Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beatlemania: reprise

whitefang

OK, so it's one of my brothers in law's birthday, and we went to a restaraunt of his choice. It's our family's birthday thing. We all troop to whatever eatery the B'day boy or girl wants to go.

Anyway, afterwards, we all go to his house where my sister in law had a cake she baked for him and had some with coffee. My wife's kid brother(kid? He's 41 now!)was there with his son, an 18 year old named Ian. Ian was the nephew I mentioned in the "practicing on acoustics" thread who let me try out his Schecter. He's not too bad a guitar player, and he has a band that is actually playing club gigs and making money. They're a sort of Goth-rock-death-metal type band. And oddly enough, Ian wasn't too familiar with Beatle music!

My brother in law on the other hand, is a Beatle fool from back in the day. Now, Ian knew of a few Beatle tunes,like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "Help" and a couple of earlier things. Well, my brother in law puts on a compilation CD he burned off of Limewire(one of two, actually)of some of his favorite Beatle tunes. In no particular order. We're sitting in the living room and the CD starts with "I Am the Walrus", a Beatle tune Ian had never heard before. Can you believe that?

Well, HE couldn't! It knocked him over. That was followed by "Strawberry Fields" and then "A Day in the Life". Ian found it hard to believe that the same guys who put out what he called "sugary pop junk" like "She Loves You" were capable of such "Musical and lyrical poetry"! :laugh:

He then went on to mention some death metal gargle band he likes whose music hasn't really changed much in the seven years they've been recording, and was amazed the Beatles music grew "to such breadth" in just four years. We old timers could just sit there and smile indulgently as he carried on about how exciting it must have been for us to be witness to it as it took place, seeing how he was blown away by the music and the fact of it's growth 40 years later.

All we could say was, "Well, it was the BEATLES. We'd come to expect no less!"

So they're STILL racking up the fans! Way to go!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know, considering the type of music Ian plays, and the kinds of words he writes in his songs, I figured lyrics like "Yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog's eye" were right up his alley.

And I'm with you, Larry. I'll never hate holding her hand while she's standing there, either.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived