Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got some GAS for Profesional PIano playing ,

User_35092

Last night i went to a student recital,from the studdents of a ex-piano teacher i had. He is from Russia,he has a Dr in music or piano.

All students played really well, but me and a Friend of mine

We where surprised that the realative new Steinway sounded

funny and had a bad key.

While we here discussion how weird the piano sounded

and seem non responsive to the piano player and etc.

On our back they ask my Ex teacher, to play a little something soo they could take some pictures of him

OMG He played soo beatifully, my heart was hypnotized

by the beautty of the playing, its sounded like a totally

diferent piano-

I had it at that moment and made a personal promise to

have a really serious studdy plan.

Do you have a serious studdy plan? and care to share some of it?

I get new gear

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The best study plan I know of to become a serious piano player is to find an excellent teacher who specializes in the genre you want to learn to play, and commit yourself to daily practice of at least 1 to 2 hours a day, and significantly more than that if your life schedule allows it.

There is a part of Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers that talks about needing 10000 hours of work to master a complicated endeavor to an expert level. That is five years of working full-time (40 hours a week) and taking a couple of weeks off every year.

It's not an original idea of Galdwell's, but he usually does a good job of presenting interesting stuff in a readable fashion.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

well ithink there is a lot specs to pay close atention

when making a plan

1.- making shure you always have that time to practice

2.-' have a clear goal

3. not interruptions

4.- be in good mood.

etc ..

but want to really hear from you i really want to know

I get new gear

I think some times i get i really realyl good teacher but i alwasy get feeling that they dont want to share the really

good secrets .

Of corse they dont, if theiy did then you wood be just as good as theim!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have that received from good enforcement that sumtimes it is irreverent how many you practice times that talent is in the eyes of the beholden and that much bowling and bassballs, it is the resort of mussel mammary and you cannot overcome that bar.

Thinking food.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have that received from good enforcement that sumtimes it is irreverent how many you practice times that talent is in the eyes of the beholden and that much bowling and bassballs, it is the resort of mussel mammary and you cannot overcome that bar.

Thinking food.

Tony, ewe argh a total basturd who kan't pley worth sheit. Y wood we evur take you're advise.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

the truth is .. you can practice a lot

but not havethe advancement that ypu would

have good studying habbits I know that from

a personal testimony. and friends of mine

and comments other profesionals have made

That's why it's important to have a good teacher who'll not only guide you through your development, avoiding the pitfalls and bad habits, but also to give you realistic and attainable goals.

Nobody becomes Keith Jarrett over night, not even Keith Jarrett.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I think some times i get i really realyl good teacher but i alwasy get feeling that they dont want to share the really

good secrets .

Really, there is no secret that anyone can teach you that will make you a good player. The only secret is that with enough practice you can play better than you ever imagined.

good secrets .

Grasshopper... tell these thoughts to your teacher. There is no magic trick that makes you instantly great... everyone has to develop their own style. You need to hear the music you want to make in your head... if the music in your head doesn't sound good, the music coming out of your hands won't either.

Every week, I tell my teacher exactly how I suck... he figures you why I think I suck and designs exercises that help me to suck less in that particular way... I put in 2-3 hours a day for a week, and I suck less in that particular way...

Next week, I tell my teacher exactly how I suck...

If you do this a few hundred times with a good teacher, you will still suck, but not in ways that you can even comprehend today. People who listen to you will think you are incredible... only you will know that you have a long way to go before you can blow yourself away.

Unfortunately, the whole time you are working your ass off, other players will blow you away and make it look easy... like there is a simple trick or something. Good luck.

lerber3 - your post made me reflect on some of the places along the journey:

- not knowing what I want to say, and not being able to play it anyway

- knowing a little of what I'm "supposed" to play, getting competent at just playing that

- growing in vocabulary of what is often played by better players, and learning how to sort of reproduce some of those things

- getting a sense of what I want to say, but still not able to play it

- getting competent in being able to play some of the things I hear in my head

- Getting fluent in saying what I want to say, now struggling with what to say that is personal and unique

edit: I'm not that fluent or competent - but I'm making progress along this journey

That's why it's important to have a good teacher who'll not only guide you through your development, avoiding the pitfalls and bad habits, but also to give you realistic and attainable goals.

exacly ...

but one thing and this is why a good teacher is soo important

i have had lots of teachers and some really good ones

But one time i had a Russian (girl) teacher ..

by far the best teacher i have ever had .

here teaching has light years ahead

and made some progress that

i have never done before .. its was incredible

but i had to drop the clases with her.

I get new gear

Have you ever thought of using a 'professional' (or profesional) spelling teacher? :rolleyes:

Or - to put it another way... ave ewe eveer taught aboot ewsing a provisnal splink teechr?

(that's as bad as I can make it folks - any better suggestions welcome!) :facepalm:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Hey, you could have tipped your teachers to give up their secrets... the more money one spends on secrets and shortcuts, the better one learns that there are none. :)

In a related story: Long ago, there was a local newspaper writer who was promoted from writing gardening tips articles in the Home & Garden section to sudden "Music Critic." He had no music experience and always tried to get "the inside secret" from musicians. (Linwood, I think you'll remember him.)

I was in a club listening to Linwood's band and the critic came in to write a review. He sat at the next table from me, leaned over and asked "Hey Steve, something I've always wanted to know in rhythm and blues, which instrument plays the rhythm and which one plays the blues?"

:freak:

Linwood's band wasn't even playing rhythm & blues. I thought he must be joking, so I said "Well of course, you know to understand rhythm and blues, you first have to understand the concept of the Mojo." He paused, nodded his head and jotted something down on his notepad (like I'd given him the Keys to the Kingdom.) I didn't see the review, so I don't know if it made it into print.

exacly ...

but one thing and this is why a good teacher is soo important

i have had lots of teachers and some really good ones

But one time i had a Russian (girl) teacher ..

by far the best teacher i have ever had .

here teaching has light years ahead

and made some progress that

i have never done before .. its was incredible

but i had to drop the clases with her.

When I am in the mood to listen to some good piano playing one of my favorite people to listen to is a Russian girl .... actually she is Ukrainian.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ValentinaLisitsa#p/u/150/xlcVu8SLDdo

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

read that book "Talent is Overrated" and practice diligently -- set short term goals, reevaluate those goals regularly, and get a lot of input (listening critically to both your own playing (record yourself too) and others to get ideas for new goals, and of course, read books in the genre).

of course I haven't yet done the above so it might be wrong :) It seems logical though. I'm still organizing my life.

Oh if music isn't your job but you still want to pursue it, read Tim Ferriss' "The Four Hour Work Week". There are some truly useful tips in there, and you may think differently about your lifestyle and that first source of income. Great book. Tim Ferriss saved my life

VPC-1 w/Ivory II & Nord Electro 3

There is an anecdote, usually attributed to Horowitz - I'm not entirely sure if it's true, or quoted correctly, but the idea is valid:

A music critic was waiting to interview the aged Horowitz, well into his 80's. The critic waited while the great pianist finished his practice session. Much to his astonishment, he heard the master practicing a major scale in very slow whole notes.

When the pianist appeared for the interview the critic asked him: "Maestro; at your age and accomplishment - why are you practicing such simplistic exercises?" to which Horowitz replied: "I have the illusion that I'm still making progress."

I had a student who came to me to learn piano. I started him on note-reading, basic rhythms, hand position, technique... the third lesson he came to the lesson and said: "I don't need to learn all that; I just want to play like Page McConnell."

If there were any shortcuts or secrets, we'd ALL be doing them. A good teacher and practice practice practice; that's the "secret."

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

The OP seems to be starting from a point of humility. That's a good place to start. I think some of our regular contributors should try going onto a russian chat board and see how well they do with spelling and grammar.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived