Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Will and Jada Smith are starting to scare me....

NoahZark

I was only a little disturbed by Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith deciding to produce the new Karate Kid movie specifically as a star vehicle for their son Jaden. After watching this video, however, I really have to wonder what's going through their minds as parents:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

This girl is 9 years old.

Does anyone else see a problem here?

Noah

P.S. To quote Kanker, that song makes me want to punch myself in the balls. Or, better yet, punch Will Smith in the balls.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

talented kid. The dancing doesn't bug me- it's hip but not suggestive. The piercings- well, yeah I wouldn't let my 16 yr old daughter do that let alone 9 yr old, but I suppose it's possible they're not real piercings.

What else am I missing?

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

If their kids are creative, shouldn't they be encouraged?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

talented kid. The dancing doesn't bug me- it's hip but not suggestive. The piercings- well, yeah I wouldn't let my 16 yr old daughter do that let alone 9 yr old, but I suppose it's possible they're not real piercings.

What else am I missing?

If that wasn't Will and Jada's kid, that you wouldn't see her in entertainment.

What else am I missing?

well, that appears to be assuming they're not providing balance to her childhood. If they're pushing her career at the expense of growing up, then that's not good, but I wouldn't make that assumption (if that's what you're implying).

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Well, it's a testament to Will Smith's power in Hollywood that he can get an entire move produced for his son. Maybe we didn't need to see a rap song by his daughter, but it is certainly a more constructive thing than just spoiling them. By all accounts I understand that he and Jada are very involved in their kid's educations and are in general proactive parents, as opposed to the more typical Hollywood messes we see out there. Michael and Dina Lohan, anyone?

It always makes me cringe slightly when I see young kids behaving as though they're 30-odd years old.

The Smith family were on a UK talk show recently, promoting the Karate Kid film.

Their daughter was, to my mind, particularly obnoxious -

old beyond her years and too opinionated.....

a bit like when you see those 'beauty-pageant'-type things with 4 year-old kids.

And as for the 'song'.............. it's crap.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

What else am I missing?

well, that appears to be assuming they're not providing balance to her childhood. If they're pushing her career at the expense of growing up, then that's not good, but I wouldn't make that assumption (if that's what you're implying).

Not implying that at all. I would think they're exceptional parents and I admire their commitment and work ethic. That particular track/video is so heavily produced and edited it's hard to tell just how "talented" Willow is. My point is there are many talented young people out there, more so than Willow, that we won't hear/see. Mom and Dad have the star power and here comes the money.

Bring back Dino, Desi and Billy...

I saw the Jaden kid making the rounds for the Karate Kid and the only thing I thought (I saw him on Leno and Letterman) was what an obnoxious, arrogant little shit. He is missing the humility gene. I at first thought it was an act (he was on Letterman), but when I saw it again, I realized it wasnt an act, it was hubris. His father certainly hasnt displayed that trait in public.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have actually been a fan of Will Smith's for awhile. Unlike so many others, he made it in the rap game without singing 24/7 about murder, fornication and pure self aggrandizement.

Also:

-That movie he made with his son killed!

-This video is a little creepy, but not overly so. I think it's fun. 9 years old, yeah that's a little young for such things.

But 9 is the new 14.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm worried about the health of her neck. I'm worried about my neck, and all I did was watch the video.

Other than that, I liked it. It's fresh.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Will Smith doesn't get too many props as an MC, but some of that stuff was catchy. His partner in crime, Jazzy Jeff is a bonafide legit and highly respected DJ. Also out of Philly of course.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

10 years ago I had a similar prudish reaction to 'Bootylicious' from "Destiny's Child" It was the use of young kids at the end of the video and dancers gyrating with Jon Benet Ramsay clones to the chorus as Beyonce was teaching a few young kids the dance steps.

I noticed that the extended pieces involving the kids are not on YouTube.

Edit: There's her clothing line which got Michelle Malkin up in arms

Beyonce's new brand of pedophilia chic

I saw the Jaden kid making the rounds for the Karate Kid and the only thing I thought (I saw him on Leno and Letterman) was what an obnoxious, arrogant little shit. He is missing the humility gene. I at first thought it was an act (he was on Letterman), but when I saw it again, I realized it wasnt an act, it was hubris. His father certainly hasnt displayed that trait in public.

John and Tony capture my feelings precisely. I'm a huge fan of Will Smith. I dug his early rap stuff, I watched his TV show for years (to the point of memorizing the damn theme song), and I see most of his movies. He's a great actor and deservedly one of his Hollywood's biggest stars today. But I'm turned off by his and his wife's apparent desire to push their kids into the spotlight, since they're coming across like "pageant parents." I'm even more turned off by the kids themselves. As Tony says, they appear to be missing a humility gene and it's quite off-putting.

This girl is 9 years old.

Does anyone else see a problem here?

I am planning to show this video to my 9 year old daughter because I think she will dig it. It's fun and catchy. This is more age appropriate for her than a lot of the Miley Cyrus stuff she is exposed to by her classmates.

As to the potential child-star problems ... yes I agree that's worth considering. Will and Jada epitomize work ethic and values. According to wiki, they didn't start in the business till the late teens. I can understand that every parent tries to pass something on ... but the entertainment industry routinely devours the young. There is a lot of risk here.

Jerry

Far better to give your kids a shot at a career than to give them mere money.

As far as the composition goes .... snore.

If the kids are brats, that's too bad. Hopefully they'll mature out of it. I'd have been a brat in a similar situation, but I was spared that particular agony and learned humility the normal way.

I really don't have a problem with Willow's musical contribution. No better or worse than any other teeny bop Pop song.

IMO, the Smiths are smart to provide their kids with more than an inheritance. Using their star power to create opportunities makes sense.

Of course, I would hope they are also teaching them to be humble. That remains to be seen as they get older. Give it time. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Give it time. :cool:

Fair enough, PD. But it's difficult to instill humility when you're starring in movies and/or music videos at such a young age. I'll give it time, but my hopes are not high for these youngsters.

Also, you mention teeny bop pop. I agree that the song is no worse or better than that standard fare, but this particular example is being offered by a 9 year-old. That seems very young to me, even by teeny bop pop standards. Miley Cyrus (aka Hannah Montana), for example, was 13 or so when her Disney show started, and that seems a far more typical age for the precocious types to get started. Nine years old just seems ridiculous to me. What is Will and Jada's "rush" to get Willow "out there"?

Noah

I wonder how a song like this gets produced (kind of makes me nauseous), and then I realize that the girl's got talent, money, connections, and good genes...

Nice voice for a 9 year old (even if there is a bit of Autotune applied in places).

Love to hear her in another 9 years.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• 2 weeks later...
a 9 year-old. That seems very young to me, even by teeny bop pop standards.
MJ was what, 6, when he started backing up the Jackson Brothers? He was 8 when he started sharing lead vocals with The Jackson 5.

Was that good for his personal life? Probably not. Was it good for his professional career? Without a doubt.

Shirley Temple was three when she started her film career. At six she had a hit song, "On the Good Ship Lollipop", from the film Bright Eyes. This was back in 1934.

Archived