Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro 3 Pedal Questions

Kenny0

I currently have a Yamaha FC-3 which is a pot, so it's not great for the Electro (I have to insert it just after the point where I feel some resistance, about 40% of the way, before it will work as a sustain pedal.. it works but a strong bump could jar it out)

So here are my questions:

1) For on/off sustain, what do you guys think is the cheapest but decent spring loaded sustain pedal? The $50 FC-3 actually makes squeaking sounds if you don't come down on it pefectly vertically (and the part about it not really being compatible). I'd like this to also work as a soft pedal for my yamaha s90es

2) rotor pedal -- on the electro 3, is this on off (fast slow) or variable? I guess you would use one of those lever-like pedals that isn't spring loaded?

3) volume/swell pedal - I assume it's definitely variable; what do you like?

I would probably order from Sweetwater so I can talk them into a zero percent interest thing on my sweetwater card.

I appreciate your advice!

VPC-1 w/Ivory II & Nord Electro 3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if they have changed things on the NE3 but to use the FC-7 with with an NE2 I had to reverse the polarity of the wires on the pedal. Not a big deal, as the FC-7 is a very good expression pedal.

I believe that you can get by with a Yamaha FC-5 to switch the rotor speed.

Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5d, Yamaha S70xs, QSC K10s

I'm using a Kurzweil (Fatar) expression pedal - 10K linear pot. Fatar is one of the settings available on the E3.

For speed and sustain, I use a couple of Kurzweil pedals, they are normally open (the E3 can be set for either type). I've also used a Yamaha pedal (normally closed), but prefer something that works with all my boards. The pedals are the ones shaped like a piano pedal, not the little stompswitches.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks!

so for rotor speed, it doesn't have to be a latching pedal? You just send a pulse 0->1->0 for example, and it switches the speed? or is it 0 = speed A, 1 = speed B?

I think I'll get one FC5 for sustain/rotor speed and one FC7 for volume, since I probably wouldn't need a sustain while playing organ

VPC-1 w/Ivory II & Nord Electro 3

so for rotor speed, it doesn't have to be a latching pedal? You just send a pulse 0->1->0 for example, and it switches the speed? or is it 0 = speed A, 1 = speed B

That's the way I understand it works. On my C1 the Leslie goes into stop mode when I keep the pedal depressed for about 2 seconds. I don't know if the Electro 3 has this setting, but it's a nice feature.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

AFAIK the Electro doesn't have that stop feature, but you don't need a latching pedal. Any switch pedal will do fine for sustain and rotary control. You can select internally in the Electro polarity for the pedal, if you want leslie control to be latching or momentary and if you want to use the sustain for leslie control or not - I use only one switch pedal connected to the sustain input and it works just fine.

For expression/volume/wah-wah the FC7 is the only way to go, IMHO. Just select Yamaha in the Electro's settings and you're ready to rock! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

For a volume, wah, and rotor speed pedal, the Roland EV-5 works well.

As has been discussed here numerous times, folks don't like the EV5 because it's a short-throw pedal, as opposed to the Yamaha FC7 with its much longer travel. If you've never used a real Hammond, you might not know the difference, but lots of folks feel pretty strongly about this. :thu:

With the Electro3, as has been mentioned, either pedal can be used, unmodified, by setting the proper value in the E3. Earlier Electros require modification of the signal from the pedal (also discussed here many many times).

For a volume, wah, and rotor speed pedal, the Roland EV-5 works well.

As has been discussed here numerous times, folks don't like the EV5 because it's a short-throw pedal, as opposed to the Yamaha FC7 with its much longer travel. If you've never used a real Hammond, you might not know the difference, but lots of folks feel pretty strongly about this. :thu:

With the Electro3, as has been mentioned, either pedal can be used, unmodified, by setting the proper value in the E3. Earlier Electros require modification of the signal from the pedal (also discussed here many many times).

On the other hand, the EV5 works, and is a hell of a lot smaller than the Yamaha....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

On the other hand, the EV5 works, and is a hell of a lot smaller than the Yamaha....

Yes, This is reason I use the EV5, it is small and light. I also have a FC7, it is a much better pedal as far as throw and build quality. I have had the FC7 since the DX7 days!

Archived