Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You fill in the punch line...

PianoMan51

Musically -- not for me. And, I'm not the demographic his radio show is shooting for (though it's better than a lot of stuff on the local soft rock station). But at one time, he actually was a "serious" journalist --for WCBS-TV in New York. I was doing TV in Connecticut and used to run into him from time to time. He was an aggressive "big city" dude -- or so it seemed to me, a cub reporter for the hinterland of New Haven.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tiny Tim was more than a joke. He was a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge.

If we start tearing each other down, where does the line get drawn? Who makes the cut and who does not?

The line gets drawn wherever the target draws it.

I concur with the sentiment that Tesh asked for it when he compared himself to Keith Emerson. That makes him subject to scrutiny.

If I compared myself to Keith Emerson, I'd expect similar (and far more brutal) criticism of my playing abilities (particularly since keys are not my strongest instrument, though I've been playing piano far longer than fewer-stringed varieties)

Here is a link to the article. I don't think he compared his music to Emerson's. It seems more that he describes his show as a blending of the folksiness of a "A Prairie Home Companion" show with the production and "visual" experience of an ELP concert.

The whole article

It would seem he has been a lot more successful at doing what he does than many other people have been at doing what they do. Good for him.

Here is a link to the article. I don't think he compared his music to Emerson's. It seems more that he describes his show as a blending of the folksiness of a "A Prairie Home Companion" show with the production and "visual" experience of an ELP concert.

The whole article

It would seem he has been a lot more successful at doing what he does than many other people have been at doing what they do. Good for him.

I read the article. You're interpreting the article statement one way, but that quote could go a lot of different directions. I'm inclined, based on testimony both here and elsewhere of how he mistreats his backing bands, that he wasn't talking about laser lights.

I have gotten way more invested in this thread than is reasonable. But this far in, I had to follow through and read the article . . .

You're assuming an awful lot if you conclude he's comparing himself to Emerson. That sentence isn't even a direct quote, it's the writer's version of what Tesh said his show is like. His show, not his playing.

I was surprised to read that he got kicked out of school for fraudulently signing a teacher's name, then kicked out of his house. Hmm, maybe he's got more edge than we thought . . .

Slamming Tesh has been easy sport for about two decades now. But if a there was a guy who looked and sounded just like Tesh playing on a street corner for change, would we try to take him down? I don't think so. And if the difference-maker is merely his level of success, then that makes us rather petty.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

In my insulated world over here, John Tesh doesn't exist. I have no opinion of him at all, but the YouTube audio posted up thread sounds like a theme to a local news show. Maybe ELP without Emerson.

If you have 100 bucks and a few recording credits, you can join the academy too, and nominate your own stuff. If you send me 100 bucks I'll submit your name for you.
Wow, Cygnus, maybe I should send you 100 bucks so I can be as Grammy successful as John Tesh. As of last week, I'm now half as good as Tesh.

Not boasting... the "nomination" is someone else's project I played on. I've promised that by some fluke it wins, I'll attend the Grammies in a tux and a paper bag over my head.

... the YouTube audio posted up thread sounds like a theme to a local news show. Maybe ELP without Emerson.

That is really f'd up!!! Lake and Palmer have shown to have a bit more going for them than this.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It would seem he has been a lot more successful at doing what he does than many other people have been at doing what they do.

Judging a person's success and judging their musicianship are two different creatures. In this thread, people have said:

he's a strong fit good-looking guy

he's been married to her for 18 years)

he's played a Klingon :rolleyes:

Takes guts to go attempt it.

I'd have a tough time matching his portfolio,

What I've yet to hear: He's a good musician.In fact I've never heard anybody anywhere say it. Portfolios and 18 year marriages and playing Klingons is all great, good for him. If this was a Stock Market Forum, a marriage counseling forum or a Star Trek Forum, we'd all be singing praise at how well he does all those things. It's not, it's a music forum.

If someone said "Wakeman/Emerson/Oscar Peterson/Keith Jarrett/Horowitz etc sucked", nobody would try to mention their 18 year marriage, portfolio or Klingon acting techniques to defend them. No need, the music speaks for itself.

I've never really listened to his stuff. I did see him make a guest appearance once at a Worship concert, but he wasn't stretching out musically (wasn't really the venue for that).

I remember at 17 having a piano lesson and ranting to my teacher about all the "talentless" musicians that were rich & famous. He tore me down to shreds with my naivety- that I didn't understand that producers would limit players and singers from overplaying in order to make sellable pop songs. Years later, I got to jam with Phil Collen from Def Leppard in a hotel bar (he happened to be staying there), and my jaw dropped at his Vai like display of Pyro technics. I had certainly not heard it on record.

I don't doubt for a minute that Tesh can play & play well.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I've only seen him play a few times on TV, adds for the shows being used as PBS fundraisers(IIRC), an interview where he played some of the music he wrote for the Tour De France and maybe a couple of other times. He seems to have been able to hit the keys at which he was aiming. And whether one likes it or not, he wrote the notes.

Comparing that to quite a few of the videos I've seen on YouTube, that gives him a leg up on a large number of "musicians".

Considering how hard it is to get a deal to put out 1 album and then get people to buy it, it seems putting out 50 (and selling quite a few of each) could be considered some level of success.

If at each of the shows/concerts he puts on he has to hire a lot of local musicians and get them to play his music the way he wants it played (some of whom maybe obviously consider his music beneath their skill and taste - but still take the job and cash the check - more than once) in a short time with few rehearsals he might not seem to be trying to be a "buddy" or socialize much.

From what I've seen and read he appears to be a pretty decent guy with a wide range of skills that he has used successfully to be successful. Good for him.

If at each of the shows/concerts he puts on he has to hire a lot of local musicians and get them to play his music the way he wants it played (some of whom maybe obviously consider his music beneath their skill and taste -

You're confusing him with an arranger. An arranger is hired to write charts. Whether they are good or bad depends solely on the skill of the arranger. A good arranger can do "Twinkle Twinkle" and make it interesting if they have the skill. The lead fella usually has absolutely nothing to do with it.

but still take the job and cash the check - more than once)

Again, you seem to be confused. The point of hiring backup musicians is not to stroke ones ego, win a popularity contest, or anything else like that. It's to help your sound. Pros do their very best on every gig, if they don't they simply don't get asked back over and over.

in a short time with few rehearsals he might not seem to be trying to be a "buddy" or socialize much.

"Hello" doesn't take much time. The hundreds of others who use backup musicians are usually pretty friendly, they understand that it takes a team effort. They understand that you want to have a little camaraderie on stage. They understand this because they worked their way through the biz and may have been backup players at gigs too. It's good sense and good musicianship.

If you're interested:

First Tesh gig I did had a scheduled rehearsal from 3-5, break and then soundcheck from 5:30-6. Well, the rehearsal lasted 30 minutes, seriously. We had a break from 3:30-5:30. The soundcheck started late and was maybe 15 minutes. We pretty much read the charts down at the show.

It's too bad you had a bad experience. Really, it's just too bad.

If at each of the shows/concerts he puts on he has to hire a lot of local musicians and get them to play his music the way he wants it played (some of whom maybe obviously consider his music beneath their skill and taste -

You're confusing him with an arranger. An arranger is hired to write charts. Whether they are good or bad depends solely on the skill of the arranger. A good arranger can do "Twinkle Twinkle" and make it interesting if they have the skill. The lead fella usually has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I didn't confuse him with anybody. It is his music and he wants it played his way. He has an employee whose job it is to make that happen.

but still take the job and cash the check - more than once)

Again, you seem to be confused. The point of hiring backup musicians is not to stroke ones ego, win a popularity contest, or anything else like that. It's to help your sound. Pros do their very best on every gig, if they don't they simply don't get asked back over and over.

Again I'm not confused. As you said, he didn't hire people to stroke his ego he hired them to do a job and maybe not bitch about it afterward. Maybe you are disappointed he didn't shmooze with you and stroke yours, I don't know or care. The job doesn't seem to have been so bad that you wouldn't do it a second time.

in a short time with few rehearsals he might not seem to be trying to be a "buddy" or socialize much.

"Hello" doesn't take much time. The hundreds of others who use backup musicians are usually pretty friendly, they understand that it takes a team effort. They understand that you want to have a little camaraderie on stage. They understand this because they worked their way through the biz and may have been backup players at gigs too. It's good sense and good musicianship.

If you're interested:

First Tesh gig I did had a scheduled rehearsal from 3-5, break and then soundcheck from 5:30-6. Well, the rehearsal lasted 30 minutes, seriously. We had a break from 3:30-5:30. The soundcheck started late and was maybe 15 minutes. We pretty much read the charts down at the show.

So it only took a little while to get it down but they planned for plenty of time in case it didn't? And you got paid for the whole time right? And you make it sound so wrong. Why?

So it only took a little while to get it down but they planned for plenty of time in case it didn't? And you got paid for the whole time right? And you make it sound so wrong.

Tell me how I made it sound wrong or right. How? Show me. I told you factually what happened.

I have no beef with the guy. He's just some dude, I know little about him and don't care if he's the grand poobah of life or a street bum, he's just some guy. Good for him that he has success, really.

Maybe you are disappointed he didn't shmooze with you and stroke yours, I don't know or care. The job doesn't seem to have been so bad that you wouldn't do it a second time.

Do you by chance have a picture of him on your nightstand or something?? You keep putting words in my mouth dude, that's ridiculous and myopic.Did I say it was a good or bad gig? I did not. He might be the greatest person in the history of mankind and give every cent to orphaned puppies, I have no idea. All I can do is factually share my experiences of working with the dude. He wasn't friendly or unfriendly. His charts were easy and relatively uninteresting. If you want me to lie, I'll say that they were rewarding and challenging and there was a unicorn there.

I'm doing Mannheim Steamroller next month for about the 75th time. Nice guys. Nice crew. Nice situation and working environment. Decent charts. Organized, pro outfit. I don't care for the music so much. OH MY GOD I'M A HERETIC? No, I'm not. I'm a working stiff musician. Musical taste is objective and subjective, there are no rules. All I can tell you is my experiences. It probably helps my opinion of Steamroller that they are friendly, organized and it's a well-run show. I have nothing more to say.

I'm doing Mannheim Steamroller next month for about the 75th time. Nice guys. Nice crew. Nice situation and working environment.

Wow, I'd enjoy a chance with a gig like that.

:cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have gotten way more invested in this thread than is reasonable. But this far in, I had to follow through and read the article . . .

You're assuming an awful lot if you conclude he's comparing himself to Emerson. That sentence isn't even a direct quote, it's the writer's version of what Tesh said his show is like. His show, not his playing.

I was surprised to read that he got kicked out of school for fraudulently signing a teacher's name, then kicked out of his house. Hmm, maybe he's got more edge than we thought . . .

Slamming Tesh has been easy sport for about two decades now. But if a there was a guy who looked and sounded just like Tesh playing on a street corner for change, would we try to take him down? I don't think so. And if the difference-maker is merely his level of success, then that makes us rather petty.

This is a good post, filled with the proper facts and sentiment.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

On top of all that, he's played a Klingon in a Star Trek Next Generation episode

What episode/season?

I'm just curious...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=john+tesh+klingon

All in fun brother...I'm ok with the question.

Ahh, I recall that episode. John had no speaking part, or maybe just a grunt.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

What I've yet to hear: He's a good musician.In fact I've never heard anybody anywhere say it.

As "good" is subjective, I'll say it...he's a "good" musician. Certainly good enough that it's lame for fellow musicians, in my opinion, to make fun of the guy. Deciding not to fully enjoy someone's music and going so far as to make fun of that person on a keyboard message forum are two very different things, and for me, when I see a musician make fun of another more successful musician, all I see is jealousy.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

This could have been a fun, funny thread, BUT NOOOOOOOOO.

:rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What I've yet to hear: He's a good musician.In fact I've never heard anybody anywhere say it.

As "good" is subjective, I'll say it...he's a "good" musician. Certainly good enough that it's lame for fellow musicians, in my opinion, to make fun of the guy. Deciding not to fully enjoy someone's music and going so far as to make fun of that person on a keyboard message forum are two very different things, and for me, when I see a musician make fun of another more successful musician, all I see is jealousy.

To correct the record, I didn't write the above.

So it only took a little while to get it down but they planned for plenty of time in case it didn't? And you got paid for the whole time right? And you make it sound so wrong.

Tell me how I made it sound wrong or right. How? Show me. I told you factually what happened.

The "seriously" threw me off.

I have no beef with the guy. He's just some dude, I know little about him and don't care if he's the grand poobah of life or a street bum, he's just some guy. Good for him that he has success, really.

Maybe you are disappointed he didn't shmooze with you and stroke yours, I don't know or care. The job doesn't seem to have been so bad that you wouldn't do it a second time.

Do you by chance have a picture of him on your nightstand or something?? You keep putting words in my mouth dude, that's ridiculous and myopic.Did I say it was a good or bad gig? I did not. He might be the greatest person in the history of mankind and give every cent to orphaned puppies, I have no idea. All I can do is factually share my experiences of working with the dude. He wasn't friendly or unfriendly. His charts were easy and relatively uninteresting. If you want me to lie, I'll say that they were rewarding and challenging and there was a unicorn there.

I'm doing Mannheim Steamroller next month for about the 75th time. Nice guys. Nice crew. Nice situation and working environment. Decent charts. Organized, pro outfit. I don't care for the music so much. OH MY GOD I'M A HERETIC? No, I'm not. I'm a working stiff musician. Musical taste is objective and subjective, there are no rules. All I can tell you is my experiences. It probably helps my opinion of Steamroller that they are friendly, organized and it's a well-run show. I have nothing more to say.

Nope, no picture and I wouldn't recognize his music if I heard it.

One thing I've learned in this biz: You don't achieve success by being a hack. You can rag on Tesh or Kenny G or Yanni all you want, but they can all play. And they are all driven, which is even more important when it comes to making it.

Finally words of wisdom from the guy I consider the best player here. Time now for a new thread.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

sheesh, it's sad when a guy has to answer his own post:

You fill in the punch line...

John Tesh is a curious man who, by his own admission, can appear to have attention deficit disorder. He describes his stage show as something like public radio's A Prairie Home Companion blended with a concert by progressive '70s rockers Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Yes, he plays piano like Garrison Keillor and tells jokes like Keith Emerson.

ba-da-boom!

He stopped taking his ADD meds because the piano starts to spin.

blatt!

anybody?

So it only took a little while to get it down but they planned for plenty of time in case it didn't? And you got paid for the whole time right? And you make it sound so wrong. Why?

Ive never seen such LOVE for any artist here! Who KNEW!

(And for the record, I dont think Cygnus was making the appropriated times seem wrong, I took it as showing that he and his other hired brethren were extremely professional and proficient, and if anything, should have made The Tesh feel very comfortable that things would go smoothly. Of course, if it were me (Tesh that is), I would have taken that opportunity to thank everyone for being so professional and wish them a good performance.

Of course, for all I know, union regulations dictate that the orchestra get paid for the allotted rehearsal and soundcheck time, and those things were non-negotiable, in which case, I still would give a thank you as it meant I had hours of my life back due to the orchestras competence and dedication.

But Im no Klingon, sportscaster, nu-age artist, journalist (although Ive been married for 21 years to the same woman and have 2 beautiful kids of my own). Maybe hes just exhausted from doing all that?

One thing I've learned in this biz: You don't achieve success by being a hack. You can rag on Tesh or Kenny G or Yanni all you want, but they can all play. And they are all driven, which is even more important when it comes to making it.

Oh I dont know about that. I have seen some hacks achieve a substantial amount of success. But what I will say is that there is NO substitute for hard work. I dont have to like someones art to respect them. (Is that weird?)

Ill use Brett Michaels as an example. I really dislike Poison. I have seen them live (at the peak of their success), and I was appalled at how truly bad they were. But Ive become a huge fan of Brett Michaels the man. Watching him on The Apprentice was illuminating. The guy works hard, REAL hard. He misses no opportunity. (This is an art in itself, and if anything, is probably his true craft.) He is detail oriented, is a people person, and from what I could see, seems to be one of those uber-rare types who is driven, suffers no fools, and yet is generous at the same time. And watching him in action on that show made me realize that Poison got where they were because he is one hard working mutha. And you cannot NOT respect that.

KISS is another great example. I was a fan in 8th grade for about 6 months; it would have been about 6 weeks if my parents werent so disturbed by the posters I had hanging in my room. (I had been turned on to Kiss Alive in music class as every Friday the teacher let us bring in records to share; while the other kids brought in Kiss, I was bringing in Brain Salad Surgery and A Night At The Operayeah, I was real popular, even then!) Fast forward 30some years, and when my boys were 6 and 8, I took them and 2 of their friends to see KISS Psycho Circus tour (full makeup, original members, the whole deal). And while they thoroughly enjoyed themselves (as a dad, I cant tell you how endearing it is to watch 2 six year old boys watching a concert on the big screen with 3D glasses on, and to have the screen show some pretty gorgeous well-endowed women on the big screen exposing their quite wonderful breasts, and to watch those two boys eyes go saucer-wide and them turn to high-5 each otherit was a very twisted Norman Rockwell moment, but it is what it is). Anyway, it was shocking to me was how totally godawful they were. It was a spectacular presentation visually, but musicallyO.M.G. I couldnt believe that after almost 40 years, they could have marshaled some semblance of competency. SOMETHING would have had to rub off. But they were terrible. And when you see concerts of theirs on TV (MTV broadcasts a few every year), I cant make it more than 15/20 minutes because theyre so bad.musically. KISS is a band that when there are ringers in the band, its actually an improvement. But there is no denying that Gene and Paul work hard. Gene for sure is egotistical, narcissistic and pretty obnoxious, but again, he misses no opportunity, relishes the job of getting to it, and their success (like Bretts) is a testament that they were able to do so much with so little.

I know this sounds like left-handed complimenting, but the truth is, I am a fan of both those organizations, because they show what dedication and elbow grease can do, despite the odds.

I dont hate Tesh. Its worse: I am completely ambivalent about him. He doesnt even cross my radar. I just remember his head tilting all the time on E.T. But I really dont like his music, what Ive heard of it. Same for Yawni. Does that make me jealous or petty? REALLY?

Oh I dont know about that. I have seen some hacks achieve a substantial amount of success. But what I will say is that there is NO substitute for hard work. I dont have to like someones art to respect them. (Is that weird?)

Ill use Brett Michaels as an example. I really dislike Poison. I have seen them live (at the peak of their success), and I was appalled at how truly bad they were. But Ive become a huge fan of Brett Michaels the man. Watching him on The Apprentice was illuminating. The guy works hard, REAL hard. He misses no opportunity. (This is an art in itself, and if anything, is probably his true craft.) He is detail oriented, is a people person, and from what I could see, seems to be one of those uber-rare types who is driven, suffers no fools, and yet is generous at the same time. And watching him in action on that show made me realize that Poison got where they were because he is one hard working mutha. And you cannot NOT respect that.

KISS is another great example. I was a fan in 8th grade for about 6 months; it would have been about 6 weeks if my parents werent so disturbed by the posters I had hanging in my room. (I had been turned on to Kiss Alive in music class as every Friday the teacher let us bring in records to share; while the other kids brought in Kiss, I was bringing in Brain Salad Surgery and A Night At The Operayeah, I was real popular, even then!) Fast forward 30some years, and when my boys were 6 and 8, I took them and 2 of their friends to see KISS Psycho Circus tour (full makeup, original members, the whole deal). And while they thoroughly enjoyed themselves (as a dad, I cant tell you how endearing it is to watch 2 six year old boys watching a concert on the big screen with 3D glasses on, and to have the screen show some pretty gorgeous well-endowed women on the big screen exposing their quite wonderful breasts, and to watch those two boys eyes go saucer-wide and them turn to high-5 each otherit was a very twisted Norman Rockwell moment, but it is what it is). Anyway, it was shocking to me was how totally godawful they were. It was a spectacular presentation visually, but musicallyO.M.G. I couldnt believe that after almost 40 years, they could have marshaled some semblance of competency. SOMETHING would have had to rub off. But they were terrible. And when you see concerts of theirs on TV (MTV broadcasts a few every year), I cant make it more than 15/20 minutes because theyre so bad.musically. KISS is a band that when there are ringers in the band, its actually an improvement. But there is no denying that Gene and Paul work hard. Gene for sure is egotistical, narcissistic and pretty obnoxious, but again, he misses no opportunity, relishes the job of getting to it, and their success (like Bretts) is a testament that they were able to do so much with so little.

I know this sounds like left-handed complimenting, but the truth is, I am a fan of both those organizations, because they show what dedication and elbow grease can do, despite the odds.

I dont hate Tesh. Its worse: I am completely ambivalent about him. He doesnt even cross my radar. I just remember his head tilting all the time on E.T. But I really dont like his music, what Ive heard of it. Same for Yawni. Does that make me jealous or petty? REALLY?

Well said.

Archived