Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strumming Question

Professor Monkey

I'm currently learning "Ocean" by John Butler and I've encountered a problem... I've always played solo instrumentals and avoided chords like a plague but I could scrape by if I saw them. But, JB really loves his fast strumming and there's no avoiding this one.

For anyone who hasn't heard this song (you must be crazy if you haven't!), it begins with some finger picking which I find fairly simple. I've always finger picked with the pads of my fingers and thus learned the song in this manner. However, I can not keep up with his strumming at all when he gets to the chords. I don't know if it's that I'm not strumming properly or if it's just not possible to strum this quickly with your fingers without shredding them.

I know John Butler uses acrylic nails and I'm fairly certain he strums with them. I'm considering the idea of purchasing a thumb pick and possibly two finger picks (Fred Kelly Slik Pik/Pro Pik Good Grip Thumbpick and two Alaska piks.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZw9D9c18E

The strumming is about halfway through the song.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His fingers seem very relaxed-almost surely that`s from the nails.

You could approximate that with just fingers, but the only way I could think to play it is, you would have to curl the thumb and index finger inward. If you bring them together they can form a `pick` configuration.

The sound would not be as bright but it would not shred your fingers.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

What Skip describes is sorta what Jeff Beck does when strumming, though he seems to use just the thumb or index finger.

Another option might be palming a pick (real easy with a bit of goo) but getting it out in such a non-stop performance might be tricky.

I dunno, though, it seems to me that if you practiced getting you hand into the right position you could strum that without too much of the wrong type of "shredding".

You just want a hand posture that keeps all your fingertips at the same distance from the strings.

That's cat's got some long nails !

Besides acrylics, etc., dietary gelatin strenghens nails & I've recenly read about something called

that can also strengthen nails.
d=halfnote

I worked on and off with the thump/fingerpick combination and I agree. It can be a challenge. But my problem might be in not sticking with it. Never heard the song, though. Nor seen the video(YouTube is wonky on dial-up)or even heard of the guy you're all talking about. I'll have to go and find it all somewhere and maybe get back to ya.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Yea. I tried it out on a 12 string. Even tougher since I'm not used to hitting two strings or holding two strings down.

Would you say it's a good idea for me to go buy Alaska piks?

And I'm having trouble with the pick slipping up when I do upstrokes

*My problem is when the two strings im hitting are closer together

I only owned two 12-strings in my time. Both Washburns. But other 12-strings I've fiddled with in stores were the same way; the nut is designed so that both strings can only be struck simultaneously on the downstroke. So finger picking is tricky.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Have two friends that have the fake nails (and it feels a little funny when you shake hands with them)...but they do work great for them...they do scratch up their guitars a bit so you have to be a little careful...for me, I just can't get used to finger/thumb picks and pretty much stay with just the finger pads and natural nails along with a pick and hybrid style of picking and grinning...so, my only suggestion is that picks are fairly cheap so try out all of them before going acrylic...
Take care, Larryz

Archived