Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Recharging Room

SK

I thought I'd post some friends I've done many, many years of gigs and recordings with.

Some "new music" with great drummer Howard Curtis (on his own extensive percussion), drummer Emre Kartari and trumpet extraordinaire John Dearth.

John is head of the jazz dept. at Univ. of Va. Howard is now teaching at the Univ. of Vienna, Austria, and Emre just started a jazz department at a university in Istanbul. This was taped live in Charlottesville, Va.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was fun Steve. The timpani and misc. percussion really added a great overall effect. Enjoyed John very much.

Eric, thanks for the Aaron Parks/Redman/Harland vid. Nice music. Aaron has a great touch, looks like he as a great future ahead of him.

Mark, thanks for that Mason Bros. thing. I've long been a DK fan since I met him over 20 years ago playing with Randy Brecker at the old Catalina's in Hollyweird.

I know his playing fairly well and just listening to the short blips on that vid, it sounds like he as gone to the "next level". I haven't bought a "Jazz cd" in a long time but this one I'm definitely going to pick up. Antonio Sanchez is one my favorite drummers along with Bill Stewart. Scott and I use to play together at the "Studio Cafe" in Dana Point in the 80's before he went to NY. It's over an hour , sometimes close to two hours in traffic from LA, we used to go down there for $60. One time I remember driving Scott and his bass all the way back to the Valley after his ancient Toyota pickup blew up. He bolted out of the gig right away and was about 15 minutes in front of me, I'm coming up the 55 freeway to the 5 and there's Scott on the side of the freeway waving at me as I'm driving by. Luckily I didn't go home the 405 or I never would have seen him. He's one of top ten Jazz bassists in world and deservedly so.

Thanks Carlo for Enrico's "Invitation". He showed a little harder edged side of him then I'm accustomed to, I heard a little McCoy in there. Always great to hear him.

This thread is good for keeping me in the loop about new stuff like the Mason Bros and Jonathan Kreisburg. I don't get out too much anymore.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Never heard of John Dearth, but what a great player.

Enrico Pieranunzi's intro to "Invitation" is a composition in itself and what a great rhythm section.

Jonthan Kreisberg plays a long phase with skill and interest. Not too many guitarists today can play this way without repeating their bag of licks.

John Abercrombie is another guitarist that can keep the long phrase fresh and inspiring. Organist pounds the bass without a glich and the drummer keeps it all flowing. They've been playing a long time together.

Nik Bartsch clip is a composed piece, very nice textures and mood.

Dave Kikoski plays great on those tracks. Great player.

Impressive, moj. She's got some pipes and breath control. (I'm not a singer, so 'pipes and breath control' sounds like I know what I'm talking about. :) ) Well performed by all.

It's nice to wake up and find new stuff posted in here. Most all of these clips have a joyful, in the moment feel, something that's in all the best music, classical, jazz or rock. A good reminder why we all play music. Thanks, moj.

I'll simply say...if you don't understand the music...go away.

It's not that I don't understand the music Dave - it's just that it does nothing for me at all...

never has done, never will :deadhorse:.

Think I'll vacate this thread now!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I'll simply say...if you don't understand the music...go away.

It's not that I don't understand the music Dave - it's just that it does nothing for me at all...

It's an acquired taste for sure.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Hey PostItNote, saw your first post here. Welcome to the forum. :thu:

It's an acquired taste for sure.

It is. Musical curiosity leads to acquired tastes.

Think I'll vacate this thread now!

Don't let the flat 5 hit you on your way out. :) I think you've made your opinion pretty clear.

Now I gotta say... you know, I really don't get why anyone would have such a visceral negative reaction to improvised music that they'd have to sabotage a thread. Where does that come from, when you can't handle another person's musical tastes so much that you have to attack their tastes? I don't jump on the latest pop thread and slam it. We find good musical ideas from everywhere and anywhere. And when you don't like something, you don't like it. :idk That's normal!

Although it's hard to believe you couldn't find even one thing to like here, jpscoey, that's OK. Tastes are different, "to each his own." No one made you listen or post in this topic either. Different stuff's going up pretty fast you never know, someone might actually post something you would like. The thread only started yesterday.

But since you're apparently bothered by it jpscoey, I agree, it's probably better to vacate the thread (than 'evacuate' in it.)

I actually considered not posting another note and letting this prove Theo right, that there's "no jazz scene" here. But then other guys went ahead and posted more music because we'd rather LISTEN here than talk, much less argue.

Now I don't want to encourage disruptive discussion, so enough talk. If you don't like something, lighten up folks - it's just music. :rolleyes:

Actually I agree with Theo, there is "no jazz scene here", never really has been. What I have seen though is a lot of hatred for Jazz and the Arts in general mainly by people (some who actually think of themselves as a "Jazz player") who are obviously intimidated not only by this music they can't hear or play but, by the fact they are people in this world that actually have a work ethic on their instrument and are willing to devote a good portion of their lives to do whatever it takes to get better in Jazz and to become an overall better musician.

Like Steve said, I could just see the reaction if him or I jumped in on the latest "'ELP/Genesis/Jordan Rudess/whatever thread" and said something like--" I used to play that music when I was youngster, but you know what ? I grew out of it. That drivel sounds to me like a bunch of ego driven rock stars , playing way too on top of the beat, getting adulation by a nation of arrested development wannabes for chops that any good second year Conservatory Classical piano student would possess. I moved on and grew up, I only listen to Keith, Bill or Ravel".

We'd get killed !! The backlash would be :cry::deadhorse: :idk :blah::rolleyes::crazy: X 10 !!

So yeah, just let us have our little space. Tell ya what, you don't bother us, we won't bother you. I'm not feeling as " Niiice" as Steve is today. If I would have posted what I really felt yesterday I'd probably make Dave Horne look like Mother Therssa.

2005 NY Steinway D

yikes, I wouldn't have posted about the CCD's if I'd realized this was a jazz thread. However, I think the Jacob Bro piece, as well as some other music posted here, should make people think about what different genres have in common rather than how they diverge.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Adan, I began the thread as a "jazz listening booth" idea, but as you point out, all creative music applies. No need to divide and separate music if it's headed towards a musically creative goal. I hate labels anyway, because people line up on their respective sides of those stupid lines and don't "hear" each other. So thanks for posting the piece.

+1 Dave.

yikes, I wouldn't have posted about the CCD's if I'd realized this was a jazz thread. However, I think the Jacob Bro piece, as well as some other music posted here, should make people think about what different genres have in common rather than how they diverge.

The OP said:

I thought it might be cool to have a 'listening booth' for "new jazz". This could be anything new, timeless, or just players with fresh ideas.

Feel free to add any interesting videos you come across.

Seems like there is room for something a bit outside of jazz as well

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Seems like there is room for something a bit outside of jazz as well
Right. It's just a thread to post new or unique music to "recharge" us. I said jazz, which to me means improvisation. The more ideas going on, the greater chance for recharging. But a great composition or even an arrangement can inspire or recharge you too.

Here's a modern Miles type of thing with two guys I've also played with some, trumpeter Tim Hagans and sax player Bob Belden. It burns as it gets into it. BTW, what's the keyboard rig going on here?

If I would have posted what I really felt yesterday I'd probably make Dave Horne look like Mother Therssa.

Who? :cool:

I think Mother Therssa are an off-shoot of the band Motherf**king Sadistic Axe Slaughterers.

They do a lot of work for charity.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Sorry, one typo in my angst--now go run with it.

I really enjoyed that Steve, especially the title--good timing. :cool:

Great groove with Bass & Drums that mixed da funk and avant garde things nicely. Tim took a burnin' solo there, I've always dug his playing. Wow 10 years ago, they're all even better today-that's a scary thought.

I've seen Scott play numerous times and I have a deep admiration for his artistry. Loved his comping and fills here.

To me he's an extension of the Joe Z tradition. Plays the electronic stuff with such an organic feel and chops, you don't notice it's electronic. If there is anyone around that will come up with the most wild, unheard of textures or sounds and use them in the most hip, musical way, it would be Scott. I've heard some recordings of his where excerpts sounded like the folks from Neptune just landed. :laugh: I love it, he's got a total command of synths and the technology but he's coming from a REAL PLAYER background.

2005 NY Steinway D

Perfect description of Scott, Dave, definitely an extension of Joe Z.

BTW, to clear up something I said earlier, I haven't played a lot with Hagans or Belden. I used to get called to play with Tim when he came through D.C. and I was in Baltimore. We did a few quartet hits at places like Twins in D.C.

Bob Belden was playing with Woody Herman when I joined that band a long time ago. I've never done a small group gig with Bob, but now I have a few fellow musician friends who've worked and recorded a lot with him. Small world.

I've seen Scott play numerous times and I have a deep admiration for his artistry. Loved his comping and fills here.

To me he's an extension of the Joe Z tradition. Plays the electronic stuff with such an organic feel and chops, you don't notice it's electronic. If there is anyone around that will come up with the most wild, unheard of textures or sounds and use them in the most hip, musical way, it would be Scott. I've heard some recordings of his where excerpts sounded like the folks from Neptune just landed. :laugh: I love it, he's got a total command of synths and the technology but he's coming from a REAL PLAYER background.

He's such a great player AND programmer! He's an absolute master of the Nord Lead, which is one of my fave synths as well. You can see in the video where he is using velocity to trigger the morph groups, a trick of his I read about in an interview. There are too few players who think about those kinds of things. Inspiring.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

He's started a jazz department in Ankara :) Great drummer btw.
That's right, Tuggy, had my towns confused. It's Haccepete (sp?) University. He's there with bassist Matt Hall - friend and bass player in a trio I had (sometimes with Emre) and Skip Gailes is there too, sax player who I've known for years. I might show up over there one of these days.

How 'bout some of The Bad Plus?

The Empire Strikes Backwards - Fun little tune by drummer Dave King. Seems to be based on a string part from Jon William's end title theme of Star Wars: A New Hope.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqoMbHTTUQ

And Here We Test Our Powers of Observation - This performance blew me away the first time I saw it.

Chariots of Fire - Their interpretation of the famous Vangelis tune. I really like the bass line on this one. I also love how the middle free jazz section (warning: if you don't like jazz, you really won't like this part) goes from complete chaos and eventually evolves into a unified return to the chorus.

Digging the other tunes posted so far. Good thread, SK :thu:

You sound like jazz enough...

Maybe for raising some peoples spirits about how synths/keyboards/romplers could possibly work for jazz and newish interpretations:

I did the above some sunday morning a while ago before I used the PC3 and before I had a Lexicon around, on Linux, clearly based on a bit like the Paris new morning recording of the Tipatina song.

I recall the Yamaha S90 ads saying "just what you need": I think so. Why not want even more expressiveness, power and life to instruments and therefore to music?! :)

I played all three tracks, and I´m really not into "attic room" writing/producing and such, but I don´t think there is much of an interesting fusion scene here (Amsterdam) either.

At least Mike and Dennis got to play the big crowd at NSJ, that was cool. A type of sound example I dig from there which I filmed some years ago for those who like that:

Stern at NSJ 35 sec. (mpg 720hd video 8mbit/s, 38 MByte)

I suppose its a fair use very short bootleg.

Carlo, that was a fun piece by Enrico - I especially liked the ending. :)

Thanx for the post, RichieP. Bad Plus has found a way to make acoustic instrumental music acceptable to their audience, which is a notable thing. I think the bass player is the strongest in the trio, the drummer's good too, and the piano player has chops.

Theo! :freak::laugh: I think you've hit upon some new type of art, along with the split screen effects. :grin:

So many cool videos, I can no longer single out the best ones to react to here. Very cool thread, SK.

These guys are my current favourite groovy-indie-pop-happy music. I also had a chance to see them last week. (Maybe live music is important?)

A little more Enrico, this time improvising alone on a Scarlatti sonata.

I know that Scarlatti piece pretty well. Very cool. Enrico is so great.

2005 NY Steinway D

Hey everyone, I'm enjoying this thread very much... keep 'em coming! :thu:

Recently I've been listening to the new CD of Jason Moran a lot. I like how he comes up with very bright and simplicistic motives and throws them in as an ankering point even in the highest point of freak-out-band-interplay.

Unfortunately not a real video, just a still image:

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Excuse my double post but I just found this:

There's so much I love about Hargrove. His tone, his attitude towards his solos, the general funkiness, and he writes beautiful ballads, too! The piano player is a real soulful guy.

I've seen Hargrove live twice with different bands but he was never really killin' like in the video or on his recordings because he was stoned out of his mind :(

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

You sound like jazz enough...

Maybe for raising some peoples spirits about how synths/keyboards/romplers could possibly work for jazz and newish interpretations:

Well, if jazz sounds like that to you....

(...mmm, that would explain many things)

Archived