Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Recharging Room

SK

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is one from Chris Potters's Underground. Love the way they groove in 15/8! And no bass player.

Craig Taborn has a very refreshing approach.

And one from Django Bates, also in 15/8 by a weird coincidence

sorry I don't get this embedding thing

Excuse my double post but I just found this:

[video:youtube]

There's so much I love about Hargrove. His tone, his attitude towards his solos, the general funkiness, and he writes beautiful ballads, too! The piano player is a real soulful guy.

That piano player is none other than the great Gerald Clayton. That's John Clayton's son. Gerald is one of the supreme badasses to come out of the L.A. youth scene in the past 5 years. He also came in 2nd in the Monk competition a couple years ago (to Tigran Hamaysian if I'm not mistaken).

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Thanks for the Bad Plus and Chris Potter links, wow, very cool stuff.

I think I wouldn't like Iverson so much outside of the Plus, but he fits into that band so well. Dave King slays me, too.

I've seen Craig Taborn a number of times, and even had dinner with him once. Very cool guy, we had a great chat, mostly about Sun Ra, he's a fan as well. Amazing player too, I really like what he does on Rhodes with Potter. His acoustic playing is stellar as well

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

A couple more things to add back to the flow of inspiration.

Vijay Iyer: This is one of his most normal recordings, a M.I.A. cover

John Zorn's Electric Masada, Jamie Saft plays some nice Rhodes

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

This thread prompted me to check out some music from one of my college professors. Though I majored in engineering, I did get a minor in music technology (sound recording, etc.). Anyways, I've been listening to some of his stuff for a few days now and wanted to share some of my favorites:

Action Figures - One of his original tunes

Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - Interpretation of the 1974 movie theme of the same name.

Bitches Brew - Including this one because of a certain instrument that makes and appearance around 6:45

moj, those Lyle Mays demos are nice - when I first saw that, it convinced me to get Trillion.

RichieP, I'm curious, what college is that? Our quartet gig played at a Pittsburgh college (Univ. of Pittsburgh?) just a few years ago.

They told us all their concerts "must be avant garde" which we thought was kinda funny. Our stuff often stretched into those areas anyway, so we said "ok, no problem." They had a drummer open for us who played electronic drums and effects. Now I'm thinking this might be the same college, which could explain the direction there.

RichieP, I'm curious, what college is that? Our quartet gig played at a Pittsburgh college (Univ. of Pittsburgh?) just a few years ago.

They told us all their concerts "must be avant garde" which we thought was kinda funny. Our stuff often stretched into those areas anyway, so we said "ok, no problem." They had a drummer open for us who played electronic drums and effects. Now I'm thinking this might be the same college, which could explain the direction there.

I went to Carnegie Mellon University (which is a few blocks away from University of Pittsburgh). Ben Opie (alto player/band leader/professor) taught me ProTools and the basics of subtractive synthesis, among other things. Also, the trumpet player on the Taking of Pelham 1 2 3, Roger Dannenberg, is a Professor of Computer Science at CMU and is perhaps most famous for making the university's robotic bagpiper, McBlare.

I'm betting the performance you did was for Pitt, though. I know they had a concert series very similar to what you describe (http://www.music.pitt.edu/mote). What year did you perform? I was at CMU 2005-2009. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have definitely gone to see your quartet!

Thanks Richie. I'm thinking it was just before you were there, around 2003-2004, and now I remember it was Univ. of Pitt. in the auditorium/concert hall. It was just odd they limited everything to the label "free jazz" or avant garde. Nothing against that when the players are good... it's just that anything cacophonous can slip by as "ArT". :freak:

I'm doing some more Midwest gigs this winter, which might lead to a concert there again. I'll post it in my links below if that happens.

And yeah moj, I've been happy with Trilian. There's a few basses on there that are great.

Interesting, cutting edge stuff everyone. :thu:

I realized I haven't contributed a thing so I'll do a 180 and go back to the straight ahead thing. This is imo one the hippest Standards ever written and one my all time favorites. "East of the Sun"

While I'm not a huge fan, I like this rendition, the groove and how she phrases the melody. On the last "A" they (Jeff Hamilton, John Clayton & Anthony Wilson) all appear to be having such a good time, she fluffs a line.

They stretch out a bit more here, nice solos all around. She plays some nice block chord things, man she knows what she's doing. She had a great mentor, Jimmy Rowles. They're really swingin'.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Good, timeless stuff, Dave. (favorite Jimmy Rowles quote: "If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.")

OK, chops for the recharging room.

Check out talented pianist Taylor Eigsti. (listen all the way through, past the guitar solo.)

I like the way he strings ideas together - he has an individual perspective.

Melodic and voicing sensibility almost on par with Chick or Jarrett, and chops of Oscar or Hiromi. (I say that from hearing him on other stuff.)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G61FLY4PUG4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

SK, Really like the Taylor Eigsti clip a lot, I may need to get that record. I know this probably heresy around here, but I like the guitarist as well, Julian Lage is a new name for me, but I like way both he and Eigsti straddle the inside/outside, traditional/modern boundaries in a really effortless and musical way. Plus, the fact that they can bring something new to Caravan without seeming gimmicky (at least to me) is pretty impressive.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some fancy playing there, Eric. Strong stuff, if a little nebulous, but impressive. Great execution, especially the bass and drums.

Thanks to you, moj and RichieP for keeping some ideas flowing in here.

I don't have much time to post these days. I'm in a new "band" now - not my own, but it's taking more of my time. An electric bass player from Nashville is in it too - I think Steve Nathan probably knows Keith Horne. We'll start gigs, a recording and doing a TV show, all in the coming week.

Keep the music videos coming - I appreciate hearing them all.

:D Leave it to Bill Evans to make a version of a tune where he doesn't remember all the words still sound great.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

French singer Camille. She does most of her stuff a capella. Her album Le Fil is great. The second video is the opening track. The whole album is in one key, with one note floating in the backround at all times, transitioning between songs.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5z3PIwkoNM&feature=related

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818l1j1lEUI&feature=related

Archived