Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you play over the noise???

cashews

People are buying grand pianos to hook up player systems (or with player systems already installed) because they want to hear a "real " instrument in their homes, even if the performance is recorded.

I'm not trying to say that "sonic wallpaper" is a step up from that, but maybe I am.

We should be happy any time someone wants a real musician over a DJ (meaning one who just plays tunes from a record), an iPod, or some other recording. Shouldn't we?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cashews, you must be new to jobbing... there is no point in trying to win the attention of a room full of party goers.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

...my point is more that if we are hired we should try to do our job beyond just being wallpaper...

Personally, I'd say that if you're hired as wallpaper, then that's the job - no more, no less.

so why do promoters/owners/others bother hiring live entertainers when only a small percentage may listen or even hear or appreciate the keyboard playing. Is there a perception that a live performance is more engaging or attractive or appealing or ???. why not just play a cd.

if you ignore the money part; i don't understand the concept of having live entertainment if we are just wall paper.

I hear you, but if they're paying, why worry about it? Although I think that even in a situation like that, a live player still adds something; not much, but something.

IMO,being paid to be in a band performing inside the building in the role of "sonic wallpaper" is much better than than being outside the building, knowing there is a function going on, and knowing that all the music is from recordings.

I think people still like to have the presence of live musicians, especially if the music is well played at the right volume. Alas, they don't necessarily care if it's you and your group playing, or somebody else and their group playing, at least not until your group makes a name for itself.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

We should be happy any time someone wants a real musician over a DJ (meaning one who just plays tunes from a record), an iPod, or some other recording. Shouldn't we?

Oh yes, please.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Was asked to play at a church type fundraiser; there was so much chatting/talking background noise that no one heard anything i was playing, ....... couple of times i turned up the volume and they just talked louder.....

any thoughts on how to be heard??

This strikes a chord w/ me 'cause it's sort of what I experience many Sundays when I do music before the morning service. Lord! The louder I get the louder they get. This past week the sound man (who dosen't control my sound by the way) came up to me and said:

"someone asked me to tell you you're too loud!"

I know I should not too expect too much after all these years of playing, but it's like you put all your skills into playing something compelling and no one seems too interested-in fact often I'm "too loud".

Now I've been doing this for years and realize you frequently are just playing for the "ambience" of an event. It's not something to get upset about especially if you're getting paid-fed..whatever. You are getting a chance to play if just for yourself.

Having said that I still get a little peeved some Sundays. Recently I played the Introit almost whisper soft with just filter sweeps and vox patches. Still all the chatter! The minster just got up and called them to order. He had to wave his arms to get their attention.

So I realize it's MY problem and will strive to entertain myself

without getting too loud.

Just don't TELL me i'm too loud!!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I have little to add to this conversation, but as that's never stopped me before:

1) There is a significant difference between live music and recorded / DJ - even if the role is simply wallpaper. Most event planners I've talked to see it as a step up in "cachet" or prestige to have live music in even the most pedestrian and ignored roles. We of course should welcome and encourage that perspective with open arms lest we all get replaced by iPod docks and Bose wave radios.

2) It's simply being professional 101 to maintain event-appropriate volume no matter what some boorish guests are doing. That varies from event to event, venue to venue.

3) Playing for worship (including preludes and postludes), at least for my convictions of faith, should serve a distinct and different role than the "sonic wallpaper" thing we were initially discussing. I realize the practical reality in many churches may be different (for many reasons), but we as worship musicians should aspire to much more. As there are stated guidelines on this forum with regard to this change in topic, I want to respect that and therefore not expand on that thought any further here.

I have little to add to this conversation, but as that's never stopped me before:

3) Playing for worship (including preludes and postludes), at least for my convictions of faith, should serve a distinct and different role than the "sonic wallpaper" thing we were initially discussing. I realize the practical reality in many churches may be different (for many reasons), but we as worship musicians should aspire to much more. As there are stated guidelines on this forum with regard to this change in topic, I want to respect that and therefore not expand on that thought any further here.

I don't believe I would violate any rules by saying I "kind of" hope for a more contemplative attitude as we get closer to the start of the service, but I do sometimes play some very uptempo stuff at the beginning, so maybe blame me for riling them up!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Archived