Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played acoustic piano today

Synthoid

So I decided to play the baby grand during one song at church today. (Our team leads from the stage, and the acoustic piano is down 3 steps in front of the sanctuary). It doesn't get played as often anymore, but I wanted to see how it sounded in the mix. It was a great experience--sounded great, but good heavens, you'd think I just invented the wheel! The compliments after the service were amazing.

But now that's got me thinking... do people not appreciate the digital piano, strings, organs, choirs, etc. I normally play? Still scratching my head here.

:laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this experience very well. Trust me, folks do appreciate the work you do on the synths and dps - but there is an organic "connectedness" that a real piano has that electronics just can't reach. This is nowhere more true than in a worship service, IMHO.

...there is an organic "connectedness" that a real piano has that electronics just can't reach.

This is a similar thing to the Hammond & REAL Leslie vs simulation.....

ie: a 'real' Leslie spins the air thro' a room.

Likewise, a 'real' acoustic piano has that resonance that you will NEVER get from a digital piano

no matter how good the quality of the amp / speakers.

But, as usual, it's horses for courses - if the room / band is 'quiet' enough without amplification,

an acoustic piano (assuming it's of decent quality, properly regulated & in tune)

is always the best way to go in that situation.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Perhaps you played a little differently on the piano?

Not sure really. I didn't play hundreds of notes or do a back flip, just my normal playing style.

I know I'm more relaxed at a real grand, as the touch to sound connection is obviously superior to that of a dp. The other thing to keep in mind, that I think is especially true in a church setting, is that people hear with their eyes. In my church, our dp sounds better than our midline baby grand with a mediocre mic on it thru the PA, but people defintely appear to respond to the piano more appreciatively than they would to the same piece on the dp. I say integrate it into your church stage rig & enjoy!

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The other thing to keep in mind, that I think is especially true in a church setting, is that people hear with their eyes.

Must be the case here I guess. Perhaps it's also the fact that the old grand doesn't get played that much anymore.

So... Is the acoustic piano on the way out?

Obviously, in a worship service, parishioners connected with the acoustic piano on a level that they didn't/don't with electronics. And because of this, the acoustic piano will always be in production (I hope).

On the other hand, the electronic substitute has quite a few advantages in many situations.

Frankly, I am so glad that I've got my Chickering in the living room... and the Kurzweil in my Man Cave.

And while the B3 may have been cloned pretty well with the Hammond XK system, I don't think the Ventilator will do away with the Leslie tone cabinet. That spinning horn has a lot of character - particularly on the small stage in a small venue.

Of course, just like electronic organs replaced many pipe organs in churches all over, it comes down to money. And for many churches, that's a big deal.

Still... music is cool. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Time changes everything. As more people grow up learning on digital systems. And hear those sounds the less interested the public will be with the acoustic instruments. How many kids are taking lessons today on digital pianos and not an acoustic piano?

There was a time when playing bass only meant:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31AOoHPGN0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Did you elevate the piano on hydraulics and make it spin while playing? ;)

This is what I'm thinking...

Yeah, but I keep spilling my coffee with that setup.

Older people at my church don't like when we use those "toys".

In an Orthodox Church there is no organ or piano music. All the music at my church is a capella Byzantine music. Much of which is like like Gregorian chant except in Greek. I imagine a piano would be considered a toy or worse. I don't know I never heard one played in church to know what the reaction would be.

Uncommon frames of reference I guess.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hey it's better than him just playing Rock Band or whatever.

As long as I've been playing keys, I've only now gotten an acoustic piano. All the teachers I studied with have had acoustics though.

I don't think acoustics are going away, but they'll never be as common as they once were.

Happy birthday daviel!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

On a local Mac forum I saw a post from an 11-year old who announced he was taking piano lessons.

From Garage Band.

On a 49-key M-Audio keyboard.

Eeeesh.

:facepalm:

Archived