great condition.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I usually don't buy an instrument without being pretty sure that I'll use it. This involves trying it, doing researches on the alternatives, etc. Consequently, I usually keep (and use) my keyboards for many, many years. I also tend to make my own sounds, so I'm reluctant to part with instruments on which I have invested much time and energy.

Possible exceptions are digital pianos, as it has been said, and selling a keyboard instrument to buy the rack version. I've done this three times, after having realized that the keybeds on those instruments were so horrible that I couldn't adapt my playing to them.

With the exception of my Juno 106, which I will keep for as much of forever as fate allows because I bought it with my allowance when I was a kid and it's sentimental (not to mention still pretty cool), I do cycle gear through. However, not till the wheels fall off if it ... or it sounds pathetically dated. And I mean, pathetically.

Before I bought my current Kurz PC2 and Nord E2-73 in 2003 or so, I had a Roland U-20 and an Voce B-something-or-other, and was still gigging with the Juno. I've had a few other modules but I can't remember what they were right now.

I plan on upgrading once again because my playing focus, and hence live-gear needs, have changed.

I end up buying a lot of stuff used on craigslist or sometimes getting closeout or refurbed. So for all you "renters," out there, thank you.

BTW, I found out that I bought my NE2 from our very own forumite Adan all those years ago, LOL (I hope you don't mind my sharing that)! Adan, I may take you up on your offer to try out the Nord Piano sometime, if it's still on the table? Not to buy yours assuming you're keeping it, but I just can't find any in stores around here. :)

Yes, that was funny revelation. The offer stands. I'm still happy with the NP, but one never knows. It would be a close call which I've had more of over the last 20 years, digital pianos or girlfriends.

I probably shouldn't mention that Tom (IGTITC?), in a parallel thread, has declared everyone on Craigslist a Loser. Oops, I mentioned it. Oh well, now it's a matter between you and Tom.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I sell gear when it has outlived its usefulness, or when I need/want something new. I rarely spend money that isnt earned from selling gear. When I like something, it stays for a long time and when I dont, its gone. Everything I own get used REGULARLY.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived