Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You fill in the punch line...

PianoMan51

(Recent quote from the Wilmington Star News:)

John Tesh is a curious man who, by his own admission, can appear to have attention deficit disorder. He describes his stage show as something like public radio's A Prairie Home Companion blended with a concert by progressive '70s rockers Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

- fill in the punch-line -

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That John Tesh would favorably compare himself to either Garrison Keillor or Keith Emerson is a joke all by itself.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I just saw that John Tesh is coming to the best concert venue in town. I can't imagine him on the same stage that has hosted B B King, Dr. John, & Sven Golly.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I just saw that John Tesh is coming to the best concert venue in town.

I've played backup for him several times. The venues here were 3500 and 2500 seats. They were both about half full.

He describes his stage show as something like public radio's A Prairie Home Companion blended with a concert by progressive '70s rockers Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

A more accurate description would be A Prarie Home Companion without much humor, blended with Mannheim Steamroller, except not as good.

(Recent quote from the Wilmington Star News:)

John Tesh is a curious man who, by his own admission, can appear to have attention deficit disorder. He describes his stage show as something like public radio's A Prairie Home Companion blended with a concert by progressive '70s rockers Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

- fill in the punch-line -

That's what she said.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I'm not a fan of John Tesh's music, and he's not the best musician the world has ever seen, but that's not to say he doesn't have some talent. He has won 6 music Emmys, been nominated twice for Grammys, won a KEYBOARD MAGAZINE AWARD, and even won an Associated Press award for investigative journalism. Beyond that he's a strong fit good-looking guy with a hot wife (he's been married to her for 18 years) and a daughter. He continues to have an award-winning syndicated radio show and could seemingly go in almost any direction in the entertainment industry. He also plays the trumpet and sings and has been a musician since he was a little boy. On top of all that, he's played a Klingon in a Star Trek Next Generation episode and is worth millions with continued HUGE earning power.

More power to the guy. I'm certainly not going to make fun of him.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Because it's a Monday morning in November and I will do anything to procrastinate from working, I youtube'd Tesh, about whom I have systematically avoided knowing anything, ever. For instance, I had no idea that he plays worship music. I generally don't listen to worship music. While the messages may be timeless, the music itself, to my ears, is not. But if you're going to judge it on it's musical merits, you should compare apples to apples. I listened to a couple of Tesh's worship tunes and, lo and behold, they're not bad.

Alas, what will I do with the remaining 1:40 of my morning?

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm not a fan of John Tesh's music, and he's not the best musician the world has ever seen, but that's not to say he doesn't have some talent. He has won 6 music Emmys, been nominated twice for Grammys, won a KEYBOARD MAGAZINE AWARD, and even won an Associated Press award for investigative journalism.

I don't know anything about his journalism. As for the rest, it shows the power of celebrity in today's world, and nothing else. I doubt anyone, including him, is under the impression that he could have had any sort of music career had it not been for achieving fame from something else.

Beyond that he's a strong fit good-looking guy with a hot wife (he's been married to her for 18 years) and a daughter.

He wasn't particularly friendly to the backing musicians. Dude had a bit of a 'tude. ;)

Beyond that he's a strong fit good-looking guy with a hot wife (he's been married to her for 18 years) and a daughter.

?

On top of all that, he's played a Klingon in a Star Trek Next Generation episode and is worth millions with continued HUGE earning power.

???

I'm certainly not going to make fun of him.

He was a journalist on Entertainment Tonite before he was a *yawn* New Age Yanni-be. Neither of which smacks of real talent, nor engender my admiration. (Like he or anyone else cares!) McDonalds serves over 99billion, but I dont think anyone would argue that McDonalds is good for you. It serves a function. One could say the same about the Tesh. I respect his accomplishments more than his abilities.

I will still make fun of him if the opportunity arises.

:thu:

(Can someone please make another emoticon, this one with a long, tilted head?)

I'm certainly not going to make fun of him.

He was a journalist on Entertainment Tonite before he was a *yawn* New Age Yanni-be. Neither of which smacks of real talent, nor engender my admiration. (Like he or anyone else cares!) McDonalds serves over 99billion, but I dont think anyone would argue that McDonalds is good for you. It serves a function. One could say the same about the Tesh. I respect his accomplishments more than his abilities.

I will still make fun of him if the opportunity arises.

:thu:

(Can someone please make another emoticon, this one with a long, tilted head?)

Like I said, I'm no fan of his music, but he's got 6 more music Emmys and two more Grammy nominations than I do. How many more does he have than you? Also, his "journalism" goes beyond just hosting Entertainment Tonight...he's done lots of sports reporting in his past, and as a former journalist, I can tell you that the Associated Press doesn't hand out awards willy nilly.

There are lots of people who were famous for something else first who have given music a go and haven't had anywhere near the success that Tesh has had. You said his music serves a function. Well, good for him for finding that function and meeting that need.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

?

On top of all that, he's played a Klingon in a Star Trek Next Generation episode and is worth millions with continued HUGE earning power.

???

Point is that he's got a life that most people would die for. I've got a decent life, so I'm not jealous enough to make fun of a guy who seems to be having a great time.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I'm not a fan of John Tesh's music, and he's not the best musician the world has ever seen, but that's not to say he doesn't have some talent. He has won 6 music Emmys, been nominated twice for Grammys, won a KEYBOARD MAGAZINE AWARD, and even won an Associated Press award for investigative journalism.

I don't know anything about his journalism. As for the rest, it shows the power of celebrity in today's world, and nothing else. I doubt anyone, including him, is under the impression that he could have had any sort of music career had it not been for achieving fame from something else.

He wasn't particularly friendly to the backing musicians. Dude had a bit of a 'tude. ;)

1) Celebrity certainly does have power in today's world; I agree there. There are lots of "musicians" out there though that haven't made it big as musicians even though they are famous for other things. Celebrity alone doesn't do it.

2) Tesh enjoyed early recognition as a musician...that he also achieved fame for something else doesn't diminish his musical ability. Also, that others (and there are many) who are MORE talented than him who don't make it big doesn't diminish his talent. That said, there are a LOT of musicians who make it big who have LESS talent than he does. Hell, there are some who make it big who have less talent than I have...not that I'm bitter!

3) I for sure don't respect people who are mean to others, so since you experienced that first-hand, I can understand your distaste for him. I don't have that first-hand experience, so my opinion of him is not swayed in that way.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

3) I for sure don't respect people who are mean to others, so since you experienced that first-hand, I can understand your distaste for him. I don't have that first-hand experience, so my opinion of him is not swayed in that way.

Maybe he occasionally (but often enough) runs into/recognizes musicians who while happy to badmouth his music are also happy to cash his check. Maybe he also isn't quite as good at hiding that recognition as he would like to be.

Like I said, I'm no fan of his music, but he's got 6 more music Emmys and two more Grammy nominations than I do. How many more does he have than you?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Lame dude, really lame. Tesh is a public figure and subject to criticism.

You might wanna take a second and look up how the grammys work. Who nominated John Tesh? Drum Roll please.............

John Tesh did. ;) It then goes to a political process where schmoozing, phone calls etc work wonders to get on the official "nomination" list. If you have 100 bucks and a few recording credits, you can join the academy too, and nominate your own stuff. If you send me 100 bucks I'll submit your name for you.

"two more Grammy nominations than I do. How many more does he have than you?

I've played on 9 albums that have been nominated, I have 7 more than Tesharoo. I just kicked some Tesh ASSSS! :laugh::laugh:

Maybe he occasionally (but often enough) runs into/recognizes musicians who while happy to badmouth his music are also happy to cash his check.

Those are the people who are actually responsible for him sounding good. The contract doesn't say that you have to like an artist, just do a good job for them. Honestly, I probably would have a completely different feeling about him had he been friendly. He wasn't, I don't think he even acknowledged the backup players.

Like I said, I'm no fan of his music, but he's got 6 more music Emmys and two more Grammy nominations than I do. How many more does he have than you?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Lame dude, really lame. Tesh is a public figure and subject to criticism.

You might wanna take a second and look up how the grammys work. Who nominated John Tesh? Drum Roll please.............

John Tesh did. ;) It then goes to a political process where schmoozing, phone calls etc work wonders to get on the official "nomination" list. If you have 100 bucks and a few recording credits, you can join the academy too, and nominate your own stuff. If you send me 100 bucks I'll submit your name for you.

"two more Grammy nominations than I do. How many more does he have than you?

I've played on 9 albums that have been nominated, I have 7 more than Tesharoo. I just kicked some Tesh ASSSS! :laugh::laugh:

Well, he did write the stuff he was nominated for, and he did WIN 6 music Emmys. Also, he is the front man and not just a backing musician; big difference there in my view. Not saying you aren't talented (though of course I don't really know for sure), but there's a lot more risk when putting your own name and face out there...risk to be shot down, criticized, etc. Takes guts to go attempt it. Anyway, I'm a little surprised at some of the comments here throwing another musician under the bus; not really like this board typically. Not like he's Tiny Tim or something.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Not like he's Tiny Tim or something.

AAAAAAHHHHH. SO it's cool for YOU to throw someone under a bus, but not others. Got it. Wiki:

This stunt was followed by several more appearances on Laugh-In and a recording contract with Reprise Records. He made a name for himself as a novelty performer, guesting with Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, and Jackie Gleason. At the height of his career, he was commanding a weekly salary of $50,000 in Las Vegas,

You've done this I take it? ;)

Not like he's Tiny Tim or something.

AAAAAAHHHHH. SO it's cool for YOU to throw someone under a bus, but not others. Got it. Wiki:

This stunt was followed by several more appearances on Laugh-In and a recording contract with Reprise Records. He made a name for himself as a novelty performer, guesting with Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, and Jackie Gleason. At the height of his career, he was commanding a weekly salary of $50,000 in Las Vegas,

You've done this I take it? ;)

Tiny Tim was an ENTERTAINER, not a serious musician, and he never thought of himself as a serious musician. His act was supposed to be HUMOROUS. John Tesh is NOT presenting himself as a novelty or humorous act, and of course, his playing and writing (while not my cup of tea) is worlds better than the chord-strumming Tiny Tim. Two VERY different animals.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Point is that he's got a life that most people would die for. I've got a decent life, so I'm not jealous enough to make fun of a guy who seems to be having a great time.

Please. Get a grip.

It wouldnt even OCCUR to me to think life I would die for and Tesh in the same sentence/thought/blip. Im blithely content for him. That doesnt mean I owe him anything, including respect. I dont hate on him. He obviously worked hardwhether it was politicking or actually producing something (I neither care, nor know).

As for making fun of him, we didnt bring him up. But when someone has the balls/hubris/audacity to mention himself in the same breath as Keith Emerson, well, expect everyone to take a swing.

Hes not in the same league with Emerson. (Or sport as far as Im concerned.) That doesnt mean Im jealous, or hating. It means hes delusional. And so are you if you think anything otherwise.

Tiny Tim was an ENTERTAINER, not a serious musician, and he never thought of himself as a serious musician.

I gotta level with ya: I don't consider Tesh a serious musician either. Sorry. I'd rather hear Mary Hart, she got good gams at least. Perhaps you're impressed with a guy IN THE TV BIZ who gets awards from THE TV BIZ, but it doesn't do it for me.

Lots of famous-and-feted-but-marginally talented performers need an apologist. Duffy, for instance. I'm keeping my gunpowder dry for her!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

...I've got no problem with Tesh.

Why should I ?

I don't listen to his music, watch his TV stuff, or read anything he writes.

But-I've got a feelin' (just a hunch, though) that the

man can smoke my ass on piano or any other keyboard.

I've also got a feelin' I'd have a tough time matching his portfolio, as well.

He's living a life most of us will never know, and he's doing it playing

keyboards all the way to the bank.

Good for John Tesh...

Archived